PDA

View Full Version : Model 10 ba stealth, 6.5 Creedmoor can't get bolt all the way in ???

Pages : [1] 2

Ridgerunner
08-06-2017, 11:19 PM
Brand new stealth, wanted to go shoot, and could not get the bolt all the way in because of a black screw in the way. New to this kind of set up, couldn't find any help in manual. Can anyone help please ?

foxx
08-06-2017, 11:45 PM
Not sure which screw that would be, maybe action screw or scope mount?

Regardless, back it out to confirm that is the problem. If it is, grind it down a bit and reinsert. If it's too long, it's too long. Only one good way to fix it.

RustyShackle
08-07-2017, 12:08 AM
Better description of said screw? Is it in the chamber area? Is it the cocking pin on bolt body?

m12lrs
08-07-2017, 06:21 AM
Brand new stealth, wanted to go shoot, and could not get the bolt all the way in because of a black screw in the way. New to this kind of set up, couldn't find any help in manual. Can anyone help please ?

yep

most likely front screws on your scope mount. back it out and trim it. same thing happens where the barrel is threaded in. that scope mount screw is hitting the threads on your barrel most.likely.

it could also be the the action screws. look inside the action and see if they are flush or recessed. if not they.will have to be trimmed.

Ridgerunner
08-07-2017, 09:02 AM
Yes, it's the cocking pin on the bolt

rbp75503
08-07-2017, 11:28 AM
If the cocking pin is in the wrong location you can easily fix by slightly removing the bolt screw to remove tension on the firing pin spring; place the cocking pin in the cocked position; then while holding the pin in the correct position thread the bolt screw back in. If you watch the following U-Tube vid on how to assembly savage bolt you can see how it is done. The important part starts at 3:00 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8Q_Cvme9Jk

Another method is to place the bolt on the edge of a surface and push the cocking pin back into place.

Ridgerunner
08-07-2017, 12:40 PM
If the cocking pin is in the wrong location you can easily fix by slightly removing the bolt screw to remove tension on the firing pin spring; place the cocking pin in the cocked position; then while holding the pin in the correct position thread the bolt screw back in. If you watch the following U-Tube vid on how to assembly savage bolt you can see how it is done. The important part starts at 3:00 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8Q_Cvme9Jk

Another method is to place the bolt on the edge of a surface and push the cocking pin back into place.

Thank you Sir ! I will watch it .

Ridgerunner
08-07-2017, 12:59 PM
Yes, this video is very helpful ! I am puzzled however, that Savage would make the consumer have to go through all this to simply be ready to shoot the weapon. Especially when there's no instructions for this in the owners manual. I hope this is simply an oversight on the part of Savage, this really took away from my excitement of my purchase. Thanks again rbp for the help !

foxx
08-07-2017, 02:15 PM
They normally ship in the cocked position. The bolt cannot be removed without cocking it first.

Sometimes s hit happens. Hope you like your new rifle.

Ridgerunner
08-07-2017, 06:36 PM
I am very aware that sometimes stuff happens, and I am not a rookie in the world of guns. I own about 15 centerfire rifles, all but 2 were purchased new. I have never had any issue with any of these weapons. This is my first Savage, and really hope this is not a common problem. And if you represent Savage, then I sure hope you dont always tell new customers that shi T happens, as it would surely upset people that just purchased a new weapon and couldn't shoot it....

foxx
08-07-2017, 06:57 PM
Woah, Nelly!

No one here represents Savage. No one here will take your concern to Savage. We are just Savage enthusiasts who try to help each other out by sharing ideas, experience, questions and advice. Just sayin' sometimes stuff happens. No, it's not any reflection on Savage.

Welcome to the forum. Hope you like your new toy. :)

Deadshot2
08-07-2017, 07:05 PM
I am very aware that sometimes stuff happens, and I am not a rookie in the world of guns. I own about 15 centerfire rifles, all but 2 were purchased new. I have never had any issue with any of these weapons. This is my first Savage, and really hope this is not a common problem. And if you represent Savage, then I sure hope you dont always tell new customers that shi T happens, as it would surely upset people that just purchased a new weapon and couldn't shoot it....

