PDA

View Full Version : .308 Recoil???

Pages : [1] 2

swrider
07-01-2017, 01:49 AM
Hey everyone, thanks for stopping by. Just started reading this forum and this is my first post on here.
Not sure if this is the right place for this question but having never fired a .308, i was hoping to find some sort of comparison for its recoil. Is it similar to what is felt when u fire a 12ga. shotgun???
Right now i am in the process of trying to decide what caliber axis to go with; .308 seems like the better choice over .223 based on ling range accuracy and the fact that i can take down big game. But the .223 is lighter and the recoil to me seems like non existant, which is a great thing if i'll spend long times on the range. Plus the wife can shoot it as well.
Any and all comments are greatly appreciated [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RustyShackle
07-01-2017, 02:02 AM
http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

this might help.

Range and accuracy? Either should do equally well.

Recoil is subjective to the shooter, some people are more sensitive than others, hard to say one way or another. There are a handful of calibers that are intermediate between the 223 and 308 that can be ethically used to hunt big game, although that is dependant on the species of big game and shot distance. The 243, 6.5 creedmoor are pretty popular choices

pisgah
07-01-2017, 08:32 AM
It is clear from your post that you don't have much, if any, experience with centerfire rifle shooting. Recoil can be measured by mechanical means, and using those means it will be clear that the .308 recoils substantially more than the .223 -- but that information really doesn't tell you much. As RustyShackle has said, the effect of recoil on the shooter is wholly subjective. I can well recall when as a kid I first fired a .30-30 rifle. The recoil seemed unbearable to me at the time; now, it seems barely worth notice. Experience has taught me not only that the .30-30's recoil is mild compared to that of many, many other big game cartridges (including the .308), it has taught me how to handle the recoil of even much heavier rounds without discomfort.

If I were teaching you, I would start you off with the lowly .22 Long Rifle. Not only is the .22 one of the most accurate and useful of all cartridges, it is also quiet and just about totally recoil-free, and allows an inexperienced shooter to work on and master the basics of rifle-shooting accuracy without the distraction of recoil. Then, ideally I would move you up gradually -- maybe to the .223, then to the .243 -- and let you accustom yourself to some recoil before getting in to kickers of the .308/.270/.30-06 class.

In keeping with that philosophy, the .223 might be the right choice for you to make; not only will the recoil be much milder, but the ammo cost will be substantially less than for the .308. These two factors might allow you enough comfortable, affordable shooting to turn you in to a real rifle-shooter, whereas jumping right in to the .308 could make you both too gun-shy and too broke to go very far. Later on, if big-game hunting becomes a real possibility, a step up to something in the .308 class would be appropriate, and the transition from one level to the next much more manageable. I am thinking of a couple of people I know who decided upon a .44 Magnum as their first handgun, and who soon swore off handgun shooting altogether and lost substantial money selling their expensive revolvers. That's NOT a result you want!

olddav
07-01-2017, 09:01 AM
You asked for a comparison between the recoil of a 12 ga and a .308 rifle. I shoot a 30-06 Savage and I would say the recoil is less than that of a 12ga shooting buckshot. As others have noted recoil is subjective.

edit
One thing worth noting is recoil pads are you friend. They can make some really stout calibers manageable, in the way of recoil.

Robinhood
07-01-2017, 10:21 AM
Shooters new to the game here about the classic calibers and the military rounds before anything else. 223, 308, 270 and 30-06 are examples. Some you may not be familiar with are a 243, Not much recoil but much more powerful than the 223. The 7mm08 a step uo from the 243 with more nockdown power but still not the recoil of a 308. The 6.5 Creedmoor is the cat's meow for a new shooter, great accuracy, light recoil perfect for medium size game. And is Robinhood's choice for a nubee. (not that that means anything)

Deadshot2
07-01-2017, 10:38 AM
One thing worth noting is recoil pads are you friend. They can make some really stout calibers manageable, in the way of recoil.

I've found in all the years and different calibers (including shotguns) I've shot, the recoil pad doesn't really absorb all that much recoil. It does however make sure that the force is more evenly distributed across the muscles, tendons, and bones in the shoulder so it doesn't hurt as much as if you have a steel, military, buttplate or hard plastic one like many civilian rifles have. Kind of like a cushion on a hard chair. You won't weigh any less but YOUR Butt doesn't hurt as much. :) :)

swrider
07-01-2017, 11:46 AM
Thanks for all the replies people. Much appreciated.
Pisgah, you are correct sir, i have limited experience with certerfire rifles. I shot the 22lr when i was growing up and then moved up to the M16 for my Navy days. Shot that and the Mossberg a lot. But outside of that, i know nothing of shooting bolt actions and other calibers. My dad's favorite is the 30-30 but i was told that a better option would be the 30-06 and .308
The reason i lean towards the 308 is that i feel that its a caliber i can grow into, meaning i can get good at hitting close groups at 100yds and then move on to 300uds and 600yds.
Again, not sure how incorrect the info i have from others, but i was told to discard the .223 because its a varmint gun not really suitable for hitting targets farther than 300yds.

