PDA

View Full Version : What is up with savage arms?

Doug Kennedy
08-01-2017, 02:40 PM
3 guns in the last year with problems
1- 6mmbr LRPV. I brought it new. It had a h.s precision stock on it. The stock was warped so bad that the barrel was rubbing the end of the forend on the left side.

2- stealth in 6.5 creedmore had the wrong barrel on it. Had to send it in and wait 10 weeks for it.

3- The savage/Cabela's model 10t in 6 creedmoor. The chamber is over,.125-.150 too short! Lol qc must be a joke at the factory!

Robinhood
08-01-2017, 03:52 PM
Nearly every institution that you know or have known is now owned by a holding/investment company. Profits for the stake holders is everything. All of them will be milked dry in a short period of time. Hospitals, Hardware stores, department stores. All owned by investment firms. Sorry, what were we talking about?

culpeper
08-02-2017, 07:26 AM
From now on when I get a new Savage it will only be for the action and trigger. Everything else is just junk.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

deerhunter99
08-02-2017, 07:08 PM
Robinhood, how sad the truth is !!!!

RP12
08-02-2017, 07:19 PM
Crossing my fingers I got 2 good ones. I recently bought a couple new ones.

want2ride
08-02-2017, 09:50 PM
1 year ago I bought my first savage since the mid 90's, now I have lots here goes.

1st one- 10T in 6.5 Creedmoor, I lightened the trigger and had to put 60 rounds through it to break it in, but it is a 3/4 inch group gun... sometimes less

2nd one- Used 116 7mm Mag. I am having a hard time getting it to group, It seems like my first shot is right on the bullseye and after that it makes a nice group of the next 3 shots at 1 1/2" low. I do know that the barrel touches the plastic stock. but the trigger is fantastic and smooth and somewhere under 3 lbs. I like it, but wish I could make it group with 162 eld-x, it seems slightly better with 160 Gamekings and even better with 139 BTSP Hornady bullets, but still 1 shot 1" high and the next two touching each other about an inch low. I might have to put a 26" Varmint barrel on it and keep it a 7mm Mag to get better performance

3rd one- 6.5 Creedmoor LRP.... absolute tack driver and I love this gun and everything about it. I have 500 rounds through it and just took it out past 780 for the first time.... all the way to 1000 and I hit a 12" gong 7 out of 10 shots after it took me 6 shots to walk it in.

4th one- 300 WSM Bear Hunter No matter what I do, the groups never really get better than 7/8" or worse than a little over an inch with the 212 ELD-X. I figure that is good enough, and I really like the trigger pull, and absolutely love the gun.

5th one- Savage Axis 25-06, it shoots decent (under an inch with factory ammo) with the trigger mod and overall I like it despite the crappy stock. I have 20 rounds through it so no big review.

6th one- Savage Axis 7mm 08, It has a really uncomfortable sharp kick with 140 gr factory hunting loads. It seems to group just over an inch even with the Timney trigger. Not really a fan of this gun, even with the trigger mad it was not acceptable so I got the timney. The timney is nice but didn't make me like the gun much more... Just something about it, with 2 1/2 boxes of ammo, the uncomfortable kick and crappy stock.. I just don't like it much.

7th one- Just got it 12FV 22-250, haven't shot it yet, but the stock looks decent for a cheap gun, and the trigger feels good.

Overall I got some decent shooters and some FANTASTIC! I expect every one of them to be under MOA, and so far only the 7mm Mag and 7mm 08 are disappointing , but still not poor shooters by any stretch.

CBryars2
08-03-2017, 03:31 PM
I got 3 stealths in 6 months, had a 110 FCP in 338 prior to that. 2 had some issues:
1. 6.5 came with 22" barrel - Savage fixed in 4 weeks at their expense and even did not flute at my request - Very happy now, sub-MOA.
2. 300WM scope rail would not stay tight - Savage fixed in 2-3 weeks - Sub-MOA no issues now - favorite rifle
3. 338 Lapua - no issues, sub-MOA

Compare this to some other guns I have gotten recently:
1. 6.5 RPR - handguard misaligned, lucikly could fix it myself.
2. 9mm Canik - Return twice for FTF 8 out of 100 rounds, on 2nd time they replace with new pistol.

Small sample but roughly 1/2 the firearms I have gotten over last 3-4 years have had issues. If you read Snipers Hide about early RPR issues, it sounds like a horror story.

The whole ownership by holding companies and the massive sales spikes may have worked together to lower QC.

Ones I have now work really well, not looking to spin the quality wheel again anytime soon.

Thanks Cameron