PDA

View Full Version : Anyone running PTG DBM with a boyds stock? Having issues

squirrel_slayer
08-09-2017, 11:11 AM
Hello guys, I recently inletted my boyds pro varmint for a PTG detachable bottom metal. I set it where the trigger guard roof is flush with the base of the stock. was a small pain in the arse to hog out that much material.

well after bedding in the DBM I dropped in the action to measure for pillars and function check it. the mag doesn't come up enough to skim a round off. so I shaved off the mag stop as it was hitting the bottom of the action and now it will grab the rounds.

problem is It still sits low and looks as if the DBM needs to come up in the front as they will need to orient towards the feed ramp better and there is hardly any contact with the rim of the round by the bolt and with cycling it has actually skipped over the round after pushing it forward the first inch or so.

thing is, the front of the dbm has a strange swoop to it that doesn't match the stock contour at all, if I go any deeper into the stock it will actually start to recess and leave a gaping hole.

part of me wants to abort this and sell the DBM but then i'll be stuck with a uselss stock. other part of me says just recess it further to get it to function correctly then fill the void with epoxy or body filler then spray bomb the whole thing.

Here is the DBM in question http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/savage-bottom-metal/9138-la-savage-stealth-dbm.html

I'll try and get photo's later today.

Steelhead
08-09-2017, 05:09 PM
I inlet a Choate tactical for PTG bottom metal.
The swoop was pretty far into the stock.

It fed rounds 1000 times better than the stock mag bottom metal.

i tried uploading a pic but no go.
Cartidge is more tha half way up the outside rim of bolt face

squirrel_slayer
08-09-2017, 05:22 PM
I inlet a Choate tactical for PTG bottom metal.
The swoop was pretty far into the stock.

It fed rounds 1000 times better than the stock mag bottom metal.

i tried uploading a pic but no go.
Cartidge is more tha half way up the outside rim of bolt face

ok this makes sense. I was looking at it to fit "cosmetically" looks like i'll just have to sink it in more until it's happy and live with the eyesore or fill the void somehow.

squirrel_slayer
08-10-2017, 08:45 AM
attacked the stock last night and everything is happy. had to recess it quite a bit but it doesn't look as bad as I thought it would.

Thanks for the conformation steelhead!

Steelhead
08-10-2017, 10:00 AM
Glad to be of service!

squirrel_slayer
08-10-2017, 11:06 AM
A little note to those who want to run PTG's DBM on a stagger feed long action. you will need to grind/file/machine part of the receiver towards the rear where the factory mags attach like a good 1/8" of material. if you don't do this you the rounds can stick under the action rather than poking up where they need to be. front appears to be a non issue thus far.