PDA

View Full Version : New guy from Ohio

Rayzzr
06-25-2017, 08:59 AM
Hi all, new guy from Western Central Ohio, born and raised in Alabama. Just bought a Savage FCP-SR in 6.5 Creedmoor the day before Father's Day and I am looking forward to shooting it (no glass yet). My other hobbies are sport bikes, homebrewing, hiking, hunting and trap shooting.

I am new to distance shooting, so this opens up a new ballgame for me. I can't deer hunt in OH with the new iron, straightwall cartridge only...but I can hone my distance shooting skills and get ready for my next round of hog hunting in Texas. I can also nail some Yotes with it.

Fwiw, I went to the store to get a Rem700 .308, as I shoot Rems in trap/sporting clays and thought that is what I wanted. For various reasons I walked out with the 10FCP-SR in 6.5

drybean
06-25-2017, 11:16 AM
Great choice & Welcome aboard

ttexastom
06-25-2017, 02:10 PM
Welcome to brothers of the barrel nut, you will love the 6.5.

J.Baker
06-25-2017, 07:57 PM
Welcome to the site! What part of west central Ohio?

Rayzzr
06-26-2017, 09:46 AM
Welcome to the site! What part of west central Ohio?

Just North of Dayton in the St Marys area. Looking for a decent place to try some long range shooting with the new iron. Our local gun club only has a 100yrd range. I think the Lima SABRES club has a 300yrd one, but only members are allowed to use it (or so I have been told). A buddy told me that there are rumors of a 1000 yard range being built somewhere in or around Cridersville.

ragsflh
06-26-2017, 11:41 AM
howdy

Phranque
06-26-2017, 06:44 PM
Welcome from a fellow Buckeye south of Dayton. A 1000 yd'er would be nice within an hour if that were true.... :thumb:

J.Baker
06-28-2017, 07:52 AM
Just North of Dayton in the St Marys area. Looking for a decent place to try some long range shooting with the new iron. Our local gun club only has a 100yrd range. I think the Lima SABRES club has a 300yrd one, but only members are allowed to use it (or so I have been told). A buddy told me that there are rumors of a 1000 yard range being built somewhere in or around Cridersville.

We have 200 yards up here in Delphos at the Black Swamp Rifle & Pistol Club. The 300 yard range at Lima Saber's is the longest you'll find in the area, and they do so many different types of matches there's not much "open" range time for casual shooting. Black Swamp gets quite a few members from Lima for that reason. There's a club in Roanoke, IN (just south of Ft. Wayne on I-69) that goes out to 1,000 yards but last I checked it was like $500/year for a membership.

I heard the same rumor about a 1,000 range by Cridersville a few months ago but I haven't been able to find anyone to confirm it. It would be nice to have a 1k range in the area, but I'm not holding my breath at this point.

Hotolds442
08-14-2017, 08:49 AM
Welcome!