PDA

View Full Version : Which Action

LinemanBob
07-28-2017, 11:42 AM
I have a cheap Savage Model 12 FV in .308. I have decided to upgrade and wonder if I should upgrade using my existing 12FV action or buy some other savage model.. Is the 12FV as good as any of the other model 12 savage rifles??

Erik_J
07-28-2017, 11:53 AM
I would love to see some opinions on this as well. My 12FV action seems to operate much nicer than my two model 10s. Should they all be the same? Did I get lucky and get far right of the probability curve?

SageRat Shooter
07-28-2017, 12:34 PM
In my opinion, it is the best platform to build from at this current time. And will have the most aftermarket parts available to you. Sure wish they made it in a LEFTY...

RC20
07-28-2017, 01:09 PM
I think you need to both understand and get some perspective.

The 12/110 is the same basic action through the Savage line. So yes it is a fine one to build on (even better as the 12FV has the acu trigger)

The bolt head allows for close to custom blue print rifle.

Now, the $65 questions, how good are you and what do you want?

Me? I am over 60, I am never going to be Dale Tubbs. sigh, tears and all that. In my opinion, the 12FV that I have the Bull 308 barrel on is very likely a 1/4 inch gun. Maybe 3/8, but someplace in there.

I can shoot pretty consistently with known good ammo 5/8 and under, I touch 1/4 at times but not steadily.

So while I believe the gun can do it, I can't. Why? Easy, ammo, trigger control.

I build pretty high quality ammo, not bench rest shooter quite but pretty close.

Trigger control then becomes paramount and that is an amazingly hard thing to do.

I think I am about to the point I need the red sear. Maybe not quite, but close.

If you are good enough to take advantage of better, then we are talking a Savage single shot receiver, custom receiver and target grade trigger.

hereinaz
07-28-2017, 01:50 PM
As far as I know, Savage manufacturers a whole bunch of short action receivers, some of them get turned into model 12fv or whatever other action there is.

Now, given that you get the jeweled Bolt, slotted barrel nut, Accu trigger, and the oversized bolt handle, for around $400, it is the best action to buy and build off of.

It is also the top bolt release which in many opinions is far better than the bottom bolt release.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

hereinaz
07-28-2017, 01:51 PM
As far as I know, Savage manufacturers a whole bunch of short action receivers, some of them get turned into model 12fv or whatever other action there is.

Now, given that you get the jeweled Bolt, slotted barrel nut, Accu trigger, and the oversized bolt handle, for around $400, it is the best action to buy and build off of.

It is also the top bolt release which in many opinions is far better than the bottom bolt release.

Sent from my SM-G920V using TapatalkMy point is that I don't think the 12fv gets any more attention than most any other gun they build, but it is a nice platform.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

LinemanBob
07-28-2017, 03:12 PM
I think you need to both understand and get some perspective.

The 12/110 is the same basic action through the Savage line. So yes it is a fine one to build on (even better as the 12FV has the acu trigger)

The bolt head allows for close to custom blue print rifle.

Now, the $65 questions, how good are you and what do you want?

Me? I am over 60, I am never going to be Dale Tubbs. sigh, tears and all that. In my opinion, the 12FV that I have the Bull 308 barrel on is very likely a 1/4 inch gun. Maybe 3/8, but someplace in there.

I can shoot pretty consistently with known good ammo 5/8 and under, I touch 1/4 at times but not steadily.

So while I believe the gun can do it, I can't. Why? Easy, ammo, trigger control.

I build pretty high quality ammo, not bench rest shooter quite but pretty close.

Trigger control then becomes paramount and that is an amazingly hard thing to do.

I think I am about to the point I need the red sear. Maybe not quite, but close.

If you are good enough to take advantage of better, then we are talking a Savage single shot receiver, custom receiver and target grade trigger.

Well, trust me, my plain stock 12FV from Cabela's is already much more capable than I will ever be. But I do enjoy having nice things. That is why my bolt action .22 is an Anschultz 1712 with a VX3 Leopold scope. So after putting 3k in my .22 I wont miss any meals if I spend $1200.00 on my model 12FV. If that is a good basic action to start with I pretty much know what I want to do.. Thanks .

cowtownup
07-28-2017, 05:50 PM
I took a Savage Model 12FV, put a 28" CBI 260 Match barrel on it, installed a rifle basix SAV-2 trigger, bedded it into a SSS LVT stock and shot F-Open with it last year. At midrange (600 yards) I averaged 196 - 8x for the entire year. My best day was a 598-44x in which I shot my best midrange score ever at 200-18x. Now, I'm not giving the Model 12FV all the credit for that, for I think CBI spun up one hummer of a barrel the day it was made. I think I had $1400 in that rifle not counting the scope. She has a little over 2000 rounds on her now and is slowing fading, but will be remembered as one of the best barrels I've ever owned...

Don't hesitate to build on that 12FV...