If manufacturers were to try and cover every possible issue that could occur with their product the Owner's Manual would be as thick as the Manhattan Phone Book used to be. I have rifles from other manufacturers and found the same little annoying issues, a problem not covered in the manual. Some I solved by just observing what was going wrong and fixing, some I dealt with by asking questions of gunsmiths or "factory", and some I've found cures by visiting forums like this.

Rest assured, Savage is no different than other rifle manufacturers. Pretty much all have owner's manuals that are lacking in instruction when we encounter a problem.

rbp75503
08-07-2017, 07:28 PM
Yes, this video is very helpful ! I am puzzled however, that Savage would make the consumer have to go through all this to simply be ready to shoot the weapon. Especially when there's no instructions for this in the owners manual. I hope this is simply an oversight on the part of Savage, this really took away from my excitement of my purchase. Thanks again rbp for the help !

No way of knowing for sure if it left the factory in that condition. May have de-cocked in transit or de-cocked at the LGS. In any case I would look at the situation as an opportunity to learn the workings of a Savage. You now know the steps to disassemble nd assemble the bolt so that you can properly clean your weapon occasionally.

Enjoy your new purchase and feel free to ask any further questions you may have. You will find the forum is a friendly place, with friendly and helpful folks. Lots of info within the different categories.

Ridgerunner
08-07-2017, 08:46 PM
No way of knowing for sure if it left the factory in that condition. May have de-cocked in transit or de-cocked at the LGS. In any case I would look at the situation as an opportunity to learn the workings of a Savage. You now know the steps to disassemble nd assemble the bolt so that you can properly clean your weapon occasionally.

Enjoy your new purchase and feel free to ask any further questions you may have. You will find the forum is a friendly place, with friendly and helpful folks. Lots of info within the different categories.

First of all, my apologies to you Foxx ! I realize you were just trying to help. No excuse for me being a turd, I am just extremely frustrated about having this problem right out of the box . By the way, the bolt was not in the rifle, it was laying loose in the box. Again , my apologies Foxx, and Thanks for all of the other responses.

RustyShackle
08-07-2017, 08:54 PM
Glad you got things figured out, sorry that cocking pin had been tripped. LGS probably should have caught that!

Cheers!

foxx
08-07-2017, 08:56 PM
^^^Cool. My apologies, as well, if I came off rude or condescending.

Just more FYI, they all ship with the bolt handle ina bag with the manual. It is pretty much impossible for it to come uncocked by itself. If it did, there is CERTAINLY a SERIOUS problem. No reason for it to leave the factory that way because it cannot be insertwed into the action uncocked (as you found out) and it cannot be removed unless it is cocked. Only thing I can think of is something like the bolt handle had to be replaced before it was shipped. That would require uncocking. Other than something like that, the LGS had reason to play with it and decocked it. Like I said, "S hit happens." What I meant was there's no explaining it, but it's not a big deal to reset if you know what to do. The factory does not expect you to have to cock it yourself, it's actually MORE work to decock it than it is to just put in the dang box and ship it out.

Let us know how it shoots.

Adding to what Rusty Shackle said... I am surprised you left the shop without letting them demonstrate how it functions, confirming safety features, etc.

m12lrs
08-08-2017, 05:27 AM
well chalk it up to experience

now you know how to cock and.decock the bolt out of the rifle. something.every savage owner needs to know

Zero333
08-08-2017, 08:18 AM
Not all bolts can be cocked by loosening the rear bolt screw. Some bolts have a cocking indicator and have to he cocked on a piece of wood the hard way.

BillPa
08-08-2017, 09:26 AM
something.every savage owner needs to know
Its something anyone using turn bolt rifle should know how to do, Savage or any other off brand. :p

To wit, one morning at O dark thirty my son came busting though the laurel "Dad, I can't get the bolt in my rifle!" Somehow he had managed to uncock the bolt for the Mod 70 he was using. Now just try cocking a bolt while making oral love to a Mag-Lite to see what you're doing and using a the edge of treestand for a bench vise when up a tree! I had to take a few stabs at it but on the third or forth try ...success!

Bill

wbm
08-08-2017, 01:34 PM
Great story Bill. Love it!