PDA

View Full Version : Current Recommendations for Stealth Stock?

Brad737
07-23-2017, 12:25 PM
Hello all,

I just ordered my second Savage, a Stealth in 6.5 Creedmoor. I also bought a 6-24x50 Vortex PST Viper for it. I knew from the outset that the Fab Defense stock would need to get replaced as soon as possible. I've read that some folks replace it with a Magpul PRS with the stock adapter, and others use a Luth-AR MBA-1. I'm considering perhaps using the MBA-3 instead, since it has the locking screw to prevent wobble. My question is if there are any other options out there I may not have heard of? My personal requirements are that the stock is solid, with decent adjustability, and a cheekrest that will enable me to position my head for good eye relief. Oh yeah, I'd like to get one without paying an arm and a leg...maybe $200 or under? What can you folks recommend?

Thanks,
Brad

orenp
07-23-2017, 01:45 PM
I put a XLR Industries Tactical Buttstock on my Stealth. $225 + shipping. Very well made and very functional. Good flat spot on the bottom for a bag. Lots of adjustment.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Brad737
07-24-2017, 10:56 AM
Thanks, Oren. That looks like a sweet solution. Is there anything you don't like about it? May I ask what type of scope and rings you have on your Stealth?

Thanks,
Brad

I put a XLR Industries Tactical Buttstock on my Stealth. $225 + shipping. Very well made and very functional. Good flat spot on the bottom for a bag. Lots of adjustment.

orenp
07-24-2017, 02:14 PM
The only issue that I have is working around the cheekpiece while cleaning. I have to raise it all the way so I can get my rod handle past (through) it. In hindsight, I should have bought a 6" longer rod.
I have a Burris XTR II 5-25 on Burris rings. They're the ones with 6 screws and the poly liner that's adjustable. I have no complaints.

Phranque
07-24-2017, 08:09 PM
The only issue that I have is working around the cheekpiece while cleaning.

+1

I personally would not recommend an XLR buttstock unless you get the folding adapter to go with it, which I think is an additional $115. I seriously do like the stock, but it can be a royal PITA to get dialed in just right using allen screws.... and once you do, you really do NOT want to go messing with it. Without the folding adapter, the cheekpiece is in the way if you want to run a cleaning rod into the breach. A folder will get it out of the way without any adjustments required...
Other viable options would be something like a Magpul PRS or MDT Skeleton with wheel adjusters for the cheekpiece & LOP.... just dial the cheek down, clean, and dial it right back up to where it was..

orenp
07-24-2017, 08:38 PM
Or buy a 6" longer cleaning rod. Problem solved. No folding stock. And once I dialed it in its set - locked down. I don't need the knobs. Allen screws work fine. I personally don't like folding buttstocks. Or lots of knobs for adjustments. Set it right once, tighten it down and forget it. But thats just me. Old curmudgen set in my ways....

Phranque
07-24-2017, 08:48 PM
Then your cheekpiece must be higher or lower than the bore... mine just happens to be perfectly in line with the bore, meaning that to go over, or under, the riser would induce a flex in the rod while going into the chamber...

orenp
07-24-2017, 08:58 PM
That is a problem. Mine is high enough that I have a clear shot at the bore. Do you have the problem with Magpul or Luth buttstocks?

Robinhood
07-26-2017, 12:08 AM
Personal experience with the fixed stock. The Luth buttstock is very functional. The Luth buttstock is cheap and light. It is like motorcycle tires on a race car to me.

Brad737
07-26-2017, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the input, gents. My Stealth is "Out For Delivery" as I type. I REALLY like the look of the XLR, but the folding mechanism is sold out. I think I'm leaning towards the Luth-AR at this point. I think my plan will be to get the MBA-3 to get up and running, and perhaps get the XLR when the folder is available again. Then, I'll transfer the MBA-3 to a 6.5 Grendel AR.

I'm really excited for it to arrive. I have a Vortex PST for it, but I still need a set of nice scope rings.

Thanks,
Brad