PDA

View Full Version : Fingers too long for consistent trigger pull...looking for suggestions

Pages : [1] 2

jfw432
07-06-2017, 01:51 PM
Is there a term for this? Using a pistol grip as an easier visual example, I'm looking to lengthen the distance from the front of the grip to the trigger. I know it's not length of pull since that's something else but I'm not even sure what terminology to search for. Trigger length usually just pulls up how much creep or overtravel the trigger has.

Basically the issue is that my finger is a bit too long for my Savage 12 FV and it's causing me to be a bit jerky at times with the trigger. I'm not necessarily against buying a different stock but it'd be silly to buy something else if I can't guarantee the placement of the trigger will be any better.

Any ideas?

LoneWolf
07-06-2017, 02:00 PM
The best grip allow you to place the pad of your index/trigger finger/booger hook on the face of the trigger shoe forming a 90* angle at the second knuckle with the 3rd knuckle straight and finger parallel to the trigger. I'm 6'5" with larger hands and the McMillan A5 allows me to do this perfectly if my hand placement is consistent on the palm swell. I'm unfamiliar with exactly what style stock is on the 12FV, but I would imagine a simple adjustment to your hand placement would make a large difference.

The reason for the 90* at the second knuckle is because the trigger finger will pull straight back more consistently in this format, but it takes practice and getting used too in order to develop the motor skill. I'll post a few pictures and maybe a video of what I'm trying to explain when I get home from work, but you can see roughly what I'm referring to in my avatar picture if you're observing the forum on a large enough screen.

LoneWolf
07-06-2017, 02:46 PM
This video is actually a pretty good view of working the grip and trigger in the format I stated above.

https://youtu.be/MUdU3Mr4iN8

jfw432
07-06-2017, 03:10 PM
Fair warning....I'm going to sound like an unquantifiable noob but here goes anyway.

I appreciate your help and I agree that is the correct way to shoot but unfortunately after 20 years of shooting, I've never been able to make that work for me. Why it doesn't work...I have some theories but bottom line is that it is very inconsistent for me. Maybe it's just that the vast majority of my shotguns and rifles have had a long reach or maybe it's a stout grip or callused fingers from rock climbing and waterskiing but regardless of the reason, I can't predict when my trigger will break so I occasionally get a little too aggressive and jerky especially if it's a day when my heartbeat is bouncing the gun a little more than normal. Maybe I just suck at shooting but I really like being able to grab the trigger with a straight index finger and I can't really position my hand far enough back to make that work.

LoneWolf
07-06-2017, 03:35 PM
There's 2 types of shooters that both shoot very well. Those that shoot well doing everything right that makes sense. Those that do many things wrong that don't. The key similarity between the two is consistency! Find what works for you and stick to it!

With that being said can you set up on your rifle and show your grip in a few pics? Maybe we can guide you along to better shooting!

jfw432
07-06-2017, 03:50 PM
There's 2 types of shooters that both shoot very well. Those that shoot well doing everything right that makes sense. Those that do many things wrong that don't. The key similarity between the two is consistency! Find what works for you and stick to it!

With that being said can you set up on your rifle and show your grip in a few pics? Maybe we can guide you along to better shooting!

Thanks for your help! You're awesome! I'll see if I can take some pictures of the differences when I get home a little later.

LoneWolf
07-06-2017, 05:02 PM
This is the kind of view I'm looking for. Just for your reference.

https://youtu.be/fRuNCQAYnwY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jfw432
07-06-2017, 05:57 PM
Not sure if you wanted video of trigger pulls or just pictures but here are some pictures. It's a little weird since I don't have a great place in the house to setup but should get the point across. The black savage is what I'm uncomfortable with and I can see that I'm kind of between the appropriate grip and my weird straight finger grip. It may be worth trying to move my hand forward to get the appropriate 90 degree angle with this gun and see how it does.

The wooden 10/22 shows what I'm more comfortable with using a straight finger. It's weird but it has always worked. The straight finger is easy to repeat since it would be work to grab the trigger any differently. Both triggers are hovering around 2lbs.

