PDA

View Full Version : aftermarket stock search

Shibbershabber
07-08-2017, 01:22 PM
I have a 111 fcns 30-06, detachable mag, bottom bolt release...

Just put a Shaw varmint barrel on............ and can't find a stock for it (without spending >$500)

*Boyds says they don't make a stock for it with the varmint barrel, only sporter.... even the new at-one stock
*Choate doesn't support the magazine/bolt release setup I have.....

Looks like Hogue makes an overmold stock for it........ Which I've read good things about.....

Is that my only option without spending two weeks pay????

Anyone else run into his, I didn't turn up much with a search.

big honkin jeep
07-08-2017, 10:02 PM
Well since it's synthetic you could always do a little backwoods engineering.
I put a barrel off of a model 10 BA (.308 24" fluted) onto one of my sons synthetic stocked sporter hunting rifles and needed to open up the barrel channel. So I got creative. I took my propane turkey fryer and filled the pot with water and got it boiling. Then I put the stock nose first into the boiling pot. It takes quite a while to soften the synthetic up a little and if I remember right it took about 15-20 minutes maybe a little longer. Then I put on a pair of gloves and forced a thick 1" broom handle into the barrel channel from the action to the tip and wrapped it securely in a couple of places with duct tape. When it cooled it retained the shape I wanted with plenty enough clearance for the new fat barrel. I did have to relieve it just a little in the bottom of the barrel channel at the tip with a dremel. Other than that it went really smooth and worked well.
They say necessity is the mother of invention but I think lack of money can be just as motivational :)

Shibbershabber
07-08-2017, 10:54 PM
Was it rigid enough to support a bipod?

foxx
07-08-2017, 11:08 PM
I would go with a Boyd's stock, in spite of what they say. Get whatever you want with the sporter barrel channel and open it up ourself with a wood dowel and sand paper and elbow grease. I do it every week for customers.

big honkin jeep
07-09-2017, 04:37 PM
Haven't tried it with a pod but seemed to perform just like a factory synthetic. The only Savage I've ever bought that I replaced the stock solely because it deserved the "flimsy stock" complaint was a 110FP in 25-06 with a long heavy barrel. I have found all the rest to be quite serviceable. I really didn't think about trying to open that one up further and may give it a go in the future. Any of the long action heavy barrel stocks have historically been hard to come by until recently. Especially on a budget. I wound up going with a Choate tactical on that rifle but mine is a blind mag. I'm pretty sure there was some talk fairly recently of Bell and Carlson doing some Savage long action offerings. but you seem to be looking for a rare bird if you need a drop in fit.

Mozella
07-10-2017, 04:10 AM
I would go with a Boyd's stock, in spite of what they say. Get whatever you want with the sporter barrel channel and open it up ourself with a wood dowel and sand paper and elbow grease. I do it every week for customers.

I hope none of your customers read this 'cause you gotta' make a living, but the truth is, yours is the best suggestion. Boyd's makes a great stock for the money and opening up the barrel channel is not exactly rocket surgery. I've done this on a number of Boyd's stocks and it's easy and cheap. It does take a little elbow grease, but almost anyone could do this job and do it well.

RC20
07-23-2017, 07:27 PM
I can say for sure that if its a Laminated stock you can order a fairly large barrel size and then open it up easily.

I have not done any plastic or composite so I don't know how sand paper deal with it.

I did find that I worked my way up to 80 grit for the Laminate and then it went fast enough without going too fast.

The 111 came with a light TH stock, still on it and doing wonderfully with a bull 30-06 Shilen on it.

Shibbershabber
07-23-2017, 08:19 PM
I ended up getting the Hogue stock

Waiting for the barrel/action to come back from Duracoating...

The 'smith I took it to for the barrel swap put the receiver in a vise without protection and screwed it up..... after much back and forth he agreed to smooth it out and Duracoat it.

This is why I do my own work.........

Ill post some pics when its all together.