PDA

View Full Version : Model 16 lightweight or model 11 TH .223

Jacklegg
07-31-2017, 02:55 PM
Looking at picking up a bolt action .223. I'm on a budget. Under $600 and was curious which of these 2 are the best. I know I want it in .223. If there is a different model that you recommend let me know. Thanks for the help. Looking for pros and cons. Have a good one

Boondoggle
07-31-2017, 03:18 PM
I bought a 16 LWH in 6.5 Creedmoor. If you haven't shot a lightweight rifle before (mine was 6 lbs 11oz scope and rings) the need to be shot differently than a varmint or heavier barrel. The do not like free recoil so controlling the fore end is critical for accuracy although .223 won't be as jumpy as the Creedmoor was obviously.

The rifle shot well but I got frustrated with load development. After 3 shots the barrel is hot and the amount of time for it to cool drove me crazy. I actually ordered a #4 contour barrel that should be here by Tuesday and I'm going to swap it.

Full disclosure this was my first rifle with a sporter barrel not to mention the very lightweight barrel and I was working up loads in June and July. Let's say there was a lot of operator error early on that enhanced my final frustration.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Robinhood
07-31-2017, 11:24 PM
Get t he cabelas Model 12 Savage for 419.

smokinjoe
08-01-2017, 07:20 AM
Really like my model 16 LWH in 6.5 creedmoor found a 2 great loads and 3 shot groups are ok with me then let barrel cool down it's a hunting weapon but it will shoot sub moa groups.

foxx
08-01-2017, 09:33 AM
If you haven't already, check out this review by Mr. Furious.
http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?407-Savage-Model-16-Lightweight-Hunter-in-223-Remington

The TH and LWH are essentially the same quality. For all practical purposes, they will likely shoot, handle and function the same. Because the 16 is SS, I would recommend it over the TH.
However, as Robinhood suggested, the 12FV from Cabelas is a better "deal" and I would add a better design. It is a top bolt release model, and therefore more practical/easy to use and more aftermarket trigger and stock options.

Intended purpose and design is completely opposite extreme, though. It has a blind mag (top loading only, non detachable) and longer, heavy varmint barrel. It's intended for longer range target and varmint shooting. If you ever plan to do any customizing, it is the best option out there.

J.Baker
08-01-2017, 11:00 AM
Get t he cabelas Model 12 Savage for 419.

Not everybody wants a long heavy barrel on their rifle.

J.Baker
08-01-2017, 11:15 AM
Your decision basically boils down to whether or not you care about weight. The two rifles are pretty much identical in form and function, the difference is the 16 LWH has the lightened receiver and a 2" shorter barrel that's also a little thinner (due to the shorter length). That weight savings and the upgrade to stainless steel comes at a higher price though, so you have to decide if it's worth the extra money to you or not.

Unlike some around here, I don't necessarily see the bottom bolt release as a definitive negative. From a functional standpoint it works - some are just to stubborn to take a couple minutes to figure out the trick to doing it that makes it just as quick and easy to use as the top bolt release. The limited aftermarket trigger options with it is true, but given how easy it is to work over an AccuTrigger to lighten them up I don't really see a need for an aftermarket trigger unless you're wanting something super light for benchrest. One can get down to a pound or so simply by swapping out the spring which is plenty light enough for most any need or use short of benchrest. Given the models you're looking at it's pretty clear this will be a hunting rifle so there's no need (or sense) for a trigger lighter than 1.5-2 pounds IMO.

RP12
08-01-2017, 11:41 AM
I'd just be happy with one of those fluted bolt bodies myself.

foxx
08-01-2017, 11:57 AM
And I agree 100% with everything Mr. Furious added.

Robinhood
08-01-2017, 10:26 PM
Not everybody wants a long heavy barrel on their rifle.
I initially started my post suggesting the 16. It is what I prefer at this juncture. It holds its value and it is ...stainless. I merely added an option that could get the OP in the game quickly with room for a better scope than what the TH offers. The OP stated he was on a budget. Budget means compromise to me. Either way he goes, a lighter barrel or heavier barrel is chump change away.

I like the bottom bolt release. It looks cleaner and is easier to operate. I am not much on the trigger guard and have modified all but one of mine to function without it.

dranrab
08-03-2017, 10:25 PM
I have a LWH in 223 and am loving it so far. My first loads went into less than an inch. That's a 3 shot group. The rifle is just a joy to shoot and carry.

jpdown
08-04-2017, 12:27 PM
Same stock and DBM on both. LWH barrel is 2 in. shorter and weight is about 6 oz less than the 22" factory sporter barrel. I like the looks of the LWH action with the fluted bolt, but weight is only about 2 oz less than standard Savage action. Thus the 16 TH XP with the scope included is a better overall value unless 2" in overall length and about 8 oz less weight are important.