PDA

View Full Version : Action wrench or Barrel wrench

joeb33050
09-28-2009, 07:17 AM
I need to take the barrels off my M10 and Striker. I ordered a barrel nut wrench. I got advice to get an Action wrench from some, and a Barrel wrench from others. I only want to buy what I need. Barrel or Action wrench, which do I need?
Thanks;
joe b.

BrentWin
09-28-2009, 08:10 AM
Action wrench all the way. I gives you the grip you need to bust loose factory barrels the first time.

I would suggest getting one and then take it to a machine shop and have them mill a slot in it so that you don't have to take off the front scope mount to change barrels.

BobT
09-28-2009, 09:07 AM
I use an action wrench, it has not failed yet to loosen a factory barrel on the first try. I also like the portability of the action wrench as opposed to the barrel vise.

Bob

Forester
09-29-2009, 08:58 AM
Another vote for the Action wrench. I use the Wheeler engineering one, its nothing special but it does the job.

That said, I am going to get a set of barrel vice jaws from Northlander before I put the next one together just for the extra set of hands.

bsekf
09-29-2009, 10:07 AM
If you remove a barrel using a barrel vise, you only need a barrel wrench. If you don't use the barrel vise you need an action wrench and a barrel wrench. Am I right so far? The action wrench is a replacement for the bolt, a bar with locking lugs. How do you hold everything steady while you smack the barrel wrench with the BIG hammer?

groupshooter22
09-29-2009, 10:33 AM
The action wrench your describing is a rear entry action wrench and should not be used to remove a factory installed barrel. Most of us use the wheeler action wrench that midway sells. It goes on the out side of the action and clamps on with a bolt in the front action screw and two big bolts that clamp the two halves to the action.

northlander
09-29-2009, 12:43 PM
joeb33050,
I would suggest the Wheeler Engineering Savage Action Wrench and a Barrel Nut Wrench that is machined for a 1/2" ratchet or breaker bar. With these tools you can remove and install the Savage Barrels of your choice.

Caution - Do Not Overtighten the Action Wrench. You can actually crush a receiver if you apply too much pressure. Just snug it up good and tweak it slightly. The Wheeler Wrench has the ability to use a 1/4-28 screw to lock the receiver in position prior to loosening the barrel nut. I also apply a single thickness of Duct Tape inside the Action Wrench surfaces that contact your receiver (no marring).

Jim Briggs
NSS