PDA

View Full Version : Bolt handle

RetiredArmy
06-13-2017, 08:30 PM
Looking to change bolt handle on my Axis. Anyone have an opinion on the glades handle advertised for the axis? Any primary extraction issues?
Thanks Bill

foxx
06-13-2017, 09:04 PM
Just make sure it is truly for the Axis and not a model 10 version they say will work for both. If it truly for the Axis, should be fine.

LoneWolf
06-14-2017, 09:57 AM
Back when I first started in this arena I ended up grinding down the factory football knob and then threading it to put an aftermarket knob on. It worked out perfectly! I know Phoenix Custom Rifles offered this service for Axis Bolt handles. I figured with it being like a $15 part I could go ahead and get another one if I messed it up. There have been many threads here arguing about the Glades Bolt Handles offered for the Axis. I am unsure of the current status of what they offer though.

RetiredArmy
06-14-2017, 10:31 PM
Thanks lonewolf called savage today, $16.00 for a new axis handle, I to will give the threading my own handle a try.
Thanks Bill

DrThunder88
06-15-2017, 11:39 AM
Threading your own is a good way to go. Here's how I did mine. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fczCGdZG1iM&list=PL6mstF7_2-gm3WnoBZZ1QLpjIeoFWXqg9&index=2)

celltech
06-15-2017, 09:49 PM
After watching Thunders guide I was inspired to do all 3 of mine...was a lot of fun and a good learning experience! I am kinda miffed about how $$$ some of the metal knobs are in the market. I ended up finding some cheap ones on e-bay that work fine.

DrThunder88
06-18-2017, 12:10 PM
I have an additional video on that subject! (https://youtu.be/f3CFPTXQW3o?list=PL6mstF7_2-gm3WnoBZZ1QLpjIeoFWXqg9) But a good deal is a good deal. As long as the bolt knob is made of something with more structural integrity than old cheese, it will probably be sufficient.

Robinhood
06-18-2017, 01:59 PM
Just what is it you do not like about old cheese? I am fond of the Blue variety with the right bottle of wine and crackers

celltech
06-18-2017, 06:52 PM
I have an additional video on that subject! (https://youtu.be/f3CFPTXQW3o?list=PL6mstF7_2-gm3WnoBZZ1QLpjIeoFWXqg9) But a good deal is a good deal. As long as the bolt knob is made of something with more structural integrity than old cheese, it will probably be sufficient.

I did watch that video and maybe I am a knob snob...but I just wanted the look and feel of metal :p But what you have done is great and well appreciated!

RetiredArmy
06-21-2017, 07:00 PM
Bolt handle arrived, used drthunder88's instructions. Worked very well, about 30 min worth of work. $9.00 bolt knob from eBay. Beats $55.00 bucks any day. Thanks Dr. Could not be happier with the results.
Bill

LoneWolf
06-21-2017, 07:04 PM
Bolt handle arrived, used drthunder88's instructions. Worked very well, about 30 min worth of work. $9.00 bolt knob from eBay. Beats $55.00 bucks any day. Thanks Dr. Could not be happier with the results.
Bill

Get us a picture! Glad it worked out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DrThunder88
06-21-2017, 09:52 PM
Excellent work!

Just what is it you do not like about old cheese? I am fond of the Blue variety with the right bottle of wine and crackers

Blue cheese is fine, but unless it's OD green, it won't match my rifles!

Mawgie
06-25-2017, 01:31 PM
I recently purchased a Glades bolt knob for a Model 14 build. The quality, fit and finish are excellent. No complaints.

foxx
06-25-2017, 03:34 PM
^^^Yes, but the Axis model is, and must be, a different design. At one time they were selling bolt handles for model 10/110 series of rifles saying they also worked well for the Axis, which they don't. Whether the Axis style is as good as the 10/110 is the concern.

Mawgie
06-25-2017, 03:50 PM
^^^Yes, but the Axis model is, and must be, a different design. At one time they were selling bolt handles for model 10/110 series of rifles saying they also worked well for the Axis, which they don't. Whether the Axis style is as good as the 10/110 is the concern.

I am aware of the fitment issues, foxx. The point and substance of my post was merely to add a subjective impression re: quality.

Axis223Shooter
06-26-2017, 07:41 PM
Glades does have bolt handles for the Axis with primary extraction. I bought it for my cheapy 223 Axis and works fine. The only complaint I had was that the knob would come loose from normal use, so I applied some Teflon tape on the thread and that took care of the coming-loose issue.

Mawgie
06-26-2017, 08:35 PM
Glades does have bolt handles for the Axis with primary extraction. I bought it for my cheapy 223 Axis and works fine. The only complaint I had was that the knob would come loose from normal use, so I applied some Teflon tape on the thread and that took care of the coming-loose issue.

I had the same issue and used Loc-Tite on mine. Easy fix. Mine also clears my scope (Zeiss conquest 3x-15x) way better than the factory handle. So, in addition to being tacti-cool, it actually makes cycling the bolt easier.