PDA

View Full Version : Savage 99: savage 99 info?

patches12
07-17-2017, 10:07 PM
I have acquired a savage 99 take down .303 Savage cal.with a 22" barrel. Serial number#214338. Serial number look up says it was manufactured in 1920. My question is there is a "dove tail" cut on the underside of the barrel opposite the front sight and a bit forward of the front site location? Could this rifle have been intended for military use for a bayonette mount? The butt stock needs replacement and i am unable to find a butt stock and crescent shaped butt plate. Any info to find these parts would be greatly appreciated...Thank you.

Big Al1
07-18-2017, 10:15 AM
It's possible that the barrel had to be set back a bit, due to a headspace problem, and new dovetail cut for the front sight. Take the forearm off and see if it's the same for the rear sight.

Try this place for a stock: http://www.gunstocksinc.com/web_pages/Plate-pics/Stevens-stocks/Rifle-stocks.htm

Also check E bay, I get a LOT of gun parts from e bay, and a few gun auction sights!

patches12
07-18-2017, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the response AL1. There is no back sight dovetail underneath the barrel and it has never been drilled or tapped for a scope. There is an alignment line on the barrel and receiver due to the fact that it is a take down model and they align perfectly. The opposing dovetail is exactly 180 degrees from the front sight dovetail and slightly forward of it. The re manufactured stocks seem to be available but finding a crescent steel butt plate is the difficulty. Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Big Al1
07-18-2017, 01:29 PM
OOPs! Missed the take down part. Butt plate may be hard to find. Hopefully, someone else here can help with that. I don't have any other clue as to why there's a dovetail on the bottom of the barrel. To bad these old guns don't come with a written history! I'll keep my eyes open for a butt plate.
I have a .303 take down, too. fun to shoot!

patches12
07-18-2017, 10:10 PM
I hope some one out there can solve the mystery of the under barrel dove tail, it looks most definately factory cut. I have already found a front sight, rear sight riser and a lever bushing and screw....so on to the stock and butt plate. I may have to settle for a different style butt plate there are several other styles available. The crescent one was gone when I found it and the stock cut at least an inch and crooked at that! I have saved a few rifles and put them back in action. Hunted and scored with a .30 rem model 14 Rem. this past fall. thanks again for your time.

Big Al1
07-19-2017, 08:58 AM
My kind of project!! I love reviving old and neglected firearms, and a classic like a 99 is worth the time and effort!! Like you said, the hunt and quest for parts is sometimes the best part! And the satisfaction of the save and completion of the project!! Maybe just get it stocked and keep looking for the right one. When you have a 100 year old rifle, when it was new, people used them as tools to put meat on the table. Every dent, ding, scratch, and crack has a story to tell, and adds to the character of the rifle!!

I had a 14/141 on my list for a long time, Just waiting for one at the right price! Already have ammo, brass, dies, and bullets for a .35 Rem. That's how I've started many projects!!

Almost forgot! The barrel on my .303 has two dovetails cut for the rear sight!! WHY?? Who knows!

Old No7
07-26-2017, 11:11 AM
If you're handy at all, you could probably do a decent job of filling that bottom dovetail with a brass or steel wedge, and then carefully -- after taping around it to protect the barrel from the file -- file it down to size to match the barrel's contour. Brass would file more easily than the steel, and some vinegar or black powder fouling will easily discolor the shiny brass to better hide it.

Epoxy filler would work too, but may be more difficult to shape and to color/blend it to the barrel's finish.

Old No7