PDA

View Full Version : Savage 10T-SR

RP12
07-07-2017, 08:56 AM
I just pick one up in .223 last night on the 6th. Figures the $100.00 rebate ended on the 5th. :mad:

RP12
07-07-2017, 07:15 PM
I can't find a whole lot of press on this model. If anyone else has one, the input would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

foxx
07-08-2017, 01:21 AM
Well, I like the barrel. Not so fond of the bottom bolt release. The cocking indicator is kinds nice, but I prefer models without it so I can add a lift kit. Nice bolt handle for target or tactical use, don't care for it on a hunting rifle (too long). Good magazine. Savage is awfully proud of the Accustock, I am not so impressed with it. I have test fired several dozens of them, most shoot okay, some don't. Those that didn't could only be fixed by removing the aluminum "bedding" that squeezes the action and performing a traditional bedding job, completely negating the "3D bedding system" Savage is so proud of.

thecrich
07-09-2017, 07:00 PM
I picked one up a few weeks ago in 6.5. As far as I know, its just a 10T with a threaded barrel. It is a new Cabelas exclusive though, so info is scarce. I'm using the action for a 10ba stealth chassis I bought a while back. The action seems nice, but like others, I'm not a fan of the bottom bolt release or the smooth barrel nut. I will have to have a slot machined into the stealth chassis so I can access the bolt release. The accustock seems a bit nicer than the cheap stock on my 12FV. A lot more rigid.

BigB
07-09-2017, 10:22 PM
I took my new 10t-SR with a Vortex Viper HST 6-24X50 with MOA reticle to the range yesterday. I was shooting Hornady factory 140 ELD Match at 100 yards. I was getting .75 in. groups not bad for factory ammo and a new barrel. My friend Tony showed up to see how the gun was shooting. He brought his chronograph and set it up. The guns MV was 2702 on the Hornady box it says 2710. I told Tony to shoot the gun to see how he liked it and the Vortex scope. I went behind the spotting scope. Tony must of shoot 3 or 4 rounds when I saw a fly land on the upper left side of the target. I told Tony do you see the fly? He said yes, I said shoot it. Tony sent a round down range and all I can say is there is no more fly. No BS If I didn't see it for myself I would not believe it. Tony said don't ever sell this gun you have a shooter. I will agree. Thank You Savage for making an off the shelf gun so accurate. I'm looking forward to shooting it.

bearcatrp
07-10-2017, 10:43 AM
The 10T series are good rifles. I have the regular 10T in 308. Very accurate rifle. Did a egg challenge during Easter. 1st shot bulls eye @100 yards. Having great success with 178 ELD-X and varget. Running a litle hot @2710 fps.

Rsadams
07-14-2017, 12:47 AM
New to this forum and altho I need another gun like another hole in the head in January I got bit by the .308 bug and bought my first savage rifle a 10T - SR and so far it has been great.. I have been reloading for years and this thing loves 168gr matchking with imr 4064.. I shoot alot (down to about 2500 to 5000 rounds a year) training.. So far the largest 5 shot group I have gotten is .75 it can easily shoot around .60 if I do my part.. So far I only have 100 rounds through it..

Here in Texas its to hot for the next few months , which I can not handle anymore so right now I am prepping brass etc waiting on cooler temps to finish my ladder test and finding my load for this rifle.. So far it as been a blast and something different from my normal Glock , M4 and short barrel shotgun training... I have a buddy that spent the last 20 years as a pro trainer up north for the state who just moved back so it keeps me busy learning the new techniques.. Its been a long time since I was in law enforcement and things change fast...

bearcatrp
07-14-2017, 09:07 AM
Bump up to 175-178 grain and varget. Was using 4064 but varget was better.

Rsadams
07-14-2017, 11:05 AM
Thanks i will give it a try when I run out of supplies... I started with 150gr cheaper bullets and it hated the lighter weights so I can see it likeing 175 or 178..

tbk5
08-19-2017, 10:43 AM
Does anyone know what the thread pitch/diameter is on the 6.5 barrel?

RP12
08-19-2017, 10:54 AM
Does anyone know what the thread pitch/diameter is on the 6.5 barrel?If you're referring to the threaded muzzle, 5/8x24

tbk5
08-19-2017, 12:26 PM
If you're referring to the threaded muzzle, 5/8x24

Yes. Thank you!

bearcatrp
08-20-2017, 04:47 PM
Thanks i will give it a try when I run out of supplies... I started with 150gr cheaper bullets and it hated the lighter weights so I can see it likeing 175 or 178..
I was banging steel at 1000 yards a few weeks ago. 4 out of 10 hits. The others hit next to it. About 10 mph winds and a rolling range so was hard to judge the wind. Am shooting these at 2710 fps out of the barrel.

tbk5
08-20-2017, 06:14 PM
I just bought one. With the sale and coupons it was under $500. There is a 1000yd range about an hour away that I am in the process of joining. Now I am researching scopes. I have a Sightron (FFP, mrad) on my 308 that I like allot--sharp, bright and tracks true. But, so many choices.... Is there an advantage to moa vs mrad systems for 1000yds? Most of the higher magnification scopes seem to be MOA.

MacLaren
08-20-2017, 08:16 PM
Gosh, reminds me of my 1st Savage. The original FCP-SR with digi brown camo stock and aics compatible bottom metal. That ole gal was a real witch.
And I regret every day selling her :(

Deadshot2
08-21-2017, 04:39 PM
Well, I like the barrel. Not so fond of the bottom bolt release. The cocking indicator is kinds nice, but I prefer models without it so I can add a lift kit. Nice bolt handle for target or tactical use, don't care for it on a hunting rifle (too long). Good magazine. Savage is awfully proud of the Accustock, I am not so impressed with it. I have test fired several dozens of them, most shoot okay, some don't. Those that didn't could only be fixed by removing the aluminum "bedding" that squeezes the action and performing a traditional bedding job, completely negating the "3D bedding system" Savage is so proud of.

On the cocking indicator, just remove the firing pin and cut the rod off the back. It's the only difference between the old pins and the new ones with cocking indicator. I just did that with mine and it works just fine. Not a single light strike and I'm running the adjustment all the way back so just enough "point" is protruding from the assembly screw to fully seat in the disk and reduce friction. For lube I'd use some Loctite Anti-Seize, he silver stuff. Had a tube of it and put a small amount in the center of the disk where the point sits. I also polished the cocking surfaces in the bolt. Bolt lift is now a lot easier and smooth. Also, no more bolt jump when the cocking piece hits the bottom of the ramp. Just follow the instructions that come with the bolt lift kit and you're golden. I got mine from PT&G.

I got rid of the bottom bolt release and accustock in total. Put my 10T in an MDT-Tac-21 Chassis.

danp
09-05-2017, 01:02 PM

anybody ever check to see if the 10t-sr actually has 5r rifling? just bought one a couple weeks ago and it shoots all over the place. tried different scopes, bullet weights, etc. and no go after 60 rounds. I bought a bore camera/scope to see if I could find any obvious problems and to my surprise it has 6 lands not 5. also wondering what those who own these are torqueing the actions screws? cant seem to figure it out. if I can figure out how to upload a pic I will.