PDA

View Full Version : Savage 10fcp Hs Precision stock

WinnieTheBoomBoom
07-10-2017, 01:31 AM
Hey everyone, I am new to this forum but have bought multiple savage rifles. Well unfortunately I've finally come across a troublesome rifle. I paid $1k for a new 10fcp with HS Precision stock .308 caliber. I took it home and I performed a function test and tried to cycle a "once fired brass" in the chamber from another savage. The spent casing went in the chamber by hand but could not close the bolt on the round and the bolt lugs were sticking out by about a centimeter. The bolt was stuck at this point and required a mallet to remove the spent casing.

I checked to ensure the action screw was not protruding and no scope base were installed. I called Savage about the issue and even though it's a $1k rifle I will still be on the hook for shipping. Rather than risk sending the rifle in and risking damage to the rifle do you think i should take it to a gunsmith and can it be done for a reasonable price? (Equal to shipping costs to Savage?)

What do you think the issue is? Too tight of a chamber? Short chamber? Bad headspace? I do feel like giving on Savage.....

RustyShackle
07-10-2017, 01:43 AM
The chamber in your other rifle is very slightly larger preventing chambering of the once fired brass. Likely nothing wrong at all! If you can't close on sized brass case then you probably have issues

WinnieTheBoomBoom
07-10-2017, 02:10 AM
Ok, that makes sense that those rounds were fire formed for that rifle. I guess I should take it out to the range to test first with new brass. I hope :cheer2:that's just the issue it sure beats shipping the rifle out. Thanks Rusty!

RustyShackle
07-10-2017, 02:24 AM
You're most welcome, hopefully that's all it is. If you have a micrometer you could measure brass to see how much it had stretched, and you could always check headspace with a go, and no go gauge. Although I'm thinking it will work just fine with fresh ammo.

Welcome to the forum!

J.Baker
07-10-2017, 02:24 AM
Golden Rule: New Rifle = New Brass

Rsadams
07-14-2017, 12:59 AM
The chamber in your other rifle is very slightly larger preventing chambering of the once fired brass. Likely nothing wrong at all! If you can't close on sized brass case then you probably have issues
+1 this is your answer.. All chambers are not the same.. Like he said as long as it will close with sized or factory ammo don't worry... If your a reloader you may have to adjust your die from one rifle to another to get min. shoulder bump... Factory ammo thats a bit out of spec that is tight in my tactical savage falls in and out of my remington hunting rifle... Get that scope on and go put some rounds down range...

Zero333
07-15-2017, 03:48 AM
Exactly what Rusty said.

I have rifles that do the same. For example... I have two 300winmag rifles. Once fired brass from rifle A will fit in rifle B but not the other way around. So obviously rifle B has a more generous chamber, but still within spec.