PDA

View Full Version : cannerlure bullets ?

noname
07-16-2017, 08:14 AM
Found a deal at the local shop on 62 grain bullets with the cannerlure...(spelling)

Does this effect the accuracy ? I want to try them in my 223 7 twist so there
will be no crimp used..Didn't want to get them befor asking you pros first
that have far more experience than I do. Thanks..

PS-Bolt action savage mod 10

Robinhood
07-16-2017, 09:15 AM
The cannalure will have the least effect on accuracy out of many other factors.

hardnosestreetcop
07-18-2017, 10:30 AM
The cannalure is just a suggested point in which to crimp the bullet, some reloaders crimp and some don't. Most important is the bullet length, which will determined if the bullet will stabilize in your barrel. From reading up on this topic with a 1:7 twist a 62 Gr bullet should do fine but not as good as it could be. The 69-87 grainers would be a better choice.

RC20
07-22-2017, 05:28 PM
Yep, ran a lot of non crimp 223s.

Deadshot2
07-22-2017, 06:06 PM
The current military 62 gr bullet has a cannelure on it to essentially weaken the bullet and enhance it's tendency to fragment when it hits it's target. As Robinhood stated, the cannelure will be the least important part of the bullet's accuracy issues if it's a military FMJ. For other bullets the only time a cannelure is desired is when the cartridge feeds from a tubular magazine as is done with lever/pump actions. This keeps the rounds ahead of any cartridge from hammering the bullet farther into the case on recoil. When fired cartridges can separate and then the follower spring kind of slams them back to gether.

The military also insists on cannelures in their quest to make sure ALL possible failures are covered. Knowing how rough battlefield conditions can be they don't want the bullet moving unless the cartridge is fired. They even use a tar like sealer to make sure water can't find it's way into the round.