PDA

View Full Version : I have some question on reloading

Pages : 1 2 [3]

LoneWolf
07-03-2017, 08:34 AM
I started with the Lee Anniversary Kit myself, I now use the press for all my depriming/priming and picked up an RCBS Summit press for all the other work. Also added a Charge Master to my bench and now am looking to get an annealer and Giraud Power trimmer pretty soon. But I've continued to improve my bench from where I started as my knowledge and experience of reloading has improved. Starting with a budget friendly kit is nice as it let's you choose where you want to invest in a more efficient/consistent method within your reloading processes. I'm now to a point where I'm happy with the outcome of my work at the bench, but want to improve my brass prep efficiency. Starting on the low end makes you truly appreciate your upgrades as you've already done it the hard way and learned plenty of lessons while doing so!

bowhntr62a
07-03-2017, 09:51 AM
How good of a crimp are you using ? A crimp can mean a lot for semi auto pistols !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19trax95
07-03-2017, 10:04 AM
It's crimping it just enough to leave a slight mark on the bullet.

19trax95
07-03-2017, 07:29 PM
I just got home from the range. I brought my father along and asked that he bring his kimber micro 380.

I shot the 10 new rounds I made up through my pistol (Glock 42) and they fed and cycled flawlessly and had what id say is similar felt recoil as some factory ammo.

I also brought along some of the original rounds I made. I loaded one into his micro 380 and shot it. It cycled the slide and locked it back no problem. So loaded up a mag of 6 and it shot all of them without a hiccup.

One thing I did note was that it seems like they don't feed as nice as factory ammo. They still feed, but it just seems like they hit something and slow the slide down on the first round.

Perhaps the coal is a bit too long? I'm using .975" as that's what the book said they tested them at. I see some guys are running .970, which is the minimum if I recall. And .980 is the max.

I am running a 100 grain bullet so those are longer I'd imagine than a 90 grain.

If I wanted to shorten the coal to say .972, I would think I would then need to reduce the powder charge since if I understand, the less space between the powder and the bullet, the higher the case pressure.

RC20
08-08-2017, 08:11 PM
I started with the Lee Anniversary Kit myself, I now use the press for all my depriming/priming and picked up an RCBS Summit press for all the other work. Also added a Charge Master to my bench and now am looking to get an annealer and Giraud Power trimmer pretty soon. But I've continued to improve my bench from where I started as my knowledge and experience of reloading has improved. Starting with a budget friendly kit is nice as it let's you choose where you want to invest in a more efficient/consistent method within your reloading processes. I'm now to a point where I'm happy with the outcome of my work at the bench, but want to improve my brass prep efficiency. Starting on the low end makes you truly appreciate your upgrades as you've already done it the hard way and learned plenty of lessons while doing so!

I will recommend the ANNIE annealer (with the Ferrite bars). Not cheap, but it works well. You do need to be very careful with your initial testing, I would get the 750 and 800 deg Tempilag. (cant get the crayons to stick).

A couple of items have come up. Using the bars with a wider opening makes for more uniform annealing (neck down to shoulder)

Clean brass (stainless pins in a solution) anneals slower than carboned brass. That is nice as you don't get the puff of smoke.

I have to re-test mine as the 800 was melting before the750 so there was an error in one or the other.

I just got it in (comp[any in town so not tested). I just under annealed till I could resolve it.

As for Trimmers, I would suggest looking at the Trim It II.

I do have two of the Gerard Tri Trimmers and love them.

They did not make one in my most recent cartridge so I started looking.

Trim it II runs about $140 (trimmer and the insert, its a shame, you used to get two or three insets with it)

However, each new insert is only about $25. You do have to adjust the blades again.

My brother has the motorized Gerard and it works with pre setup blades and inserts (and also more calibers)

I started with the hammer Lee loader, what a disaster (1973?) Then got the RCBS Ju8nior (just pistol at the time, worked fine)

When I went to rifle I got the kit with the Rock Chucker. I am set for life as my brother gave me his.

I got the Lyman Auto Charger, I like it a lot, pretty much all good though I would like a few more buttons over the screen (screen is too small, I got the screen thingy to input commands)

I am about set. I will get the stainless pin setup eventually. It really does complete clean a case, primers pockets as well.

My brother got one, its pretty costly at $350 as I recall (don't remember the name). Its solid and well done though and its a life time investment as is the Annealer.

He just bought Wal Mart drying system for food to dry the cases and works perfectly.

rjtfroggy
08-09-2017, 11:01 AM
Wow if you bought everything on one of these guys list you would be better off buying match ammo by the case and have a life time supply.

LoneWolf
08-09-2017, 12:22 PM
Wow if you bought everything on one of these guys list you would be better off buying match ammo by the case and have a life time supply.

I do sometimes think about it.... Just shoot 308 and buy a ton of FGMM lol. If I was just an average shooter I would be perfectly content with my set up. But I spend a lot of time at the bench and both efficiency and quality are high on my list! You'll never actually come out positive because you'll continue to find a "better" way lol.

rjtfroggy
08-09-2017, 01:30 PM
I do sometimes think about it.... Just shoot 308 and buy a ton of FGMM lol. If I was just an average shooter I would be perfectly content with my set up. But I spend a lot of time at the bench and both efficiency and quality are high on my list! You'll never actually come out positive because you'll continue to find a "better" way lol.

Been there and doing that. But I gathered most of my stuff over forty years of reloading, not when I was just starting out.

LoneWolf
08-09-2017, 02:10 PM
Been there and doing that. But I gathered most of my stuff over forty years of reloading, not when I was just starting out.

I'm up to 3yrs.... gotta get it in while I'm still young [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC20
08-10-2017, 07:59 PM
Mine is a mix of 40 years ago and newly acquired as I got going and realized ammo quality had to up its game to match the gun quality.

So while not required, a match set die by RCBS or Forsterr with Micrometer seaters is a large improvement but the cost is great. (over $100 each and you might as well get the sizer die to go with it!)

Then I bust my Forester sizer pin with an unintended mix in of some HXP that had the crimp out but not gone enough. sheeese.

Unlike RCBS who will send you parts even if you goof , I had to buy the pin - grrr