PDA

View Full Version : Same old Axis II Misfire Issue?

4Ceesuns
07-15-2017, 07:51 AM
OK,
Is there room for one more Axis II misfire thread? This is my first Savage post, on a tired old topic.
Before buying my .223 Axis II (a nice economically priced rifle when it fires) 8 months ago, I read the reviews, was aware of the misfire issues, and bought it anyway. Shame on me!

There were misfires within the first 20 rds. I read as many posts/threads as I could, soaked my bolt in brake cleaner, oiled it, things improved then degraded. I have never taken it to the range without a bunch of misfires. Now with less than 200 rds in thru the gun, nearly every other trigger pull results in a misfire.

I disassembled the bolt, cleaned it well (wasn’t dirty, just oily). Reassembled, and the pin penetration is .045”. Seems right from the posts I read. The two springs are tough as can be. I read a post where someone made and inserted a bushing to increase spring pressure which solved his identical problem (he didn’t say the bushing size or which spring got it). I know this is a chronic problem on these and has been for years. The firing pin penetration is fixed on the Axis II and cannot be adjusted. It seems to be all about the springs and cleanliness from what I can see.

I have not fired the gun since reassembling the bolt this morning, may not have a chance for a while. I will attempt to speak to a technical expert at Savage (good luck from what I gather) but I am interested if anyone out there has solved this problem short of sending the gun back to the manufacturer (for an unspecified part replacement)?
Thanks,
4Ceesuns

Mb1500
07-15-2017, 03:48 PM
Edit: Misfires within the first box of ammo is a red flag for me. I would have contacted Savage at that point.

I assume you're not using 5.56 surplus, or Russian steel case?

Ive read that the pin tension is less than that of the 110 series when in the resting or "fired" position. I would stick a washer in the cap to see if it helps. This will increase the cocked tension as well.

milleniumdude1999
07-18-2017, 02:48 AM
OK,
Is there room for one more Axis II misfire thread? This is my first Savage post, on a tired old topic.
Before buying my .223 Axis II (a nice economically priced rifle when it fires) 8 months ago, I read the reviews, was aware of the misfire issues, and bought it anyway. Shame on me!

There were misfires within the first 20 rds. I read as many posts/threads as I could, soaked my bolt in brake cleaner, oiled it, things improved then degraded. I have never taken it to the range without a bunch of misfires. Now with less than 200 rds in thru the gun, nearly every other trigger pull results in a misfire.

I disassembled the bolt, cleaned it well (wasn’t dirty, just oily). Reassembled, and the pin penetration is .045”. Seems right from the posts I read. The two springs are tough as can be. I read a post where someone made and inserted a bushing to increase spring pressure which solved his identical problem (he didn’t say the bushing size or which spring got it). I know this is a chronic problem on these and has been for years. The firing pin penetration is fixed on the Axis II and cannot be adjusted. It seems to be all about the springs and cleanliness from what I can see.

I have not fired the gun since reassembling the bolt this morning, may not have a chance for a while. I will attempt to speak to a technical expert at Savage (good luck from what I gather) but I am interested if anyone out there has solved this problem short of sending the gun back to the manufacturer (for an unspecified part replacement)?
Thanks,
4Ceesuns

This probably will not help much, other than saying it happened to me too. I had to send my Axis 223 back to savage twice before misfire/light primer strikes were corrected. I also had problems with ejection, not working. They commented on two issues, burr in chamber and headspace. It was quite a frustrating experience. The rifle should have never left the factory the first two times.

Honestly, I was surprised with the crappy customer service. My experience is that when I call for help with my model 10 versions, Savage is super nice, call about Axis and they tend to act up. I understand it's an inexpensive rifle, but it should go bang every time. Oh, and it was not an ammo issue. The rifle demonstrated the same defect across multiple brands and the same amo went bang in another 223 bolt gun every time.

This is my first Axis. Once I got it back the second time, it shoots well. I have it in an MDT chassis. I like the Axis platform for inexpensive builds. MDT is a great company and the product is superb.

I have seen too many people here and other places with same issue on 223. Could be QC, could be firing pin design not well suited for inexpensive 223 and thus needs more attention on the line. The amount of grief/work getting savage to do the right thing was more costly than buying a model 10. That said, I'lll risk it again, one last time. If my next Axis build has issues out of the box, I am done with Axis. My money says the Axis will be just fine. Perhaps Axis needs to look at the 223 runs more closely? My advice is to write a firm letter with your return. Let's encourage them to improve quality, for their next buyers.

The Dude Abides

J.Baker
07-18-2017, 05:45 PM
Can't say I've had any ignition issues with either of my Axis rifles, one in .223 and the other started as a .25-06 but has since been rebarreled to a .284 Winchester.

wbm
08-05-2017, 10:28 AM
Bought two for my sons and three for me so far. No ignition problems with any.

COpredatorhunter
08-05-2017, 02:30 PM
just ordered one in 22/250 hope I don't have any issues

30-06shooter
08-06-2017, 11:10 AM
No problems with my ought 6. 120 rounds through it so far.

Magilla26
08-21-2017, 04:27 PM
I have an Axis in .223 and I had many light strikes - misfires. I machined a shim out of a stainless washer to .396" OD, .220" ID (through hole) and .030 thick. I tried thicker washers but it caused hard opening and closing of the bolt. I inserted it between the spring and the back of the bolt. You will have to disassemble the bolt to do this. This greatly helped but I still got 4 duds out of 100 rounds. I am willing to live with this since I mostly use it to shoot ground squirrels. This would not be acceptable in a big game rifle.