PDA

View Full Version : 110 BA - Day 1

Nefarioud
09-02-2010, 11:26 PM
Well, today's plans got foiled before the day began with work stuff.

So Instead of a well thought out step by step approach to load development; I decided to go out and make some noise and bang some steel

The first thing I noticed after the first round was that there was no recoil. My 308 bench gun running 175's at 2950 packs way more punch

10 Rounds into a box of Prvi Partizan the next thing that occurred to me was "this is gonna get pricey" even at only $.90 per round this is an all day shooter and I could see myself easily burning through 150-200 rounds with no problem.

Something funny happened while sighting in:

I dialed my way to the 500M gong in about three shots on the fourth I fired and the gong just stayed there. There was a huge dust cloud but the gong stayed still. I figured I missed and made 10 more attempts to no avail, Huge dust cloud gong sat still, so we went for a walk to see what was going on. Turns out I was shooting through the gong. The 500M is my only gong made out of something other than 1/2" AR-500 it's a 1 1/2" thick cast iron pipe cover and the FMJ 250's were blowing big ragged holes right through it.

AT 625M I switched to 300MK's over 78.2 Grains of IMR 4350. I dialed in either 5 or 10 minutes I forget) from the 500M setting with the PP 250's and sighted in on the target for a spotter round, first shot hit! Laid 5 more into that gong and moved to 725M Added 10 minutes, WAY to much. Dialed back to 5 foot over the top settled on 4.5 Minutes from the 625 Setting, Put 10 into that gong and moved to 915M and spent the rest of the time hitting that with most of the 20 remaining rounds.

If you like to make noise you need one of these, particularly if you're a public land shooter. It cleared out everyone around in about 20 minutes.

I'm quite pleased with the rifle. I'll take the time to tune the load; but, what a great way to spend an afternoon!

Things noted:

The bore looked like a thing of beauty from the factory.
You will lose friends if they stand ANYWHERE other than between you 5 and 7
Double hearing protection a must
The stock works fine, but is a PITA when it's time to clean
19 pounds with scope saves in shoulder pain.
Bolt feels very "Savagey", But I love Savages
The farther away the targets were the more like a laser the thing became.
I need a heavier Bi-Pod

I'm as much for a build your own anything as the next guy; but I'm glad I just bought this. I should get back to work I have a new baby to feed.

bodywerks
09-03-2010, 05:54 AM
Cool deal! Sounds like you're really enjoying it. Yeah, I took my 110ba up against my 1/2" stainless gong at 550 yards. It was my first time past 100 with this rifle and I hadn't chrony'd any of my handloads, but I took a guess at 7 minutes. I fired the shot and about 3/4 second later I see this 15" steel gong start swinging wildly and fall to the ground. It was obviously a hit! And it looks like I guessed pretty good on the elevation, as I was only about 2" above the center of the gong. Anyway, this is what a 300g Berger hollow point does to 1/2" stainless @550:
http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz53/bodywerks/2010-08-16100440.jpg

Nefarioud
09-03-2010, 01:25 PM
Cool deal! Sounds like you're really enjoying it. Yeah, I took my 110ba up against my 1/2" stainless gong at 550 yards. It was my first time past 100 with this rifle and I hadn't chrony'd any of my handloads, but I took a guess at 7 minutes. I fired the shot and about 3/4 second later I see this 15" steel gong start swinging wildly and fall to the ground. It was obviously a hit! And it looks like I guessed pretty good on the elevation, as I was only about 2" above the center of the gong. Anyway, this is what a 300g Berger hollow point does to 1/2" stainless @550:
http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz53/bodywerks/2010-08-16100440.jpg

Nice!!! Love the Crater. How long have you had the BA? This is my first gun in a while that I was actually anxious to shoot. I'll get around to the serious load work etc eventually but I'm thinking I need at least one gun that's obnoxious and just plain fun for a while :)

