PDA

View Full Version : Grinding stock recoil lug for accustock ?

smokinjoe
07-24-2017, 12:38 PM
Ok I have a accustock that I am going to put on my 6.5cm model 16 lwh just wondering if anyone has ground down a standard recoil lug for a accustock and how it turned out ? I have a Midway .180" vertical side lug but don't have all the tools yet to barrel change go/ nogo gauge's etc. so I'd like to install the stock and keep shooting until I do but have a dremel and I think it's possible without having to remove anything.

RC20
07-24-2017, 01:22 PM
I have modified stock to fit but not ground down the lug.

It seems doable, I would be inclined to a file rather than the dremel. Easier to maintain your surface.

Robinhood
07-24-2017, 02:22 PM
I did one after it was ground flat, It worked well but the work was done off the rifle.

RCE1
07-24-2017, 10:08 PM
Ideally, a surface grinder would yield best results. That way you would be flat and parallel on both sides. More nice guns have been screwed up with Dremel tools than anything else I can think of, except maybe vice-grips. That being said, I have both and use both on a regular basis.

smokinjoe
07-25-2017, 05:55 AM
Yup I started on it yesterday it's a lot of work using both and file but leaving the rear face alone finally got it to fit still think I'll get the right tools and put the proper recoil lug on.

RC20
07-25-2017, 11:49 AM
I too have a dremel and use it. But a small rotating grinder is the wrong tool to take a larger flat surface down.

Deadshot2
07-25-2017, 07:53 PM
I too have a dremel and use it. But a small rotating grinder is the wrong tool to take a larger flat surface down.

Yes, not right tool but when that's what you have to work with then that's what you use. That's where metal working skills can often overcome "equipment handicaps".

I re-worked a recoil lug for a Remington, from Holland style to parallel side style when I fitted a barreled action into a MDT chassis. Took several grinding tools and most of a day but now it's hard to tell the difference after finishing with a flat mill file. Also used a lot of sharpie ink :) :)

sharpshooter
07-25-2017, 11:44 PM
You'd be better off modding the stock to accept the tapered side lug. The parallel side lug is weaker and will bend on the inside corners. I've replaced several 1/4" parallel side recoil lugs on 110 BA 338's that were bent.

smokinjoe
07-26-2017, 07:57 AM
Yes, not right tool but when that's what you have to work with then that's what you use. That's where metal working skills can often overcome "equipment handicaps".

I re-worked a recoil lug for a Remington, from Holland style to parallel side style when I fitted a barreled action into a MDT chassis. Took several grinding tools and most of a day but now it's hard to tell the difference after finishing with a flat mill file. Also used a lot of sharpie ink :) :)

That's exactly the way I did it the sharpie and a good file came in handy.

smokinjoe
07-26-2017, 08:00 AM
[QUOTE=sharpshooter;412202]You'd be better off modding the stock to accept the tapered side lug. The parallel side lug is weaker and will bend on the inside corners. I've replaced several 1/4" parallel side recoil lugs on 110 BA 338's that were bent.[/QUOTE

I'm shooting a 6.5cm I shouldn't have that problem.

homer76
07-30-2017, 06:44 PM
I modified a regular recoil lug to fit an accustock. I marked what I needed to remove with a pen. I used a Drexel to remove most of the taper and finished it with a file. I then used a file to make the lug thinner. I filed the side that would be furthest from the action. It's not pretty but it worked.