PDA

View Full Version : Best Vortex scope for centerfire rifles

Pages : [1] 2

BredWest
06-19-2017, 08:15 AM
Hello, guys! Cna someone please mention the best Vortex scope (http://perfectriflescope.com/the-best-vortex-rifle-scopes-review/) with the highest recoil for centerfire rifles? more comments and if possible display the picture!
http://perfectriflescope.com/wp-content/uploads/rifle_scopes/31L5Dq7KbnL1_w330_h330.jpg

holescreek
06-19-2017, 10:33 AM
I can't tel you the best one but I can tell you DO NOT waste a dime on a CrossfireII. The bad experience of returning mine 4 times for replacement put me off on trying any other Vortex scope models. I've been buying new Sightron's.

darkker
06-19-2017, 11:08 AM
Yeah, this is MOSTLY a subjective question.
How good are your eyes? What are you shooting? What is your skill level? etc etc.

A few good friends have bought Razr's and all have had to send them back home after less than 100 rounds of 308 fired. My $230 Primary Arms have fired well past 2K rounds and haven't had a single hiccup. Does that mean one is "superior" to the other? Absolutely not.
I shoot to a mile with some regularity (less recently due to work), and my friends aspire to hit 1,000. For me personally, the PA isn't the best glass I have or have had; BUT they can easily get the job done and not require a small loan. Everyone has their "Budget" line, and they should be seen as what they are, for what they are.

psharon97
06-19-2017, 12:09 PM
That's not enough information to give a recommendation. What kind of rifle are you going to run this on. Most scopes will easily handle the recoil from a bolt gun. It's the semi-auto 308 and above that will destroy your scopes if you buy cheap not just from the recoil, but from the movement of bolt as it actuates.

Robinhood
06-19-2017, 04:33 PM
What is the limit of your budget?

1 ) AMG
2 ) Razor GenII
3 ) ?

The Chinese have made huge improvements in the last 5 years but when you look at the warranty work it is still 20:1(random number pulled from nether regons but may be close) Chinese over Japanese.

stomp442
06-19-2017, 06:06 PM
If you want to be a very satisfied with the best customer service in the business by a vortex. If you want a scope that will work, track repeatably and be reliable buy something else. I have had nothing but bad luck with vortex optics on my rifles as well as clients rifles. I can count on one hand how many vortex scopes I have had zero issues with. I have sent everything from the crossfire line all the way through the HS and HST/PST line of viper optics back for tracking and a host of other issues. I would trust a cheap Walmart Tasco over anything Vortex makes. Save just a little bit more money and buy something else anything else.

hafejd30
06-20-2017, 06:29 AM
Best vortex for me has been a Sightron lol. Like the above I had nothing but issues with elevation knobs failing etc. I owned 1 HS and 2 PST. I had a 66% failure rate. I now run Sightron. Own 4 of those. One of which I owned longer than the vortex. Never one issue with them

The vortex were on a 308 and AR 15

Sightron on 308 bolt/AR 10/260 Rem/300 WM/338 LM- have shot over a mile with these as well

But if you insist on vortex get whatever one has the smallest dimensions....it'll fit better in your mailbox when you send it in..

SageRat Shooter
06-20-2017, 12:55 PM
+1 for the Sightron line over the Vortex... Similar price points, but the Sightron SIII is actually compared to a Nightforce NXS more often than the Vortex PST line. There are different levels of scopes though, so take a look at your options... The picture the OP posted looks like the crossfire line (NOT the one you want to buy)... you would be better served with a Leupold or Nikon even instead of the Crossfire.... IMO of course.

Rob01
06-20-2017, 04:34 PM
If you want to be a very satisfied with the best customer service in the business by a vortex. If you want a scope that will work, track repeatably and be reliable buy something else. I have had nothing but bad luck with vortex optics on my rifles as well as clients rifles. I can count on one hand how many vortex scopes I have had zero issues with. I have sent everything from the crossfire line all the way through the HS and HST/PST line of viper optics back for tracking and a host of other issues. I would trust a cheap Walmart Tasco over anything Vortex makes. Save just a little bit more money and buy something else anything else.