I'm wondering where I can get some plain FMJ's like the PP, bet it's a Croatia thing

bodywerks
09-03-2010, 06:45 PM
Only had it about 3 weeks. Already ditched the accuwedge and did a bedding job on it, installed a SSS competition trigger, removed the overkill scope rail and installed an egw 20 MOA base, modified the butt piece by raising it about 1.3" to be more inline with my shoulder when in the prone position.
I haven't had quite the same luck with accuracy as you - only about 1 MOA, but its not nearly as big a concern as the heavy Bolt lift I'm experiencing with nowhere near the Max loads of retumbo. I can only get to about 88 grains before I start to have to tap the bolt handle to extract the fired brass. I'm using hornady brass, though, and I've heard that it has had its share of issues.. I have some lapua brass coming, and if it doesn't get rid if the bolt lift problems it'll be going back to savage, because I have also read that this 110 BA has a tendency to be chambered kinda tight.

bodywerks
09-03-2010, 07:06 PM
A few pics of the things I've done.
The buttpiece. I just relocated the hole for the main extension rod and tapped the alignment rod and drilled a hole in the buttpiece where it needed to go and bolted it on:
http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz53/bodywerks/IMG_20100903_154715.jpg
Then the egw base in leau of the tacticool rail. Also notice the pod claws on thebipod:
http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz53/bodywerks/IMG_20100903_154657.jpg
And the bedded stock. I'm just not sold on the accustock idea:
http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz53/bodywerks/accuwedge/IMG_20100828_190804.jpg

Nefarioud
09-03-2010, 08:27 PM
I can only get to about 88 grains before I start to have to tap the bolt handle to extract the fired brass. I'm using hornady brass, though, and I've heard that it has had its share of issues.. I have some lapua brass coming, and if it doesn't get rid if the bolt lift problems it'll be going back to savage, because I have also read that this 110 BA has a tendency to be chambered kinda tight.

I wonder if it's the brass. I sized the Prvi Partizan cases today and noticed that of the 40 I fired about ten had grown substantially in the extractor grove,these are factory loaded but not known to be of GREAT quality. I measured the Lapua that I fired at the same time they were in great shape.

I'm not sure mine's all that accurate All of the plates I was shooting were at least 2 MOA in diameter, but I really only expect "minute of tweeker" from this thing anyway. I got it to make noise and hit man size, or thereabouts, really far away. I'll leave the ultra precise stuff for the smaller caliber stuff I have.

I like the gun better without the "structure" on the top. Is that a standard long action EGW? I have a Nightforce 20MOA base on the way for my 110 FP, but it hasn't arrived so I haven't checked the spacing.

I'd also like to figure out some sort of quick-release for the cheek piece, screwing it down to put the Lucas bore guide in is bothersome.

I am gonna try and use the BA for this http://azprc.net/default.aspx as they intend to add distances out to 1400M

bodywerks
09-03-2010, 10:14 PM
The egw is the standard long action. All I had to do was enlarge the holes. I'll take MOA all day long on accuracy, so long as I can maintain it to at least 1000 yards.
where in AZ do you live? You going to that match this weekend?

Nefarioud
09-03-2010, 10:22 PM
No I have to work this weekend >:(

I actually live in Prescott and they're holding the match a couple miles from the spot where I set up our gong array on the side of a mountain.

If show up with the 110 the people will hate me. I explained to the guy that there was a "bit" of muzzle blast. He said it should be fine :)

The plan is to hit the October 3rd event and the one in November.

Are you in AZ?

We're going to do some long range up here on the 12th with a few guys

ultramag44
09-03-2010, 10:28 PM
NefariousD,

Nice range report! :)

I knew you had ventilated that gong even before I finished reading your post! ;)

Congrats, you have a winner. ;D

Nefarioud
09-03-2010, 11:48 PM
NefariousD,

Nice range report! :)

I knew you had ventilated that gong even before I finished reading your post! ;)

Congrats, you have a winner. ;D

Thank you Sir!

