PDA

View Full Version : Extractor and ejector.

RP12
07-15-2017, 04:04 PM
I just picked up a new 12FV in 6.5 Creedmoor. Looking at the ejector and extractor both, they have angled edges. They don't look messed up, just different. Is this something Savage changed or something that was needed for the cartridge to extract and eject properly ? I have no way of posting pictures, sorry.

RustyShackle
07-15-2017, 04:09 PM
Basically a knockoff of Fred's design on the extractor. Have seen the angled ejector also. Not sure what prompted the change(s)

foxx
07-15-2017, 09:10 PM
Sometimes the cartridge will hang-up when feeding from the mag. Those angle-grinds allow smoother feeding. I don't think it makes an action feed better if there were no problems, but it tends to prevent problems.

Bowguy
08-30-2017, 07:32 PM
Thread has some age but prompted me to mention that I noticed this angled ejector pin on my new Model 10 Predator 6.5 CM. Was thinking this was a Q.C. issue since I have been having extraction problems. Under 40 rounds so far and the brass doesn't clear the chamber half the time. Was "hoping" a new ejector pin would fix this, looks doubtful now.

JW
08-31-2017, 06:26 AM
I have the same issue with a remington 6.5
Changed from Hornady to Lapua brass and no problems so far

Jack

Thread has some age but prompted me to mention that I noticed this angled ejector pin on my new Model 10 Predator 6.5 CM. Was thinking this was a Q.C. issue since I have been having extraction problems. Under 40 rounds so far and the brass doesn't clear the chamber half the time. Was "hoping" a new ejector pin would fix this, looks doubtful now.

J.Baker
08-31-2017, 05:19 PM
The purpose of the angled edges on the new extractors is to allow more surface area of the extractor to be in contact with the case, thus improving the reliability of extraction. Has to do with the radius of the extractor curve and the radius of case heads. With the old pointy ended ones, only the points would be making contact with the case rim to facilitate extraction on some cartridges. With the points knocked off it lets the extractor get more contact with more surface area on the case head.

Geometry - who knew!

sharpshooter
08-31-2017, 11:06 PM
Sounds good in theory, but that not quite correct. The angled extractors are not "new".....they are actually old. Controlled round feed bolt heads used these to facilitate the rim to feed under the extractor and up into the bolt face, rather than snap over the rim.
The angled ejectors still have me baffled....the angle is the wrong way and it actually reduces the amount of travel, making things worse. Just like putting a tail on the ejector did nothing for ejection purposes. I think the general idea was to keep the spring from being crushed, but if you shoot a hot enough load to over extend the ejector, it will crush the spring, whether it has a tail in it or not.
Just another attempt at a band aid fix for a problem they don't understand. I wouldn't expect much more from engineers and techs who don't actually shoot.

foxx
08-31-2017, 11:39 PM
Okay, I am not sure what Mr F or Sharp is talking about... I am not arguing or disagreeing, just not comprehending.

I thought the OP was asking about the angled grind on some of the ejectors. I have "fixed" feeding problems with certain cartridges that hang-up on the ejector when transferring from the mag to the chamber by grinding an angle cut into the ejector. Works for me. :)

sharpshooter
09-01-2017, 12:23 PM
The ejector should not protrude past the bolt head...it should be about .005" below flush.

MI223
09-01-2017, 01:02 PM
I have a sharp shooter ejector and extractor in my rifle. When i first installed it when the round would release from the mag it would "jump" and on the way down land on the ejector pin. The pin was recessed from the bolt face but because the rear of the round had "jumped" the round would get jammed on the pin.

I added a angle to the pin and it feeds and ejects great now.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170901/ae0f38011e3193353cadf3b0e2da9b14.jpg

The rim of the case is sitting on the ejector pin in the pic

I would assume savage does it for similar reasons.

Not bashing sharpshooter either. I would buy again without a doubt.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

sharpshooter
09-02-2017, 03:51 PM
Thanks for bringing that up, it jogged my memory. I remember awhile back running into that situation, and it was determined that it always happened with an AI style aftermarket magazine. It makes a little sense now, considering all the chassis stocks use that style of magazine.