PDA

View Full Version : Hog Hunter Model 11 in 308

MoreorLes
07-19-2017, 12:24 PM
I ran into a little issue mounting my scope. I have the Vortex 6/24x50 and it uses 30mm rings. I have attempted to use the leupold weaver/picatinny base. With the leupold Rings in 30mm tube / High (relief) /with a weaver/picatinny clamp on style.
With the desired Eye relief the scope is touching the Rear Iron sight.
Should I remove the iron sight? Are there decent Look through sights available?
Or go higher with Rings?
What are my pros and cons?

Les

SageRat Shooter
07-19-2017, 01:14 PM
Do you ever intend to use just the iron sights? I haven't used Iron sights in 30 years myself... I would remove the rear sight and set your eye relief correctly. Going higher on the rings will only give you a sight picture issue (meaning the scope will be higher, therefore you may have to add a cheek riser to get your eye in the "right spot". The theory for scopes is to mount them as close to the barrel as you can, without it touching.

You could also think about putting on a 20 MOA base... As I see you are running a long range scope. That will give you additional elevation adjustment for long range and also may fix your rear sight contacting the scope.

Then again, if you're going to shoot long range.... You aren't going to be using open sights.... Unless you are in the same class as Hathcock.

MoreorLes
07-19-2017, 04:23 PM
Sagrat, Thank you for your response.
Since my original post I have begun to remove the rear sight. The screw came out but the sight is still fixed on the barrel. Do you have any suggestions? I have lightly tapped it w the handle of the screw driver. Lightly like I would to remove the side plate off of a revolver.

Les

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SageRat Shooter
07-19-2017, 04:41 PM
You got me on that one.... I don't know how to get it off if its fixed to the barrel... Perhaps another guy might be able to help you out with that question... Sorry man... They might have glued it on in addition to the screw... I know the barrel nuts are done that way, but again not 100% sure on that though...

Just found this: Haven't watched it myself, but it may help you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_gk7hcNHEc

Good luck,

Swissfan
07-19-2017, 04:52 PM
I took the rear sight off my hog hunter a couple of weeks ago, and don't remember exactly, but I think you have to remove the sight blade by loosening the screw on side. The blade will then slide off the base and then you can get to the screw that holds the base to the barrel. You may create enough clearance by just removing the blade.

MoreorLes
07-19-2017, 07:39 PM
Thank you swissfan

Robinhood
07-21-2017, 11:51 PM
I took the rear sight off my hog hunter a couple of weeks ago, and don't remember exactly, but I think you have to remove the sight blade by loosening the screw on side. The blade will then slide off the base and then you can get to the screw that holds the base to the barrel. You may create enough clearance by just removing the blade.

This is the answer more or less.

RC20
07-22-2017, 04:43 PM
I think you need to up caliber for hogs.

Saw where a guy shot an over 800 lb in the yard.

That's 30-06 area.

thumbs
07-22-2017, 11:49 PM
Yeah and he shot it with a .38

RC20
07-23-2017, 02:17 PM
That was no mentioned, back checked it and now it is.

Looks like an escaped Domestic, seemed way to big for a feral.

MoreorLes
07-26-2017, 08:48 PM
Good range report.
I was able to mount a Vortex scope on to the HH. I shot twenty rounds through it and I have to say, The trigger is going to take a while to get used to.
I can't seem to feel when it's ready to break. Is dry firing frown upon with a bolt gun? Snap caps ok?
I look forward to my next range time.
Thanks guys,
Les

Swissfan
07-27-2017, 08:54 AM
I dry fire my bolt guns all the time, have not had a problem. You can use snap caps if you want, I don't think they are necessary though.

MoreorLes
07-27-2017, 08:02 PM
Okay, Thank you.