PDA

View Full Version : best value barrel

Pages : 1 [2]

RC20
08-05-2017, 12:30 PM
If you are willing to go the price LW can be had in any setup you want. They do have the 6.5 -06 Reamer.

Its just the Savage Pre fit that is limited.

I had a 7.5 Swiss build off a 308 caliber barrel. I paid $570 including shipping as its a custom.

Its also shooting a tad better than .250 groups at 100 yards.

For me it was unique build that was doable so the extra was not a factor.

I am more than impressed with the LW though.

CaptnC
08-05-2017, 11:59 PM
Thanks RC20...but both X-Caliber and McGowan are over $100.00 cheaper. And that includes threading the barrels for a brake.

I guess I've found the best deal on a decent barrel. Apache has the best price but I've read the Green Mountain barrels are a crap shoot on accuracy because I'm not planning on getting a bull barrel.

Thanks again for the heads up!

RC20
08-06-2017, 10:39 AM
You are welcome.

I know you have to sort out all the factors. For me the 7.5 was a once in a life build.
Also preferred keeping it all done in one place for no questions if there was a problem.

The Pre Fit are the best value out there I think. Plan on the 308 eventually.

Limited in contours to the Varmint profile, but that has been more than fine on the 7.5.

If I get into the 6.5 end I can go with the 260 Remington pre fit. Will see if they come out with some of the other ones.

J.Baker
08-09-2017, 01:47 PM
Split the butthurt posts off into their own thread that can be found here: http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?58116-As-the-World-Turns

Bigbuckdn
08-28-2017, 09:00 PM
Shaw fan here

CPOSHOOTER
09-01-2017, 12:55 PM
I agree with GaryB and Haiku Rodney, eab or Shaw for a hunting barrel. They are good value for the money. If budget constraint is not the issue then the market is wide open and I have had good results from almost all makers. I did get a bad barrel from McGowen but they IMEDIATELY replaced it. The new one shoots great.

Tarheelpwr
09-12-2017, 10:10 AM
Just a heads up for all you "budget" seekers. If you have a C&R, a lot of the folks extend dealer pricing your way. When Jim had NSS, he offered 20% on CBI barrels - not sure if the new owner will as well, but he seemed like he could be talked into it. McGowen and Shaw also honor it for dealer pricing.

It is SIMPLE to get one and costs $30 for 3 years. Buy one barrel and it has paid for itself.