PDA

View Full Version : Centerfire Savage "Sporter"

Luckus
07-19-2017, 04:56 PM
It'"s been a while since I have been on here, so first, hello to all. A buddy of mine has an old Sporter model in 25-20 that belonged to his Grandfather. It's all original and has a Schnabel forend. Problem is the barrel is terrible. I've been cleaning it for three days and have it as good as is it's going to get. Badly pitted and rough. Are there any good used barrels for sale any where for this rifle, or what is the best course of action. He has a few rounds that were going to try and check accuracy, but I don't have much hope. Thanks, Luckus

Big Al1
07-19-2017, 07:11 PM
Unfortunately, if you look close you will see that the barrel and receiver are machined from one piece of stock, so the barrel does not unscrew. I'd try shooting it before doing anything else, some bad bores shoot good. It may only shoot cast bullets well, and not jacketed. The other option is having it relined, but since it is all one piece I don't know if that's even possible. This guy has relined several for me, a call could answer if is it possible. http://www.oregunsmithingllc.com/

I have the same rifle, it's a hoot to shoot. They were made from about 1923-1941. I think it was also Savages first bolt action center fire.

Luckus
07-19-2017, 09:17 PM
Unfortunately, if you look close you will see that the barrel and receiver are machined from one piece of stock, so the barrel does not unscrew. I'd try shooting it before doing anything else, some bad bores shoot good. It may only shoot cast bullets well, and not jacketed. The other option is having it relined, but since it is all one piece I don't know if that's even possible. This guy has relined several for me, a call could answer if is it possible. http://www.oregunsmithingllc.com/

I have the same rifle, it's a hoot to shoot. They were made from about 1923-1941. I think it was also Savages first bolt action center fire.
Thanks for the info. I would bet that these rifles were pretty accurate, especially with modern bullets and techniques. Do you use the Missouri Bullet Co. .259 diam cast bullet? I don't think he would reline it but can't say for sure. I will shoot it in the next few days and report my findings. Thank again, Luckus

Big Al1
07-19-2017, 09:36 PM
Those are the bullets I used. Unigue powder can't remember the charge weight, I think 5.5 grains but check your manual. Hope it shoots!!

I also have one in .22 Hornet, and they both shoot great!

Muddly
08-07-2017, 04:44 PM
If its too far gone, you could have it rebored for the 32-20. An equal hoot and that model was also made for the 32-20.

Savagebrother
08-10-2017, 11:49 PM
big al1, sorry the savage 1920 bolt-action as in its model was first 1920-1928 but because savage had parts in stock you could still special order one up to 1932.
SB