PDA

View Full Version : Wheeler Engineering Nut Wrench and Action Wrench

clerkofkirk
08-05-2017, 10:58 AM
Putting together an order to Midwayusa and wondered if these are any good.

Wheeler Engineering Savage barrel nut wrench (2 wrenches and a shim)
Wheeler Engineering Action Wrench #2

Only plan on using them on a Savage. Would I be better off with NSS?

RC20
08-05-2017, 12:15 PM
Better off with NSS by a lot IMNSHO

Boondoggle
08-05-2017, 02:49 PM
I just agonized and googled myself into the ground over this. Get the NSS barrel nut wrench and the Viper barrel vise. If you want an action wrench too get the NSS. If you're removing a smooth barrel nut use a pipe wrench.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

JeepsAndGuns
08-05-2017, 07:46 PM
Putting together an order to Midwayusa and wondered if these are any good.

Wheeler Engineering Savage barrel nut wrench (2 wrenches and a shim)
Wheeler Engineering Action Wrench #2

Only plan on using them on a Savage. Would I be better off with NSS?

I have both of those and have done 3 barrel jobs so far. I have had zero issues with them and they work great.

RC20
08-05-2017, 07:58 PM
The NSS is a step above the Wheeler and has some good features on both the Nut wrench and the Action Wrench that Wheeler does not have.

I went with the long wrench, short one works and you have a hole in the wrench for a breaker bar (or torque wrench if you are inclined to using those which I am)

The first time you run into a stuck nut is the time you wish you had the longer one. One of mine took all my considerable heft, 14 inches of nut wrench and a 1/2 inch breaker bar to break loose.

That is a lot of leverage.

In the Action vs vice, it has a lot to do with how the process feels to you.

I am more than happy with the Action Wrench. Boondnoggle decided the vice was better and happy with it.

Boondoggle
08-05-2017, 08:09 PM
My decision to go with the barrel vise came down to my small reloading bench and not having a regular bench vise and no where really to mount one. I used two 4" C clamps on the viper barrel vise and it worked like a champ. Truth be told if I had a bigger work area and a bench vise already, I'd of gotten the action wrench from NSS.

As a good friend of mine used to say whatever blows your dress up.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

hereinaz
08-06-2017, 02:47 AM
Have heard guys complain about the barrel nut wrench thay clamps on with the shim. Bolt breaking and other stuff. Do a search on the forum maybe.

Like most, I use a pipe wrench and throw away smooth nuts. One was so bad, I used an angle grinder and carefully cut it most of the way through before it would break loose.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Robinhood
08-06-2017, 10:29 AM
I'm happy too see that nobody mentioned a hammer. I use the barrel vise to hold everything in place. the action wrench rotated against the table as a anti-rotation device and break over bar or other suitable tool to turn the nut. No off axis stress ..or at least it is minimized. Anyway you want it.

Zero333
08-06-2017, 10:34 AM
I've have the 2 Wheeler nut wrenches and I absolutely love the smooth barrel nut wrench. I am able to take off smooth barrel nuts with out leaving any sign on them. I did however brake the bolt that tightens the smooth nut wrench. Got a replacement bolt from Rona (like a Home depot).

The regular barrel nut from Wheeler is OK. I've used it a dozen times and works like it should. I like that it's long because I've had some tough barrel nuts and I got them off by striking the wrench with a hammer to send a shockwave into the nut, and it worked nicely for 2 very tough nuts.

DrThunder88
08-12-2017, 09:31 PM
I have the Wheeler action wrench, and it's worked perfectly for the many Axis and 12FV builds I've done. I don't see either product as superior to the other. That said, considering they're about the same price, I'd go with the forum sponsor first next time!

RC20
08-13-2017, 11:31 AM
The NSS has a slot cut out for the lug. I don't have a Wheeler, but the NSS is very nicely done, I like that kind of workmanship a lot and was surprised at the low cost.

And for starting out at least, it gives you a manual with torque specs for the main cap bolts, the receiver holding screw as well as for the Savage nut going back on.

I know you can just guess at all of it and am doing so more and more, but for starting out its nice to have the data.

Of course you need a torque wrench (I have those from my engine working days so not something I had to buy)

One Caveat: One of my Savage actions does not like being tightened up to the spec for the action wrench, the other two are fine.

I have learned to keep the hardware loose on that one, it works, I don't like it and not a clue why the one action is different.

On the other hand it shoots just fine if I can so........ it was the last action I bought and a Bottom bolt release so I don't know if there have been sublet changes in Savage. The other two are 15 years old and off a 12FV.

clerkofkirk
08-13-2017, 01:33 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I have an NSS Action wrench, NSS Barrel Nut Wrench and Viper barrel vise on the way.