PDA

View Full Version : Savage 11VT?

70oldsracer
08-06-2017, 08:24 AM
I bought a Savage 11VT in .243 (varmint contour) from Dicks a while ago. I have since changed out the barrel to a 7mm-08 standard contour. I was wondering, when looking at aftermarket stocks, what exactly do I look for. I know it's a short action with 4.4" bolt spacing, standard barrel contour, bottom bolt release and a detachable magazine, but I believe the bottom metal is actually from the Savage axis. Does anyone know what model # action they used, is it an 11? I really don't see too many options for the Savage short action and I don't want to order the wrong stock. I would also like to switch out the plastic bottom metal for steel if possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated. It also has the accutrigger.

Thanks,

Frank

jlsbassman
08-06-2017, 09:02 AM
I have 2 of the VT rifles, one has a Boyds Pro Varmint the other has has a Choate Tactical. The Boyds I had to get a model 11 stock with sporter channel and just sanded it out to fit the heavy barrel contour. Choate has one made for bottom bolt release. Also the regular savage bottom metal(the metal found on model 10)will fit either stock. I changed mine and use a 10 rd mag.
Any interest in getting rid of the 243 barrel?

Robinhood
08-06-2017, 10:16 AM
Your mag will disassemble to be used in a blind mag stock and a l-clip will need to be aquired. Resolving the plastic bottom frame on an aftermarket stock is an issue that needs to be discussed. Otherwise the purchase of the metal bottom frame and magazine cap will need to be used.

70oldsracer
08-07-2017, 05:10 AM
I have 2 of the VT rifles, one has a Boyds Pro Varmint the other has has a Choate Tactical. The Boyds I had to get a model 11 stock with sporter channel and just sanded it out to fit the heavy barrel contour. Choate has one made for bottom bolt release. Also the regular savage bottom metal(the metal found on model 10)will fit either stock. I changed mine and use a 10 rd mag.
Any interest in getting rid of the 243 barrel?

Can I buy the model 10 bottom metal directly from Savage? do you have any part numbers? Not sure if I'm going to sell the .243 barrel. I might just pick up another action and put another rifle together.

jlsbassman
08-07-2017, 06:47 AM
I haven't bought anything directly from Savage, you'll probably just have to give them a call and see. I bought mine on here in the classified section.

lanman_cw
08-07-2017, 09:22 AM
Can I buy the model 10 bottom metal directly from Savage? do you have any part numbers? Not sure if I'm going to sell the .243 barrel. I might just pick up another action and put another rifle together.

Yes you can buy the parts directly from Savage. Just give them a ring.

Part numbers I bought were:
1. 106705 Frame Assy, short matte
2. 106245 Mag Bottom Short Matte
3. 107217 Trigger Guard Assy Matte

I used these to drop my action into a Bell and Carlson M40 inletted for the bottom bolt release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

70oldsracer
08-07-2017, 09:44 AM
Yes you can buy the parts directly from Savage. Just give them a ring.

Part numbers I bought were:
1. 106705 Frame Assy, short matte
2. 106245 Mag Bottom Short Matte
3. 107217 Trigger Guard Assy Matte

I used these to drop my action into a Bell and Carlson M40 inletted for the bottom bolt release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. I just called savage and I'm looking at approx. $140 with shipping for those parts. Just wondering if I'm better off putting the money into a different bottom metal all together.

lanman_cw
08-07-2017, 09:50 AM
That is about what I paid. I wan't interested in sending off my stock to have it re-inletted for a new bottom metal and mag system. The Savage parts worked for me and all I had to do was drop them in place. There might be others that are drop in or close to with a bit of sanding. I was more interested in getting up and running as soon as I could and not shipping my stock off to be fitted for the new DBM. Personal preference goes a long way.

70oldsracer
08-07-2017, 01:11 PM
That is about what I paid. I wan't interested in sending off my stock to have it re-inletted for a new bottom metal and mag system. The Savage parts worked for me and all I had to do was drop them in place. There might be others that are drop in or close to with a bit of sanding. I was more interested in getting up and running as soon as I could and not shipping my stock off to be fitted for the new DBM. Personal preference goes a long way. I found bottom metal, a magazine and a stock in the classifieds, but I can't leave a message on the actual post. I sent him a PM telling him I'll take it. Would you happen to know why I can't respond to his post?

foxx
08-07-2017, 02:58 PM
You have tobe a paid member to post in the classifieds. (about $15 per year, well worth it).

You still might be able to PM him, though.

70oldsracer
08-07-2017, 03:45 PM
You have tobe a paid member to post in the classifieds. (about $15 per year, well worth it).

You still might be able to PM him, though.

Thanks.