PDA

View Full Version : Problem with my model 12 Varmint

coorslight
07-11-2017, 03:08 PM
I have a model 12 Varmint in .223, I have a couple hundred rounds thru it, today I went to the range, put about 50 rounds thru it and click, firing pin not hitting primer, not even a dent 2 different types of ammo that I had been using earlier, Help, firing pin? do the triggers some how disconnect?

RP12
07-11-2017, 03:54 PM
Could be a broken firing pin or dirty bolt inside the firing pin channel. Are you sure the sear isn't tripping when you close the bolt ?

olddav
07-11-2017, 04:36 PM
What trigger do you have?

micky_blue
07-11-2017, 05:03 PM
Have you been shooting dirty ammo? Some of the stuff from Russia or E. Europe can be rather dirty.

coorslight
07-11-2017, 06:25 PM
It's the stock accu-trigger , and ammo isn't dirty have a few hundred rounds thru it since I got it, Ill check it out and look for the problem tomorrow, thanks

foxx
07-11-2017, 06:46 PM
I'd bet dollars to donuts your Accutrigger is the issue. Are you familiar with it's function and the safety blade? It must be fully depressed before touching the trigger's shoe.

Unload it.
cock it.
Put on safe.
Put on Fire.
Pull trigger, being certain to fully depress the safety blade first.
Repeat.

After doing this a few times, after cocking it, try to push the shoe without touching the safety blade. Notice how it feels and sounds. If working properly, the blade, when not first depressed properly, will block the sear from falling. It is designed to do this so as to not fire unintentionally.

hereinaz
07-11-2017, 08:43 PM
I'd bet dollars to donuts your Accutrigger is the issue. Are you familiar with it's function and the safety blade? It must be fully depressed before touching the trigger's shoe.

Unload it.
cock it.
Put on safe.
Put on Fire.
Pull trigger, being certain to fully depress the safety blade first.
Repeat.

After doing this a few times, after cocking it, try to push the shoe without touching the safety blade. Notice how it feels and sounds. If working properly, the blade, when not first depressed properly, will block the sear from falling. It is designed to do this so as to not fire unintentionally.
Foxx is onto a possibility. I will add my two bits about that because it took me a while to see what the safety blade actually did... I think what I say below is correct.

If the accutrigger is "malfunctioning" like Foxx said, the trigger is releasing the sear, but the sear never sweeps all the way back to release the firing pin. Instead, the sear hits a notch on the top of the safety blade just behind the trigger notch (not sure the real name) stopping its travel, if the safety blade is not depressed enough.

You get a click, because the trigger has dropped the sear, but the accutrigger stopped it prematurely, before the firing pin is released. The click is the sear hitting the safety blade.

I think a way to diagnose of the safety blade "malfunctioned" is to see if the safety can be depressed after the malfunction is induced. If you can't depress the safety blade easily, the sear is resting on it.

Also, lifting the bolt can feel different because the firing pin is still mostly compressed as the sear has only fallen part of the way.

I would follow Foxx procedure. If I saw it wasnt the accutrigger, I would then pull the bolt apart. That rear bolt nut will likely take a long allen wrench, a towel, and stepping on it to break it free..

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

foxx
07-11-2017, 10:27 PM
^^^You're stealing my thunder, AZ :)

Why do you think I said to play with the safety? ;)

hereinaz
07-12-2017, 12:47 AM
^^^You're stealing my thunder, AZ :)

Why do you think I said to play with the safety? ;)
Some of you guys know so much, you forget what it is like for us newbies trying to figure it all out... some of us are just babies [emoji64]

Just doing my best to keep up and make it look like I know something.

coorslight
07-12-2017, 06:36 AM
Ok I have 3 Savage rifles and just bought a Target action, But a little green when it comes to all the parts, I took the stock off and compared it to the Target action, When I pull the trigger the lever or (sear) moves out of the slot that it sits in about 1/16"-1/8", with a light click. When I pull the trigger on the Target action, that lever moves more than twice that distance with a more audible click and you can definitely tell its releasing the firing pin. Hope this explains it better and is there a quick fix. Thanks Dave

foxx
07-12-2017, 08:55 AM
Some of you guys know so much, you forget what it is like for us newbies trying to figure it all out... some of us are just babies [emoji64]

Just doing my best to keep up and make it look like I know something.

I know. Just foolin' around. You're doing good.

foxx
07-12-2017, 08:59 AM
Ok I have 3 Savage rifles and just bought a Target action, But a little green when it comes to all the parts, I took the stock off and compared it to the Target action, When I pull the trigger the lever or (sear) moves out of the slot that it sits in about 1/16"-1/8", with a light click. When I pull the trigger on the Target action, that lever moves more than twice that distance with a more audible click and you can definitely tell its releasing the firing pin. Hope this explains it better and is there a quick fix. Thanks Dave

I'm stumped. Are you saying the trigger does not move enough to allow the sear to clear it? Can you post pics of what it looks like BEFORE you pull the trigger and AFTER?

Without understanding anymore than I do at this point, I would say take it apart and reassemble without the safety blade in place, See if it functions like a regular trigger (which it should). IDK

GaryB
07-12-2017, 09:06 AM
Without understanding anymore than I do at this point, I would say take it apart and reassemble without the safety blade in place, See if it functions like a regular trigger (which it should).

or throw it away and buy a Timney! :p

hereinaz
07-12-2017, 09:10 AM
I would pull the bolt apart.

I would also try putting a different bolt in the rifle (without mixing them up! Label the two bolt handles with tape before pulling them out.) and see if the rifle will drop the firing pin on the other bolt. If the firing pin drops on the other bolt, you probably have an issue in the bolt.

Texas10
07-12-2017, 09:49 AM
If the accutrigger blade is not locked up tight after you pull the trigger, it is releasing the firing pin normally. If the firing pin is not hitting the primer, likely something is in the firing pin channel obstructing it. I've had this happen after experiencing a blanked (pierced) primer where the small bit of primer is forced up the firing pin channel. I was able to actually see that the tripped firing pin was not emerging out of the bolt head by using my bolt caddy and un-cocking the firing pin. I was able to do this on the firing line, disassemble the bolt and clear the obstruction, and continue shooting with only a short interruption.

This was during a load work up while shooting round robin style, so I needed to continue with the lower charge weights while discarding the higher one that caused the blanking issue.

coorslight
07-12-2017, 12:00 PM
I learned something today, I am not very mechanical, and you guys know what you are talking about, took the bolt apart, cleaned it up and it seems to be fine. Thanks for all your help.