PDA

View Full Version : 62/64-Series: front stud will not come loose

swansonfamilycircus
07-14-2017, 02:43 AM
New here, and new to ownership. Bought my son a savage 64lr .22 for Christmas. He's only put about 50 rounds through it, but I've heard this can be a dirty model and figured it due a cleaning. I read all the instructions, watched a number of videos, and I'm fairly confident I can clean this thing without much trouble, BUT, no matter the tool, the force, I cannot budge the front stud! Help! TIA

Deadshot2
07-14-2017, 07:53 PM
With frozen fasteners there is a proper progression. First the proper tool and hand force. Second, soak in a good penetrating oil like Kroil, etc (just the thread or slip area). Continue by applying heat if still frozen. For localized heat an old Weller Pistol Type electric soldering iron is often the trick. Hold the tip against the metal item to be heated and hold trigger down. Heat will be conducted along the part and help hasten the capillary action of the penetrating oil as well as softening the bond of any thread/stud locker.

If that fails, Vise Grip and Hammer. :p

noname
07-16-2017, 05:22 PM
shouldn't need cleaning

Jimk
07-25-2017, 12:24 AM
Best lubricant I've used is 1/2 auto transmission fluid and 1/2 acetone to free up frozen threads.