PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question.

UK-Shootist
08-09-2017, 02:49 PM
Apologies for this, but it bugs me and I can't find out for sure.

I have a Savage .308 F/TR rifle. Nice kit but I'm having a few scope problems, the nature of which doesn't matter. My question is this, When I see scope bases advertised they quote all sorts of different models, many of which I have been given to understand will fit other models, that is to say different models can sometimes take the scope bases for other models.

So...

For my Savage .308 F/TR rifle, which models have the same scope rail requirements? This is mainly for sorting out one piece rails.

Apologies again, and thanks in advance.

RP12
08-09-2017, 02:51 PM
Short action Savage rail. Find the mount you like/want.

J.Baker
08-09-2017, 03:36 PM
Short action, round top. Given it's a PTA action with the small port, you can't use a base that has a built-in recoil lug so keep an eye out for that. Not common, but there are a few out there with them.

olddav
08-09-2017, 04:38 PM
Best source of info is the manufacture of the base/rail you are considering.

MoreorLes
08-09-2017, 08:10 PM
I bought and I'm using a Take Off picatinny rail from a model 10t.
Bought it on Ebay.
It fits my 11 hog hunter in 308. The bolts line up perfectly. The rail does not interfere w loading or ejection of brass.
I'm using medium height 30 mm vortex rings.

Hope this helps.

Les

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

UK-Shootist
08-09-2017, 08:47 PM
Thanks gentlemen. It doesn't help that the mounting holes are out of line! Had to buy a set of rings with compensating inserts. Expensive but good. I do like the rifle though. The design is genius. Change the barrel easy, change the bolt head easy, shoots better than me out of the box (that's far from unique though :( )

Robinhood
08-11-2017, 11:35 AM
I would bet the action suffers from a different condition than base screw alignment. My bet is the action has proud metal on the face pushing the barrel out of alignment. If you bought it used it could even be something more serious.

RC20
08-11-2017, 11:16 PM
Thanks gentlemen. It doesn't help that the mounting holes are out of line! Had to buy a set of rings with compensating inserts. Expensive but good. I do like the rifle though. The design is genius. Change the barrel easy, change the bolt head easy, shoots better than me out of the box (that's far from unique though :( )

Are you saying the screw holes in the receiver are out of line and or spaced wrong?

MoreorLes
08-25-2017, 05:13 PM
How did you resolve your problem?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

UK-Shootist
08-25-2017, 06:24 PM
In the end I adjusted the split ring compensating inserts on the scope rings to take account of the windage error and also to reduce the 30 minute scope rail. The rings are great but they are a PITA to set up. All seems good now although I cannot guarantee that the scope is perfectly dead centre to the barrel, but it's near enough for my shooting. I had bought some Leupold 'turn in' type high rings and bases which would have solved the problem easily but the highest ones I could find were still not high enough to allow the bell on my Nightforce scope to clear the barrel.

deerhunter99
08-26-2017, 07:53 PM
I am so lost !!!!

RC20
08-27-2017, 03:26 PM
Yep, as long as he got it sorted out, it would take me a couple of hours in the shop to try to duplicate what he is talking about (if not weeks!)