A large generalization. Vortex makes scopes from $199-2500. The Razors, especially the Razor II and AMGs, are very reliable and track great. Buy a Crossfire II and you might not get the same but you also spent 10x less for it. I have multiple PST FFP scopes that have never given an issue. I had one older Razor from about 6 years ago that had an issue with a knob but that was it. I have run Razor IIs on my match rifles for 3 years and no issues and they still track perfectly even after being beat around.

To answer the OP's question, buy the best you can afford and that goes for any optic.

stomp442
06-20-2017, 07:23 PM
If I'm dropping that kind of money on an optic it will not have the Vortex name on it that's for sure. My previous statement may be a generalization but I own plenty of optics at a comparable price and feature point as that of the Viper line and never had an issue. Leupolds, Sightrons and even Nikons have been trouble free while the Vortex stuff is constantly being sent in for repair. I have so little faith in the Vortex product that last year I won a PST scope in a raffle which cost me I think a whopping $10 bucks and I never even bothered to mount it, just turned around and sold it. I didn't even want to bother with the eventual hassle.

I mount all my optics in Burris Signature Zee rings and have them torqued to the proper setting. I have had multiple tracking issues, reticles spinning when adjusting the magnification, target knobs coming off in my hand while making adjustments and one that ended up full of water after spending a couple hours hunkered under a tree in a light rain shower glassing for deer. I feel as though I have given them more than a fair shake and at this point cringe every time a client brings one in to mount on their rifle. The first thing anyone says about Vortex optics when asked about them is that their warranty and customer service is fantastic, which it is, but that alone should tell you something.

psharon97
06-20-2017, 09:47 PM
I've never personally had any deal breaking issues with my any of my Vortex scopes. The only issue I've had was the crosshair illuminator going out on one of my scopes. It only got fixed because I decided to get the stock professionally finished. Otherwise, it never would have been sent back. The other scopes I have track perfectly, return to zero, and perform. Are these the scopes that I would take to Iraq? Nope, but for my purposes, they serve me well.

I can only speak for my personal experiences with vortex and I haven't had a problem that turns my stomach quote like barska, tasco, ect.

Rob01
06-21-2017, 11:19 AM
If I'm dropping that kind of money on an optic it will not have the Vortex name on it that's for sure. My previous statement may be a generalization but I own plenty of optics at a comparable price and feature point as that of the Viper line and never had an issue. Leupolds, Sightrons and even Nikons have been trouble free while the Vortex stuff is constantly being sent in for repair. I have so little faith in the Vortex product that last year I won a PST scope in a raffle which cost me I think a whopping $10 bucks and I never even bothered to mount it, just turned around and sold it. I didn't even want to bother with the eventual hassle.

I mount all my optics in Burris Signature Zee rings and have them torqued to the proper setting. I have had multiple tracking issues, reticles spinning when adjusting the magnification, target knobs coming off in my hand while making adjustments and one that ended up full of water after spending a couple hours hunkered under a tree in a light rain shower glassing for deer. I feel as though I have given them more than a fair shake and at this point cringe every time a client brings one in to mount on their rifle. The first thing anyone says about Vortex optics when asked about them is that their warranty and customer service is fantastic, which it is, but that alone should tell you something.

Not always the first thing but it does tell you they care about their customers and if there is an issue they get it taken care of fast. If you had ever had to deal with other manufacturers it's not that fast. Not even NF or S&B or USO, all of which i have had to send scopes back for repair.

Vortex did see some weak points in the Gen I PSTs and that is why they have come out with the Gen II models and taken care of issues and added more features.

If you don;t want to buy them then don't as it's your money but not everyone has had the bad luck you have had with the company and they do make a quality product. The actual percentage of trouble is no higher than other manufacturers when you look at the amount of scopes that they sell.

stomp442
06-21-2017, 11:45 AM
I no longer own any Vortex rifle scopes. I have personally owned six of them and all of them have failed within six months or less of purchase. That is a 100% fail rate for me personally. I don't think that qualifies as bad luck so much as they just make a crappy product.

holescreek
06-21-2017, 11:57 AM
Vortex ships replacement scopes out very quickly, always less than 2 week turn around time. My only complaint is I only get 1 to 2 range sessions before I have to send it back. The third replacement sat in the box for > a year because all the hassle wore me dowm and I didn't feel comfortable selling it to a friend. I finally mounted it on a 223 and again the zero started swimming around after 100 shots.

