PDA

View Full Version : Ladder test question..

mbohuntr
08-06-2017, 08:30 PM
I have a bunch of allegedly once fired brass, sorted by brand. Is there any reason these should not be used for a ladder test after full length sizing as opposed to once fired brass I bought new and neck sized?

I'm thinking... why waste the bullets to fire form and then test if I don't have to...

Thanks
Mike

olddav
08-07-2017, 07:59 AM
Just to get things started, I would say use the brass you have. I'm guessing that you are developing a hunting load or you would have acquired some quality brass and screened/sorted it by weight, volume, length, color, sheen etc.....:rolleyes:

Zero333
08-08-2017, 08:45 AM
It's usually better to develop a load with fireformed brass but you will get workable results with your non-fireformed brass. You'll just have to fine tune a little.

mbohuntr
08-08-2017, 06:52 PM
It's usually better to develop a load with fireformed brass but you will get workable results with your non-fireformed brass. You'll just have to fine tune a little.

I kinda thought so, I'm just looking for nodes here, and will compare 3 shot groups within a node once I narrow it down.. Thank-you!

m12lrs
08-10-2017, 05:51 PM
only way you will know is try it. see how it.works.out for you in the end

i try new ideas all the time

Robinhood
08-10-2017, 08:44 PM
I would discard any rounds from the test that have high neck tension.

mbohuntr
08-10-2017, 08:50 PM
I would discard any rounds from the test that have high neck tension.

How can I tell that? Use a crony?

Robinhood
08-10-2017, 09:03 PM
The arm on your reloading press will tell you. If the bullet goes in with different pressure on each case your test will tell you nothing. They should all go in with relatively the same effort. Get to know the feel of your press. Full length sizing can tell you a lot about the hardness of your brass if you try to lube them all the same.

mbohuntr
08-11-2017, 06:18 AM
The arm on your reloading press will tell you. If the bullet goes in with different pressure on each case your test will tell you nothing. They should all go in with relatively the same effort. Get to know the feel of your press. Full length sizing can tell you a lot about the hardness of your brass if you try to lube them all the same.

THANK-YOU! Just had an "Ah hah" moment... if the used brass is old, and worked more, it gets hard, and will give a different neck tension because of the lack of plasticity!!!

Good stuff, Thanks!

Robinhood
08-11-2017, 09:02 AM
Correct. If you have the tools to check variations in certain dimensions after sizing like base to shoulder and outside neck diameter, that will tell you when you need to anneal.