PDA

View Full Version : Accustock vertical restraint

Pages : 1 [2]

RustyShackle
11-05-2017, 01:23 PM
Again, I am curious how we have arrived at this conclusion. .003 could be a high spot. Blueing might help/ maybe a custom lapping bar. The OP has provided no information to this question.

I just took a set of feeler gauges to mine through the magazine opening and started seeing what would fit in the gap between the two points. About 0.003 to 0.005 is where mine is at. So far the rifle is a real good factory shooter though. My avatar pic is from this rifle at 300 yards shooting factory ammo(corelokt). My reloads do just a smidge better.

So so far I don’t think it’s really causing any harm, also the alignment of the three pieces(receiver, stock, bottom metal) are off somewhere. Just a few thousandths on something but it requires having screws started prior to start torquing anything. Everything has to be “loosely” assembled and then apply torque to screws.

foxx
11-05-2017, 02:00 PM
I would expect it to be that way... (needing to loosely assemble everything before proceeding to tighten stuff). THe "plan" is to draw the action into the stock's rails. Those rails will gradually squeeze the action and secure it in place. If you start to tighten one screw before the other, it will get cockeyed and the holes will not align properly. If it were doable, they would probably be better to turn both screws at the same time will equal torque. That not being practical, they recommend you alternate between the two, tightening them incrementally.

RustyShackle
11-05-2017, 02:53 PM
Correct, I’m trying to say that between the three pieces something is off just a smidge. If I assemble the pieces and try to the thread the screws it’s a no go on one of them. The bottom metal the stock and the receiver all have to be”loose” if that makes any sense. I think the issue is with the bottom metal, but I haven’t fully investigated it. But yes, incrementally tighten between them is appropriate.

foxx
11-05-2017, 03:03 PM
^^^I think, for the most part, they are all like that.

noflier
12-29-2017, 09:06 PM
Well, I came up with a technique that has worked for me. I used a secondary C-clamp to help push the receiver and stock together in the region of the front screw, while the action screws were torqued to 35 in-lbs. Then the C-clamp is removed. Now my action is seated securely against the aluminum pillar according to a feeler gauge inserted through the empty magazine access. And a check at the range gave me 0.4 inches at 100 yards. So I believe my accustock is now set up and operating as intended, and with a simple solution, and I am satisfied with this.

foxx
12-29-2017, 09:36 PM
Sounds good.

chop house
12-30-2017, 08:21 AM
Put a magnetic indicator base on the front receiver ring, and a dial indicator on the rear. See if the action flexes as you tighten the action screws. If I were a betting man...

this is no doubt the way to check bedding integrity.

here's another tip... if you don't have a lathe to turn a receiver simulator, don't have the barrel off, or don't have dial indicators: it just happens the receiver od is very close to the od of 1" pvc thick wall pipe WHEN that pipe is shimmed with 1 layer of inexpensive duct tape. cut a piece about 5" long, lay it in the channel with the front bedding area exposed, and you might be able to visualize what is happening.

70oldsracer
12-30-2017, 12:26 PM
I just went through this with my Acuustock. When the barreled action was all torqued down, I could still get a piece of copy paper (.004") between the action and the front and rear pillars on the stock. I took a piece of pipe (similar diameter to the action) wrapped in sandpaper and went back and forth on the rails until the action was snug in the stock and actually touched both pillars when it was properly torqued down. I then bed the recoil lug to remove any movement of the barreled action. I feel this should allow me to take the barreled action in and out of the stock and still get the same point of impact, as long as I follow the correct torque sequence and specs.

hereinaz
12-31-2017, 03:55 PM
Meh, I just can't get myself to like the sides squeezing the action, bottomed or not. I dremelled the sides so they didn't touch the action. Then bedded the recoil lug and under action screws like a normal stock.

Shot these two groups at 575 yards with Federal Berger Match in my 12fv 6.5 creedmoor. Yeah, I also ground out for the factory recoil lug.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171231/15419198935fcf1d3e978e046e22746a.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171231/6405143fe9effaa824fa90cd8d034498.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Willy
12-31-2017, 05:31 PM
I`m a little surprised you would even think of starting to torque any bolts before all the bolts have first of all been inserted and started. Almost in any assembly, in a vehicle engine or what ever you have, it`s standard practice to start all the bolts, then start tightening them gradually and in a sequence.

70oldsracer
01-01-2018, 01:03 PM
I`m a little surprised you would even think of starting to torque any bolts before all the bolts have first of all been inserted and started. Almost in any assembly, in a vehicle engine or what ever you have, it`s standard practice to start all the bolts, then start tightening them gradually and in a sequence.

Here is the recommended torque sequence for an accustock.

Proper Torque Sequence For The AccuStock
by JW (http://www.savageshooters.com/member.php?6379-JW)

Rate this article

Published on 11-18-2013 09:14 AM

3 Comments (http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?265-Proper-Torque-Sequence-For-The-AccuStock#comments) http://www.savageshooters.com/images/misc/comment.png

The other day I had a informative conversation with Mr. Chris Bezzina (an engineer at Savage Arms) who played a part in the development of the AccuStock. I wanted to get detailed information on torque specs for the 10 LE weapons series. There is a sequence for reassembling in the manuals but for ultimate accuracy wanted by advanced shooters the recommended sequence is as follows.

Proper Adjustment of The AccuStock
There is a specific technique for assembling the action into the AccuStock, and it needs to be strictly adhered to as follows:

1. Ensure that the recoil lug “wedge” screw is backed out to the point where the wedge has sufficient vertical movement to allow the recoil lug to seat against the bottom of the aluminum rail.

2. With the action inserted into the stock, justify the action toward the rear of the stock to allow the recoil lug on the action to be seated against the boss on the aluminum rail.

3. Tighten the forward most screw to 10 in.-lbs. to seat the action against the aluminum rail boss, then back out one-half turn.

4. Tighten the middle action screw to 10 in.-lbs.

5. Tighten the rear action screw to 10 in.-lbs.

6. Tighten the forward action screw to 10 in.-lbs

Repeat steps four through six and increase torque value in increments up to a final torque value of 40 to 45 in.-lbs.

Note: It is extremely important to tighten per the instructions above because when you are tightening the action down into the AccuStock you are spreading the aluminum side rails and evenly moving the action down onto the base of the rail, ensuring positive engagement.

—Chris Bezzina, Savage Arms