View Full Version : 223 Remington velocities and pressures.

Pages : 1 [2]

bigedp51
07-21-2017, 02:30 PM
Everyone here is a faceless screen name, so in that respect, I'm just as credible as Hollinger or any other source for this "undocumented" data. Maybe if people would actually do their own "hands on" technical research, they could quit believing in blind faith by swallowing all this regurgitated data that comes from questionable sources.

sharpshooter, I have two AR15 rifles and a Savage .223 and my Savage rifle does not have a throat twice as long as my AR15 rifles. This was checked by another faceless screen name by seating the bullet long and chambering this test case and letting the rifling seat the bullet.

sharpshooter, I'm not trying to be insulting but you are the only one on the Internet saying Savage rifles have throats longer than .100

The SAAMI .223 - 5.56 interchangeability warning came out in 1979 with the introduction of the M885 5.56 round and the lengthened throat on the M16 rifles.

I for one would like to know when Savage lengthened their throats and see actual printed Savage data on the subject.

Bottom line, a Savage reamer print would put a end to this discussion.

sharpshooter
07-23-2017, 07:41 PM
If your chamber is shorter than .100", you have the exception, not the rule. If I'm the only one on the internet saying things, it's because I'm the only one measuring such things. Many rifles come through my shop and I have the opportunity to a broad sample of specimens. Savage didn't start chambering the .223 until 1981, so they were aware of the confusion and decided to play it safe by making long freebore right at the get-go.
I'd like to see a reamer print ,also.....but it wouldn't mean anything. If it's like the rest of their prints, they don't necessarily follow the numbers.

I have a stack of factory prints for receivers, barrels, stocks and bolt & action components.....a lot of them have several revisions over the years, half of which were never implemented. Tolerances may or may not be observed, bottom line is if it functions and goes bang...it goes out the door. Sometimes the function is even questionable, but yet is goes out the door. If you've seen half the stuff I have, you'd know why I question printed data, it's not the last word.