prdatr
07-01-2017, 12:03 PM
It's going to be on par with 1oz dove load. When you get one fire the first half dozen shots from a standing position to get a feeling for the rifle and the recoil before sitting at a bench to sight it in. 308 is a great choice, good luck.

pisgah
07-01-2017, 12:11 PM
Thanks for all the replies people. Much appreciated.
Pisgah, you are correct sir, i have limited experience with certerfire rifles. I shot the 22lr when i was growing up and then moved up to the M16 for my Navy days. Shot that and the Mossberg a lot. But outside of that, i know nothing of shooting bolt actions and other calibers. My dad's favorite is the 30-30 but i was told that a better option would be the 30-06 and .308
The reason i lean towards the 308 is that i feel that its a caliber i can grow into, meaning i can get good at hitting close groups at 100yds and then move on to 300uds and 600yds.
Again, not sure how incorrect the info i have from others, but i was told to discard the .223 because its a varmint gun not really suitable for hitting targets farther than 300yds.

There's merit to the idea of the .308 being superior for target work at long ranges, although diehard shooters will tell you the .223 ain't no slouch in such an application when loaded with heavy, long-for caliber bullets in the proper barrel. But that's getting in to the custom/fanatic range, and is beyond beginner's territory. And while I have taken deer handily at out to 200 yards with the .223 using premium 62-gr. bullets, the round is definitely better-suited to smaller stuff. You plan sounds good -- develop good habits at shorter ranges, and they'll be applicable out as far as you'd ever care to shoot.

19trax95
07-01-2017, 12:40 PM
Comparing the recoil of my 308 to my 12 ga, I'd have to say the 308 is around the same as the 12 with buck shot. Slugs I'd say the 12 has more.

But I find the 308 to be more of a firm push, whereas the 12 ga is more of a kick. But that is also due to the 308 having a nice butt pad on it and a very heavy barrel which adds weight to the gun.

It's also how you shoot it. If you hold it loose, either one is going to hurt. A nice firm hold on the rifle will make it feel much better.

DrThunder88
07-01-2017, 02:59 PM
Keep in mind Axises tend to run on the light side with their polymer stocks. Many people will add weight to their Axis stocks or replace them with a wood stocks, which can help nullify some of the recoil.

swrider
07-01-2017, 03:45 PM
Just saw an Axis at WallyWorld going for $349 in a .308, hardwood and scope. Good enough deal?
How does the hardwood feel???

RustyShackle
07-01-2017, 05:03 PM
The 12FV at cabelas @ $369 is a better deal IMHO. Nothing wrong with the axis though.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/SAVAGE-FV-VARMINT-RIFLE/1994604.uts

Robinhood
07-01-2017, 05:35 PM
The 12FV at cabelas @ $369 is a better deal IMHO. Nothing wrong with the axis though.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/SAVAGE-FV-VARMINT-RIFLE/1994604.uts

This.

ivob
07-01-2017, 05:55 PM
okay here is the condensed version - load your 12g with a 3 inch slug (assuming your shot gun can shoot three inch shells) hold the gun close to your shoulder and pull the trigger - now do it again this time hold firmly against your shoulder - there you have it

Robinhood
07-01-2017, 09:32 PM
okay here is the condensed version - load your 12g with a 3 inch slug (assuming your shot gun can shoot three inch shells) hold the gun close to your shoulder and pull the trigger - now do it again this time hold firmly against your shoulder - there you have it

I shoot 185's out to 100 with as much velocity I can get. Never thought it was close to a 12 gauge. Thinking there are some manginas in here.

RustyShackle
07-01-2017, 09:46 PM

Please do not follow the advice of holding the gun close to the shoulder and shooting. Bad, bad idea, from multiple perspectives. I'm thinking it must be tongue in cheek, but just in case it's not...

swrider
07-02-2017, 12:28 AM
Close to the shoulder, yeah i think i don't need to be breaking anything thanks.

Willy
07-10-2017, 12:18 PM
Is the savage 12 FV old stock? All I see on the Savage website is the 12 FCV.

SageRat Shooter
07-11-2017, 10:26 AM
the 12 FV is a Cabelas Exclusive... You won't see it listed on Savage's website. However the closest thing to it is the 12 FCV.