I suspect the replacement scopes they send are factory seconds.

Rob01
06-21-2017, 11:59 AM
I have 10 Vortex scopes and never an issue in much more than 6 months old and beat up pretty good at PRS, DMR and 3 gun matches. Guess I just have good luck or maybe they don't make a crappy product.

stomp442
06-21-2017, 04:56 PM
I have 10 Vortex scopes and never an issue in much more than 6 months old and beat up pretty good at PRS, DMR and 3 gun matches. Guess I just have good luck or maybe they don't make a crappy product.

I know guys personally with the same experience as you and I have seen their scopes beat to hell and still work. I certainly dont treat my equipment that way and can't get them to last. I can only speak from personal experience and unfortunately it's all been negative. I want to like Vortex I really do, I just can't do it with the track record that I have had and can't in good concience recommend them to anyone else.

LoneWolf
06-22-2017, 08:26 AM
I've been running my Gen II Razor 4.5-27x56 for about 2 years. It has seen a couple different rifles and around 5K rounds. Most of them while being beat around and turrets constantly run up and down in matches. Still holds true to this day!

Going to be picking up another one by the end of this year for the rifle I'm getting together once I get my 2nd Mausingfield in. I've seen plenty of PST run hard as well. I think the Gen 2 PST is a huge upgrade from the Gen 1 based on the new turret system. Everything else looks pretty similar.

Banana Juice
06-23-2017, 04:56 AM
I'm going to echo what others have said..... Go with a Sightron. Now with that being said, I own 2 Vortex 4-16X50 Vipers. I have had zero issues with them. I bought them only because Cabela's had them for an outrageously low price. Vortex claims to have an unconditional lifetime warranty on these scopes, and I will not hesitate to use it if I ever need to.

I own 3 Sightrons and just find them to be a better scope for the money. The Sightron glass is comparable to Leupold and Nightforce. They too offer a lifetime warranty which I have used once. My first Sightron was a SIII 10X42. I ordered it and it was defective right out of the box. Sightron customer service was polite, quick, and made it right - no questions asked.

I have since purchased 3 more Sightron scopes, one of which is comparable to the 2 Vortex scopes I mentioned previously. In a head to head comparison, I give the Sightron the win. The glass is clearer, the clicks are more solid and repeatable, tracking is spot on and focus and parallax is better. I also notice that they just feel more "solid".... so to speak. It makes me feel as if they are built better, or perhaps could handle more abuse, or will just simply last longer.

Long story short, if you get a screaming deal on a Vortex, go for it. It will most likely serve you well, and if it fails, hopefully they will take care of it. But if all things are equal, and you are paying full price, I 100% would go with the Sightron. If you shop around online, you can find good deals. The last one I got, a 6.5-24X has a list price or $1250 or something like that. I found one for $720, and it will go toe to toe with my buddy's $2500 Nightforce.

Just my $0.02...... Hope it helps someone.

Best of luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

keeki
06-23-2017, 05:47 AM
I'll go with stomp on this one, had nothing but issues with vortex. The best vortex is a sightron or burris

J.Baker
06-25-2017, 08:23 PM
So here's my worthless 2 cents for the O/P's question...

1. Only issue I've had with a Vortex was with one of the cheap Crossfire's (the originals, not the newer Crossfire II's)
2. I generally stick with the Viper line or higher lines as I tend to prefer better glass.
3. I do have an older Diamondback 6.5-20 that's still in use and presently have one of the new Diamondback Tactical 3-9x's in for review.
4. Never had to make use of their warranty and two of my Vortex optics I've had for nearly 10 years now.

Still own plenty of Leupold's, Nightforce, Bushnell, Minox, Nikon, Pentax and other brands of scopes that I'm perfectly happy with as well.

If I had to make one complaint about the Vortex scopes is that they seem to be a little more sensitive to eye-alignment than others.