PDA

View Full Version : 116 action and 3.850 Accurate mag bottom metal?

MTHunt
07-03-2017, 03:32 AM
I have been acquiring parts to build a long range hunting magnum but trying to keep the weight down. Going to go with a carbon barrel. So far I have a 116 centerfeed top bolt release and ordered the Savage accurate mag bottom metal. The mag is the 3.850 length and am planning on running a 7mm Rem mag with 168 or 180 VLDs long to use more case capacity somewhere near 3.6 something with 180's.

Anyway before I order a stock either a McMillan A3 sporter or HS precision M24 style, I am curious if the action will need any work to allow these mags to run? I assumed not since the hs precision stock will accept the bottom metal i.e. the HS in 338 lapua. I used the SA version awhile ago on a build and it works perfect.
I have tried lining things up to see how they will fit, but its hard to do without a stock.

Anyone done this and how did it work? If not what needs to be done? Thanks.

J.Baker
07-03-2017, 02:29 PM
I wouldn't think the action would need to be modified at all, but always best to call and ask Accurate Mag directly.

Zero333
07-03-2017, 08:00 PM
The 3.850 magazine is for 338 LM action but it will work with standard Savage long action. However, you will have to modify the feed lips of the magazine (pinch them inward a little) for it to feed belted magnum cases since the 338LM case is a bit fatter.