PDA

View Full Version : Savage Actions

the_joker_rules
07-20-2017, 05:57 PM
I was wondering how many different actions savage makes. I plan on taking a savage and dropping it into a new chassis. I will only be using the action, barrel and trigger. Can someone point me to the models I should be considering between all these as well as the axis line or is the action barrel virtually the same?

Thank you for any clarification on this

-Josh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hereinaz
07-20-2017, 06:00 PM
I was wondering how many different actions savage makes. I plan on taking a savage and dropping it into a new chassis. I will only be using the action, barrel and trigger. Can someone point me to the models I should be considering between all these as well as the axis line or is the action barrel virtually the same?

Thank you for any clarification on this

-Josh

Long or short action?

Check out insane deals on factory savages in chassis right now for Stealth..

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

hereinaz
07-20-2017, 06:03 PM
And, go to the sticky section... all your answers are posted there about all the action types.

And, post more details about the purpose, caliber, considerations, uses, etc. Your question was way to general.

There is no more helpful forum, but your question is too vague. Give us more so we can help.

the_joker_rules
07-20-2017, 06:19 PM
And, go to the sticky section... all your answers are posted there about all the action types.

And, post more details about the purpose, caliber, considerations, uses, etc. Your question was way to general.

There is no more helpful forum, but your question is too vague. Give us more so we can help.

Sorry your correct. Specially I wanted to get it chambered 6.5 creed and drop it into a MDT ESS chassis

the_joker_rules
07-20-2017, 06:20 PM
Sorry your correct. Specially I wanted to get it chambered 6.5 creed and drop it into a MDT ESS chassis

Accuracy would be most important

foxx
07-20-2017, 07:00 PM
There are short and long actions, each could be stagger feed (older design) or center feed (newer design) .

Among the center feeds, there are also bottom bolt release and top bolt release models. Most Savage shooters will say top bolt release designs are more simple to use, operate and configure.

Target actions use large shank barrels, most all the others (except short magnums s.a. 270 WSM) use small or standard shank barrels.

Any center feed action can be made blind or detachable mag, it's simply a matter of using blind mag parts or detachable mag parts to the setup.

Disregard any numeral designations such as Model 10, 11, 12, etc. They don't help identify anything meaningful and are pretty much designated as such at the factory with almost no rhyme or reason. ( I am overstating this fact, but nothing that distinguishes a model 10 from a model 12 is important to you if you stick with the more generic and accurate descriptions enumerated above.

Axis models are completely different. They are considerably cheaper and less expensive. I assume you know the difference between cheap and inexpensive ;).

I will go out on a fairly thick and safe limb and recommend any small shank, short action, center feed, top bolt release model. With that action, you can build any type of Savage anyone would ever want to put into a chassis system that would fire a short action cartridge. If you want long action, still go with a center feed, top bolt release.

the_joker_rules
07-20-2017, 07:55 PM
There are short and long actions, each could be stagger feed (older design) or center feed (newer design) .

Among the center feeds, there are also bottom bolt release and top bolt release models. Most Savage shooters will say top bolt release designs are more simple to use, operate and configure.

Target actions use large shank barrels, most all the others (except short magnums s.a. 270 WSM) use small or standard shank barrels.

Any center feed action can be made blind or detachable mag, it's simply a matter of using blind mag parts or detachable mag parts to the setup.

Disregard any numeral designations such as Model 10, 11, 12, etc. They don't help identify anything meaningful and are pretty much designated as such at the factory with almost no rhyme or reason. ( I am overstating this fact, but nothing that distinguishes a model 10 from a model 12 is important to you if you stick with the more generic and accurate descriptions enumerated above.

Axis models are completely different. They are considerably cheaper and less expensive. I assume you know the difference between cheap and inexpensive ;).

I will go out on a fairly thick and safe limb and recommend any small shank, short action, center feed, top bolt release model. With that action, you can build any type of Savage anyone would ever want to put into a chassis system that would fire a short action cartridge. If you want long action, still go with a center feed, top bolt release.

I saw something saying a 16 is one of the better ones? Would this fit the bill?

olddav
07-20-2017, 08:40 PM
The 16 is just a SS version on the 10,11,12 etc...... If you perfer a SS action then the 16 is better, it is however built exactly the same as the afore mentioned models.

Deadshot2
07-20-2017, 09:28 PM
If you plan on adding an aftermarket trigger avoid the bottom bolt release with accu-trigger. That said I have a Model 10 with both and have found the factory trigger to perform far better than I expected.

My first Savage after a bunch of Remingtons.

thecrich
07-20-2017, 09:41 PM
Get the new 12FV in 6.5. Its a top bolt release. It will drop into the MDT chassis without any issue. The action alone is worth the price. On sale right now for $380...get it.

foxx
07-20-2017, 09:52 PM
^^^^ Yes. Only way to go right now. As stated, it will accept all or any of the aftermarket triggers, can be "tricked out" and improved in ways I won't bother explaining here and now, and it can be converted to detachable mag if you want it. It's basically the "flag ship" model with all the aftermarket product support. No other design / model has any advantage over it.

hereinaz
07-20-2017, 11:30 PM
For the 6.5 creeemore, you can use a short action.

If you want a long heavy barrel then Foxx is right. Cabela's 12FV in 6.5 will be a shooter out of the box.

Get a chassis for it, and you are golden.

the_joker_rules
07-21-2017, 01:53 PM
Get the new 12FV in 6.5. Its a top bolt release. It will drop into the MDT chassis without any issue. The action alone is worth the price. On sale right now for $380...get it.

Awesome thats perfect for my needs. Thanks bud!

RC20
07-21-2017, 09:26 PM

Josh: I do have to point out, that after you use the barrel, action and trigger (not the bolt?) there is not anything left other than the stock!

You plan on making it a single shot? Then you need a few parts in the mag well. Like the follower, follower spring.