BTW I took the 12 BR with me to fire-lap the bore, just for giggles I used the 500m gong to give me something to shoot at for the five compounds. The bullet tips were color coated with nail polish when I loaded them so I'm sure it threw the weight off but 37 of 50 hit. Next time out I'm gonna do the ladder on both guns 300 for the 12 BR, 600 for the 110 BA, and hopefully get around to shooting the 8208 XBR OCW for the 12 LRPV. Plan is to go out Tuesday, we'll see how that goes, work has been hit and miss with more misses so I need to dance when there's dollars.

Captain Eddie
09-04-2010, 03:26 PM
Don't bother sending the 110BA back to Savage for the hard bolt lift. I did, and three weeks later got the rifle back in the same condition. They "test fired" the rifle and it passed. Their test firing is done with Lapua 250 grain ammo that only leaves at about 2670fps. I gave up on the 4350 and went to RL22. Now I can get to 2950fps with 250 grain Lock Base bullets without any problems. The rifle just has a REALLY tight chamber. All of my benchrest buddies say that's a good thing, and they must be right because the accuracy is nothing short of phenominal.

psharon97
09-04-2010, 10:47 PM
Have you talked to SSS about getting a T&T job done on the rifle to help ease the bolt lift?

bodywerks
09-07-2010, 12:52 AM
Its not a t&t problem. The bolt lifts fine when I am dry firing. Its when I load a round and fire it that the bolt lift then becomes a problem, as does extracting the fired brass.
I want to believe that it is just that the hornady brass is junk. The lapua brass arrives tomorrow or Wednesday. It will be the deciding factor. I think I'd probably rebarrel it with a 28-30 kreigar or bartlen if I can't get this pressure problem taken care of, maybe even do a 338LM improved...

Nefarioud
09-13-2010, 11:33 PM
Just a quick note,

Shot 80 rounds yesterday, 60 PP and 20 SMK's over 4350. Gun was fantastic. The more I shoot this the more I'm enjoying it.

Longest shot was 1600 yards on a 20" gong, took three sighters and hit it three more times after that.

Need to get the SMK's going faster to make a mile, so I guess I'll have to do the "work" now to get the load sorted.

We also placed but didn't shoot at a 32"X41" swinging AR 500 plate (HEAVY son-of-a-something) at 1900 yards and a 17"X36" swinger at 1780.
Completely off the subject, it just occurred to me that I do Way more physical labor to have fun than I do at work, Weird.

Also shot the 12BR with 175's out to 1100, nice weapon, very nice. High percentage of hits. I would consider this a great buy.

Anyone in AZ that wants to come play is more than welcome.

bodywerks
09-14-2010, 12:57 AM
I'd be up for an outing as soon as the weather cools down.
I took mine out to 1200 this weekend on a 15" gong, using a load that I had never fired or zero'd. Took several sighters to get on it but managed to hit it three times in a row after that. Great feeling!
I also shot some loads with my new lapua brass to see about my heavy bolt lift problem...PROBLEM SOLVED!!! I didn't go up to my max load of retumbo but I did go to 92 grains and the bolt lifted like butter. With the hornady brass I'd have been tapping the handle with a soft mallet.
Still getting used to the rifle, And I discovered that the Phoenix tactical pod claws SUCK!!! Don't waste you're money...

dcloco
09-14-2010, 01:27 AM
What speeds are you getting out of your various bullets?

We run Retumbo with a 338 RUM in a 32" Rock Creek barrel....300 gr SMK's at 2950. Longest deer to date - 1878 yards.

bodywerks
09-14-2010, 05:39 AM
Only 2550 at 89 grains of retumbo under 300 bergers, but our barrels are only 26 inches long. An extra 6 inches of barrel is good for another 150-200fps. Once I get a load worked up with the lapua brass I should be able to get 2700 out of the bergers...

Nefarioud
09-14-2010, 05:46 PM
I'd be up for an outing as soon as the weather cools down.

We have very different definitions of that, remember I'm at 5500 feet weather is perfect up here. When it cools down for me it will be in the 20's :)

As far as bullet speeds, no Idea yet, the plan to get the numbers never seems to work out. Last weekend we expended all of our extra energy on placing the gongs.

I'm pretty sure the 26 inch will do OK for a while, but I'm sure it will eventually be replaced with a longer improved barrel.