PDA

View Full Version : rear elevation adjustment when shooting from a Bipod

Ray1953
06-14-2017, 01:51 PM
Over the years I have used various methods for my rear height adjustment when shooting from a bipod. Sand bags. beanbags, rear rests, even my fist. What I use now is a lab jack. These are small inexpensive scissors jacks that come in various sizes. They will hold more than enough weight to support a rifle. They come in various weight capability and plate sizes, 4"x4", 6"x6", etc. I find them to be stable, and provide a very fine height adjustment. I have added a thin rubber pad to mine. It serves no function really just like having one. I use mine to support the HS precision stock on my Savage 110 FCP in 338 Lapua Magnum, so it can handle the recoil. I have found with my stock, placing the jack under the pistol grip provides a good location for support and better recoil effect, since the bottom of the stock is tapered at the sling mount. This location does not interfere with my trigger hand placement. I align the adjustment knot to the left (I am right handed). after adjusting and during trigger pull process my left hand really has little to do. I have found grasping the fore stock will help return to target POI after recoil. The jack works great whether shooting prone or from a bench....not much use for standing or for kneeing firing positions though....lol

Deadshot2
06-14-2017, 05:01 PM
Are you referring to something like this?
https://www.southernlabware.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/700x/17f82f742ffe127f42dca9de82fb58b1/m/l/mlbcc-f8hwjgicndqmcgsrplcglwlsdrp9wtct4o938.jpg

I can see how it would work well for the Range but I prefer either a cylindrical "Bean Bag" or an Accushot Monopod.

Easier to carry when not shooting at an established range or when you have to move from position to position to shoot.

LoneWolf
06-14-2017, 06:31 PM
I picked up a Reasor Precision Solutions Game Changer bag a while back and it has become my universal bag used for 95% of my shooting. Whether shooting off a barricade or other random obstacle to bipod and read support positions it's weight, compression level, and stiffness have been extremely adaptable for both range and field shooting. It's my #1 top pick for a rear bag hands down!

Ray1953
06-14-2017, 08:50 PM
Yep.....that is what I mean. Yes I also have a sandbag I use for non-range work. Is part of a 3 bag shooting rest I acquired a few years back

Deadshot2
06-14-2017, 08:50 PM
I picked up a Reasor Precision Solutions Game Changer bag a while back and it has become my universal bag used for 95% of my shooting. Whether shooting off a barricade or other random obstacle to bipod and read support positions it's weight, compression level, and stiffness have been extremely adaptable for both range and field shooting. It's my #1 top pick for a rear bag hands down!

Darn you! I just resolved to stop buying gear for the rest of the year. Looks like my wallet's going to take a hit and another resolution goes down the flusher.:p

That's one sweet design. Also looks like it could be used as a make-shift pillow for an impromptu nap :cool:

LoneWolf
06-14-2017, 08:56 PM
https://youtu.be/Eu3XBUizOOA

Here's an example of its adaptability!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ray1953
06-14-2017, 09:28 PM
Mine only cost $29 at amazon...the had cheaper ones but the plate size i wanted aand I thought best to get a strong one due to the Lapua

Mozella
06-15-2017, 04:21 AM
Great idea, but leave it at home if you shoot F-Class. Both the Open class and F-TR class rules say, in part: "Mechanically adjustable rear rests are not allowed".

Robinhood
06-15-2017, 09:27 AM
What I have learned about asking questions on forums is that most people do not offer enough information. Not realizing that the more information they offer the better the responses.

Are we talking about competition or just banging steel? From prone or other positions or we talking about bench? there are quite a few options and they vary greatly depending on rules and style of stock.

Ray1953
06-15-2017, 12:50 PM
I was talking of range use not competition. You can not use a muzzle brake in F-Class and I certainly would not fire a 338 Lapua Magnum without one. As stated it works for both prone or bench shooting. I am shooting the HS Precision Stock and place it under the pistol grip area. I find it less susceptible to vertical POI variation due to changing downward pressure than a sand or bean bag. The muzzle brake on a 110 FCP has no vents in the downward direction. This help diminish muzzle climb but there is a tend toward a downward recoil effect with the rifle. It provides a finer elevation adjustment for ELR shooting than a bag. When you get old you have to get "creative" to keep up with the young ones.....lol. I have a Caldwell Lead Sled 3 and actually I fire better groups using a bipod and a jack than I do with the sled. I have a very simple goal with this rifle....hit a 1 MOA size steel target out to max range, 1- 2 miles, first shot.

yobuck
06-15-2017, 03:27 PM
Was the lead sled created as a device to assist with recoil? or as a device to improve groups?
Certainly less recoil would as a rule produce better groups also, but that's not the point of my question.
Ive frankly never seen a lead sled in use, and I'm very familiar with many people who shoot very large cartridges.
Ive never used one, but it appears to me that the most improvement in rests to come along lately are the joy stick type front rests.
No doubt the consistently small groups being shot today in 1000 yd benchrest by many shooters can be attributed to rapid fire shooting,
with help from the front rest they use.