PDA

View Full Version : Need a set of shooting bags Recs please

KTP
06-21-2017, 09:11 AM
Folks for years I have shot off of various sandbags, a very average adjustable front rest, sometimes a bipod with bags as the back anchor, and I'm at a point where I'd like to establish a little more consistency without going through the contortions of constantly moving bags on the bench. Please share what front and rear bags you have had success with and also what rear bag you like with a bipod.

yobuck
06-21-2017, 11:12 AM
If I were a serious competitor especially in long range benchrest, id no doubt be looking at one of the joy stick front rests.
As for a rear bag for that I'm not sure, but would be paying close attention to what the winners are using.
But since I'm not, I use either a bipod or a very basic front rest with a leather rabbit ear bag made by Protector in Galeton PA.
Since the bag is also used for hunting, it's filled with a light weight filler, which in my case is small paint ball gun beads.
We, meaning long range hunters in the region I hunt, have devised a front rest for hunting which is used in conjunction with the bench we use.
With it you will not lose sight of the target due to recoil, or the animal running in any direction. But the rear bag is still used for fine tuning.
But ive also made due by using my fist. None of which is probably what you were hoping to hear. lol

SageRat Shooter
06-21-2017, 11:34 AM
I've had good luck with "Dog gone good" front bags... For my rear bag I use the Basic Caldwell dead shot rabbit eared bag. The other front bag I use is the Champion "Gorilla bag" or the mini version... I am not a competition shooter though, just trying to expand my shooting ability.

The Caldwell dead shot is used for my bipod (Harris 6-9) also and works just fine.

KTP
06-21-2017, 05:34 PM
I'm not a competition shooter either. Have a range and bench here at the house and can shoot out to 200 and looking for better options to get more consistent shot after follow up. Thanks guys! Any other thoughts ?

Handi204
06-22-2017, 07:59 AM
I have a Caldwell Tack Driver that does well. I just got a rear bag and haven't used them together. Also I have read good things about the Bulls Bag rest also.
Handi204

schnyd112
06-22-2017, 11:14 PM
Triad tactical and don't look back. I carry one in my hunting pack just in case I need extra confidence. I don't usually shoot with a rear bag, and am almost strictly bipod for a front rest. I use it mostly for load development, getting dopes, but have used it in the field on a couple coyotes that were way out there. These triad packs are quick, easy, light and allow the rifle to track true.
https://www.triadtactical.com/Triad-Tapered-Rear-Bag.html

m12lrs
06-23-2017, 03:42 AM
Protektor

Sinclair.lightweight rest with generation 2 top

KTP
06-23-2017, 10:10 AM
Been looking at the Triad products. Are you using the standard bag or the large?

Blackthorn
06-24-2017, 11:09 AM
Bald Eagle for the front rest..

Protektor rear bag with slick ears and filled with heavy sand.

Not for running and gunning but from a stationary position about as steady as you can get.

m12lrs
06-24-2017, 02:36 PM
Bald Eagle for the front rest..

Protektor rear bag with slick ears and filled with heavy sand.

Not for running and gunning but from a stationary position about as steady as you can get.

"Protektor rear bag with slick ears and filled with heavy sand."

Exactly what i have. Dr bag rabbit ears 1/2"between the ears heavy sand handle 3m slick stuff

Now this is my front rest and i love it.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2017/01/new-seb-mini-joystick-tripod-rest-reviewed/