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m607/jfw432/20170706_173015_zpsp19dhjfc.jpg (http://s1134.photobucket.com/user/jfw432/media/20170706_173015_zpsp19dhjfc.jpg.html)
http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m607/jfw432/20170706_172813_zpsc4oc6out.jpg (http://s1134.photobucket.com/user/jfw432/media/20170706_172813_zpsc4oc6out.jpg.html)

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m607/jfw432/20170706_173425_zpswfpqh4yr.jpg (http://s1134.photobucket.com/user/jfw432/media/20170706_173425_zpswfpqh4yr.jpg.html)
http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m607/jfw432/e454248b-d3b9-4575-9333-6843f889e1e9_zpszvg1qt90.jpg (http://s1134.photobucket.com/user/jfw432/media/e454248b-d3b9-4575-9333-6843f889e1e9_zpszvg1qt90.jpg.html)

pisgah
07-06-2017, 06:20 PM
I see only one solution that will not require you to adopt a proper finger position -- amputate part of the trigger finger.

RC20
07-07-2017, 02:26 PM
You beat me to it!

LoneWolf
07-07-2017, 03:38 PM
Your length of pull set up could also be an issue. I would work on getting the proper grip and trigger finger placement through dry fire and make it muscle memory. I noted from your earlier post that you mentioned you used to shoot shotguns a lot. Shot gunners usually have the worst form when it comes to "Precision" shooting. I think it would be best for you to retrain and depending on where you want to take your shooting skills along with the intended use of this rifle you may want to restock to something the allows you to better work proper mechanics. Hunting style stocks put the wrist in a very contorted position. They are not my preference for any style of shooting. I will always choose something with a more vertical grip on a bolt gun.

Arky 223
07-07-2017, 04:38 PM
432 I had a jerking problem and solved it by keeping the inside of my finger on the trigger guard as I applied pressure on the trigger. Doing it exactly as the shooter in Lonewolf's Utube video. May help.

Robinhood
07-07-2017, 11:08 PM
If I were coaching someone with your hand position I would say you grip facilitated a twisting of the rifle when you pull the trigger. If you look at Lone Wolfs thumb in the picture he posted, it is placed high on top of the stock. If you try that in combination with his description of finger position and angles you have a good foundation for accuracy. I may have misunderstood what you were trying to say but it seems like the unpredictable release of the trigger was an issue for you. When shooting for accuracy the focus is maintaining perfect reticle position through out a constant pull of the trigger. This ensures regardless of when the trigger breaks that the rifle will be pointing at the desired aim point.

Don't forget about the correct parallax settings. Seen lots of guys getting into long range with their new 2500 dollar Nightforce thinking it was a side focus knob.

foxx
07-08-2017, 01:02 AM
It appears to me you are pressing the side of the trigger when firing the 10/22, which isn't proper. Ideally, your finger should be pressing the trigger straight back. In order to do so, you need to "get in front of it" more. If I am right, you actually have a better "fit" with the Savage.

jfw432
07-08-2017, 01:27 PM
I'll give the proper way another shot tomorrow and see how it does with this gun. Given the fact that hands are vastly different in size and how critical everyone seems to describe the proper trigger pull, I'm really amazed the length from grip to trigger is not adjustable or even a measured length. Sounds like it's a very critical length and it must be right but one size fits all? I get that you can kind of get it right with the slope in most stocks but then you start changing wrist angles....is that why a lot of serious shooters prefer the more upright grip?

foxx
07-08-2017, 02:22 PM
yes, for "target" or "tactical" or "varmint" hunting.

But, for deer hunting or carrying, I don't think they are as practical or versatile. While deer hunting, I like to stalk to my stand, carrying the rifle by the pistol grip, being ready to pull up and shoot quickly like I was rabbit or bird hunting. I can't do that as well with a vertical grip stock. Of course, in those situations, even shooting off a rest at a deer at 200 yards, proper finger form and trigger control is not really an issue.

Robinhood
07-08-2017, 04:11 PM
JW, when you dry fire do you notice the reticle moving?

jfw432
07-08-2017, 05:42 PM
No the reticle doesn't move when I dry fire either way even when trying to center on something roughly 1000 yards away. I can shoot sub moa groups at 400 yards but the fear of yanking the trigger is higher when I don't have a straight finger. It's certainly mental more than anything which obviously can translate into flinching or jerking and that's always my concern.

This is why I like barely touching the trigger with a straight finger....I don't really have enough power behind the tip of my finger to accidentally jerk the trigger.

LoneWolf
07-08-2017, 05:46 PM
Sounds like you need to spend time doing some dry fire practice. Once it's muscle memory the shooting part is easy. 90% of my practice is dry firing, so I can tell you all about the benefits or you can go give it a try for yourself! As they say "Perfect practice makes perfect!"

Robinhood
07-08-2017, 06:11 PM
I agree LW. I can see no good pushing the trigger sideways. Sub MOA at 400 with a hunting rifle? You ain't got no trigger squeeze problem.