PDA

View Full Version : Model 10 Firing Pin Question.

Deadshot2
07-17-2017, 06:07 PM
I have a Model 10 Firing Pin with the cocked indicator "stem" on it. I need a regular firing pin that will work with a regular assembly bolt that has no hole. Can this "stem" be merely cut off where it joins the large diameter portion of the firing pin?

All other parts of the firing pin assembly appear the same when just looking at pictures but I don't have both to compare side by side.

Robinhood
07-17-2017, 08:42 PM
There are two different designs with the cocking indicator. The older and newer style. The new style has two springs at the rear of the pin. Which one do you have?

RP12
07-17-2017, 10:13 PM
There are two different designs with the cocking indicator. The older and newer style. The new style has two springs at the rear of the pin. Which one do you have?I have a brand new model rifle 10T-SR Cabela's exclusive and it still has the older style.

Deadshot2
07-18-2017, 09:11 AM
There are two different designs with the cocking indicator. The older and newer style. The new style has two springs at the rear of the pin. Which one do you have?

There's no spring at the rear of the firing pin. Just a cocking piece sleeve like the old firing pins but the long "stem" that extends back into the bolt assembly screw. If I can I want to just whack the stem off with a die grinder wheel and finish the end of the cocking piece on the grinder.

I'm pretty sure it will work but I'm new to Savage rifles so I figure i'd check first. My safe is loaded with Remington's but I sure like my Model 10.

RP12
07-18-2017, 11:07 AM
I hate to be one of those guys that has to question why, but what don't you like about the cocking indicator ? Are you trying to get it so you can use one of those bolt lift dingus' ? I can't say for sure, but it looks like it would work to do what you're asking.

J.Baker
07-18-2017, 05:32 PM
You can do it, but you may create some ignition issues for yourself as you're reducing the firing pins mass/weight. Could result in some light primer strikes that don't set off the primer.

Deadshot2
07-18-2017, 07:39 PM
You can do it, but you may create some ignition issues for yourself as you're reducing the firing pins mass/weight. Could result in some light primer strikes that don't set off the primer.

I understand the reduced mass part but isn't the firing pin more influenced by the spring and it's "compression"?

Yes, I am trying to install a "Nat Lambeth Bolt Lift Kit" but as I understand it can be adjusted as needed for full strikes on the primer and it's main benefit is the reduced contact surfaces (the point in the washer versus full bolt face on cocking piece sleeve) reduce friction thus less effort.