PDA

View Full Version : Non Accutrigger Trigger question.

savagecornmuffin
07-07-2017, 03:19 PM
I'm got a stock Non Accutrigger long action 270. I'm not looking to get the trigger to break at a sneeze by any means. I have adjusted down to a 3.5# pull. But, there's no consistency pull. I use a Wheeler gauge to check it. It will pull 3.5# three out of 5 pull. Two of those 5 may break at 3.75# up to 5#. No idea what to check next. Do I just need to get and aftermarket trigger?

olddav
07-07-2017, 04:59 PM
Check the FAQ section. Lots of info reguarding triggers there.
It could be as simple as replacing a spring.

Haiku_Rodney
07-07-2017, 05:02 PM
The trigger that came with my 110 was not the greatest. Really high trigger pull - 6#+. I tried adjusting the spring then had a problem with it bump firing. I ended up installing a Timney trigger. It took a little bit of fidgeting on my part to get it set up properly, but, now I have a clean crisp trigger with about a 3# pull.

olddav
07-07-2017, 05:34 PM
A savage trigger can be tuned to achive a consistent 3# pull. I have a three screw trigger tuned to 2.5# pull with zero creep and no slam fires. I replaced the factory spring with one made from wire off of a BuzzBait lure and lightly ploshed the trigger/sear face. However the factory trigger (like all other triggers) have limitations, and my guess is 2.5# is very near the limit. An aftermarket trigger (Timney and/or Rifle Basix) claims 1.5# but I have no experience with anything other than SAV-2. I'm sure I left something out but the info provided may be of some help.

hereinaz
07-07-2017, 07:37 PM
If it is a 3 screw trigger, you should be able to get better performance. If it a newer one, there are limitations.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

RustyShackle
07-07-2017, 07:56 PM
I would pull the trigger and look very closely where the sear sits. Probably could use a polish, although certainly don't experiment if you're not sure about what you're doing!

Zero333
07-08-2017, 03:25 AM
On top of tuning the screws, I also sand/stone and polish the trigger and sear. Plenty info on the net on how to gunsmith triggers. I like the non-accutriggers cause they are nice to work on and when done they are crisper than any aftermarket trigger. Mind you it's not super easy, so if you're not mechanically adept, just adjusting the screws and maybe swapping springs is more than good enough.

Robinhood
07-08-2017, 09:23 AM
Pay attention to the preload on the spring. With the bolt open the sear should touch the trigger.

savagecornmuffin
07-10-2017, 08:20 AM
It is a 3 screw trigger. The gun was really dirty when it. There was hardened grease all over the trigger assembly. I guess the previous owner did that. I have read up on trigger setup. I measured the pull before I disassembled. It broke consistently at 4.75#. The trigger felt creepy and didn't have a clean feeling break. After I cleaned everything and got it all setup as close to factory as I could, the trigger felt much better. Still breaking close to 5#. But the break was much cleaner and there was very little creep. Adjusting to a lighter pull just made the trigger noticeably inconsistent. So,.. at this point, everything works, Safety engage properly, no slam firing, no firing on bolt close. If I adjust to a heavy pull, it gets consistent. A pull over 4# will always breaks at whatever pull it's set it too. Under 4#, who knows how light or heavy it's going break. Maybe I need to find a spring kit.