PDA

View Full Version : Model 10 ba stealth, 6.5 Creedmoor can't get bolt all the way in ???

Pages : 1 [2]

RP12
08-08-2017, 02:17 PM
If the bolt is uncocked the indicator isn't in the way.

RP12
08-08-2017, 02:24 PM
Not all bolts can be cocked by loosening the rear bolt screw. Some bolts have a cocking indicator and have to he cocked on a piece of wood the hard way.I recock all mine that way, even though the indicator is not in the way when uncocked.

Robinhood
08-10-2017, 08:57 PM
Now just try cocking a bolt while making oral love to a Mag-Lite

Bill

I had to look at my address bar to make sure I was on the right site.

foxx
08-10-2017, 10:16 PM
^^^LOL

Deadshot2
08-11-2017, 12:01 PM
Its something anyone using turn bolt rifle should know how to do, Savage or any other off brand. :p

To wit, one morning at O dark thirty my son came busting though the laurel "Dad, I can't get the bolt in my rifle!" Somehow he had managed to uncock the bolt for the Mod 70 he was using. Now just try cocking a bolt while making oral love to a Mag-Lite to see what you're doing and using a the edge of treestand for a bench vise when up a tree! I had to take a few stabs at it but on the third or forth try ...success!

Bill

On a Remington a shoelace is a great tool. Tie in a loop, hook on cocking piece, pull and rotate. Cuts down on the # of cuss words required.

On the Savage a fired case with the case mouth against the round surface, gripping bolt in hands and pushing with thumb(s) against case head works pretty good too. If you have a fat shoelace that works too.

BTW, everyone should carry spare boot/shoe laces. Can't count the number of times they have come in handy and sometimes even for my boot or shoe.

Robinhood
08-11-2017, 03:33 PM
On a Remington a shoelace is a great tool. Tie in a loop, hook on cocking piece, pull and rotate. Cuts down on the # of cuss words required.

On the Savage a fired case with the case mouth against the round surface, gripping bolt in hands and pushing with thumb(s) against case head works pretty good too. If you have a fat shoelace that works too.

BTW, everyone should carry spare boot/shoe laces. Can't count the number of times they have come in handy and sometimes even for my boot or shoe.

Yep!

Deadshot2
08-11-2017, 06:13 PM
Yep!

Did I mention that a shoelace also makes a great improvised bore cleaning tool?. Out hunting and you stuff your muzzle in the mud? Get as much out with a stick or whatever, tie a piece of T-Shirt to the end of a shoelace and drop the other end through the barrel from the chamber end. Pull through and clean out the bore. When your wife does your laundry she's bound to ask about the piece of T-shirt missing along the bottom hem. Tell her the story then just use the laundered T-Shirt to cut regular cleaning patches from it. About a years supply if you cut them right. :p

BTW, how many here have come home from a hunting trip missing part of their T-Shirt after a sudden "Call of Nature" and you wanted something softer than a handful of leaves or some moss? :cool:

foxx
08-11-2017, 09:21 PM
^^^Uh, oh.

Yeah. Guilty.

Robinhood
08-11-2017, 10:53 PM
TMI

foxx
08-11-2017, 11:22 PM
Yeah. Probably so.

kcb38
08-12-2017, 01:43 PM
It took a bit of head scratching on my part to get my bolt back in my new 10 FCP the first time too. I took it apart, cleaned and lubed it and reassembled it, only to find the cocking pin was in the wrong position to allow the bolt to slide back into the action. I removed the BA screw, moved the cocking pin into the correct position and then found that the screw wouldn't go in far enough to engage the threads. After much consternation I realized what was happening. I assembled it in the uncocked position and cocked it by hand so the bolt could be installed. Since then I've learned that it's a little easier start the screw with the pin in the uncocked position and then move it to the cocked position before tightening the screw the rest of the way.

And yeah, a little mention of that procedure in the manual would've been awful nice. This is a basic operation that every owner will run into if they maintain their rifle. I can't imagine why they chose not to include it.