PDA

View Full Version : Bolt body differences?

Smokey262
09-03-2010, 10:44 PM
I installed a SSS fluted bolt body tonight that I bought from a member here. I installed the bolt and noticed that the rear baffle ball slot was indexed a bit differently, then noticed that the bolt would only rotate about 60 deg.

I dis-assembled it and found that the cocking ramp was in a different position radially relative to the two bolt handle ears at the back of the body compared to the original Stevens 200 bolt body.

Any ideas what's different and why?

82boy
09-04-2010, 06:52 PM
To start: SSS may have re-cut the ramp, and re-worked the ball slot, this is a couple of things that is done in a T&T job. There was a change in the bolt bodies sometime in the early mid 2000's. They use a different cocking piece, and they are slightly different. The newer version is recessed in the back so that it can be used for both left handed and right handed actions. Prior to this they used two different bolt bodies depending if it was a right or left handed action.

Smokey262
09-04-2010, 07:14 PM
Thank Pat. I do not believe SSS has modified this in any way except for adding the fluting.

I will post a pic later so it can be identified and resold to someone who can use it.

Blue Avenger
09-04-2010, 07:45 PM
there was an older bolt body that was a 1/4 turn different in the cross pin. handle pins and ramps should be the same.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/gcidso123/img1283643647766.jpg

Smokey262
09-04-2010, 08:11 PM
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e115/rm_5960/boltbody.jpg

In the left hand image, the bottom of the cocking cam is on the verticle centerline of the bolt body. Notice the handle ears are not in the same positions

In the right hand image you can kind of see that the cocking cams are identical and in the same plane, but once again the bolt handle ears are not aligned in the same plane

Both bodies are the same length (short action) and the bolt head pins are in the same position radially

Blue Avenger
09-04-2010, 11:04 PM
right you are, have not seen that before.

sharpshooter
09-05-2010, 12:17 AM
That bolt body is a factory screw up. The cocking ramp is out of phase, the baffle detent should be in the center of the right bolt handle ear.
This happens on occasion, because the bolt bodies are not inspected prior assembly. Once assembled and tried in an action, this one would have been rejected at the plant. When I purchase bolt bodies, these parts are "as they come" from the vendor, so they can be out of spec and the personnel that pack these as replacement parts have no idea if they are correct or not because they have not be assembled into a complete assembly.
The bolt bodies are manufactured on a Swiss type CNC machining center and it is not uncommon to get one that is out of phase or short. I make it a point to measure them for length because I have received several that were short. Up to this point, I never noticed any having the cocking ramp out of phase, but I never made it a point to check.
I don't know who you got it from, but that's irrelavant, it was still not right to begin with. Send it back to me and I will replace it, or...I will flute your original bolt body if you would rather do that.

Smokey262
09-05-2010, 12:30 AM
Thanks Fred, for both the answer and the very gracious offer., which I will gladly accept.