PDA

View Full Version : 257 Roberts Build questions

Bearlodge10
07-06-2017, 03:29 PM
First off, Please reply with links to past threads on this topic. I did a search and came up with a few but I am sure there are more on this site and others.
To the point. I have had a bug for years to build a 257 Roberts on savage platform and recently bought a model 111 to do so. The rifle is chambered for 25-06 currently. I thought that I had my thoughts together and that I would ease into it but I think I caught a bug or something as it seems I cant stop thinking, researching, scanning and scheming about it. So if a few of you could point me in the right direction that would be greatly appreciated. here are my questions
1. Aside from changing barrels and gauging for head space what else do I need to do or know before shooting?
2. In buying a barrel, do I need to order a new barrel nut as well? specifically if the action is blued and barrel is stainless
3. what aftermarket stock for good accuracy and durability
4. what else to consider for customizing without going overboard.

End result is a nice semi-light hunting rifle to hand down to my sons.

Thanks in advance.

psharon97
07-06-2017, 08:46 PM
1: the 25-06 and the 257 Roberts both use the same size bolt head. So you would need to use the go and no go gauges for headspace.
2: Unless you have a smooth barrel nut and want to get rid of it, no you don't need to buy another barrel nut. I would buy another recoil lug though.
3: There's too many stocks to count on. If you don't mind doing some work yourself, boyds makes excellent stocks for the money. Choate and B&C make decent synthetic stocks on the low end. You have custom stock makes the Fred at SSS and Manners stocks if you're looking for a high quality laminate stock. McMillan makes excellent stocks as well. Then there are the chassis systems that you can use. MDT and XLR are very popular here. Others can chime in on their favorites. I personally own a boyds, choate, SSS LVT stock, and a MDT LSS chassis. My personal favorite for comfort and looks would have to go to the LVT stock that Fred made for me.

4: Pick a high quality scope. Again, this will depend on your budget. I would look at a minimum of $500.

Bearlodge10
07-06-2017, 09:14 PM
Thanks Psharon97, I appreciate your answers to my simple questions. I wondered on the recoil lug. Any specific things to look for there? The barrel nut is smooth. It seems it will be harder to remove old barrel by myself. On that note, I am considering looking at an older model 110 for the project and not the 111.

psharon97
07-06-2017, 11:58 PM
To get the right tools, call Jim at NSS. If you don't already have the barrel, he might have one on the shelf that he can sell you. You will need the action wrench and barrel nut wrench. Since you have a smooth barrel nut, go ahead and order the older style nut. That way, you can more easily replace the barrels.

To remove the smooth barrel nut here's what I did: I put the action in the action wrench and tightened it down fairly tight. You don't need to tighten the thing down like a lug nut on your car, but it should be fairly tight. Next, I took a pipe wrench and a rubber mallet and beat on the pipe wrench to loosen the barrel. I don't recommend buying a barrel vise. You want the barrel to freely spin off of the action. I put my shoulder on the action wrench and while using that hand to hold the pipe wrench firm on the smooth barrel nut. With my free hand, I used the rubber mallet to beat on the pipe wrench. It sounds a lot more complicated than what it really is.

strut64
07-07-2017, 08:58 AM
It would be a very straightforward change to go to 257 Roberts from 2506. However (this is my opinion), if I had a 2506 that shot well I would consider it a waste of time and money to change to 257 Roberts. However it is your choice.

Bearlodge10
07-07-2017, 09:24 AM
Strut, I totally agree. However, the 25-06 is just the rifle I ended up buying for this build. I choose the Roberts because my grandfather build one on a sporterized Enfield rifle. That rifle shoots great ( In fact he won several bench rest competitions with it) but you can imagine that it is heavy and I with the weaver K4 on it I want to keep it that way. However, I love the round for the nostalgia and the thought of doing my own build in his honor. I tend to think he would have liked that even though I never got to meet him. I love the quarter bore and if I were choosing a caliber with good odds of finding ammo to buy for it, low recoil, flat shooting in the west for elk on down it would be the 25-06.