PDA

View Full Version : Savage 99: Optics

TinBC
06-12-2017, 04:00 PM
I am a new rifle hunter and have inherited a 1956 Savage .308 Model 99 from my father. The gun has taken numerous deer, moose and bear during its days with him and he always liked the open sights. The rifle is not tapped. I am thinking about putting a scope on it and was wondering what other members might recommend. From the research that I have done there are a few items that I think that it should have; minimum 3-9 x zoom, ~4" eye relief, anti-fog, +40mm objective lens and BDC. I plan to use the rifle for deer and moose primarily so I'm thinking that shots of 300+ yards will be rare. I have also noticed that prices go from cheap to OMG but I am hoping to stay within the $300-$400 range. Any help that you could provide me with will be most welcomed.

Chrazy-Chris
06-12-2017, 04:41 PM
My advice, take it for what it's worth, is that your dad's rifle carries more sentimental value than any other gun you could buy. Definitely don't make any major changes to it. Ask yourself if tapping it for a scope is going to alter it in a way that might decrease the sentimental value you see in it. If so, a decent hunting rifle can be found for around $400. On the other hand, maybe adding a scope would add sentimental value because it would allow you to hunt with it yourself and bag some game with the same rifle your dad used. A few tapped holes may not make that big of a difference to you. I definitely wouldn't remove the old iron sights.

In that price range, I would start by looking at a Leupold 3-9x40. I always thought their gloss black scopes were a perfect compliment to an old blued rifle. I've also had good luck in a durable hunting scope with the Nikon Buckmaster, but I'm not sure they carry that line any more. Finally, Vortex has really made a name for themselves in the mid-range priced scope market. Take some time to shop around for a good mounting solution, too and perhaps work with your gunsmith to drill/tap the holes specifically for your mounting setup. On a rifle like the one you're describing, I'd take a good look at the Talley rings that don't use a separate mount (I think they call them one piece rings) but you'll want to consider lapping these (something your smith should be able to do while he's at it). Since they are two separate pieces and don't use a mount, there's more opportunity for some slight misalignment.

Good luck!

ETA - this is the scope I had in mind http://www.midwayusa.com/product/965709/leupold-vx-2-rifle-scope-3-9x-40mm

TinBC
06-12-2017, 07:21 PM
Thanks Chris, your comments are appreciated. My father has taken lots of game with the rifle just as it is so there is no reason I shouldn't be able to do the same. Maybe its time to start looking at some new rifles.

Big Al1
06-13-2017, 09:36 AM
There are several no drill mounts available for a 99. Stith made one that mounts the rear base to the tang screw hole and the front base to the rear sight dove tail. But finding one will be semi difficult and they are pricey!!

https://tse2.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.TAh5KYltu3Ov-ucU7Wz1IQEsCj&w=300&h=163&c=7&qlt=90&o=4&pid=1.7

There's also another no drill mount I've seen on the forum. It's current manufacture, just can't remember the name of it, but here's a picture.
https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.KL4ACdaP-_OkkzkPPzkgwQEsDh&w=241&h=177&c=7&qlt=90&o=4&pid=1.7 Maybe somebody else will know who makes it. Calling Mad Dog!!

Big Al1
06-13-2017, 09:45 AM
Found the link!!
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/7536393/Lightfoot_Scope_Mount

Big Al1
06-13-2017, 06:27 PM
After a little searching I found the guy that makes them. Here's the info he gave me. His e mail is 1watson@cox.net
939-498-8667
Drilling and tapping will cost maybe half what the mount cost, I'd go with the mount to keep things original. Hope I've been a help!!

I start with aLeupold 1 piece mount made for the factory drilled and tapped Savage 99. I have extensions welded on and then shape and finish it with hand tools in mygarage. I use a factory drilled and tapped EG as a jig for fitting. The mounting holes are elongated to account for differences in manufacturingacross models.

I build this tomount like the Stith does using the 2 tang holes and the rear sightdovetail. See the attached pics and instructions.

You will need tobuy a set of Leupold or Redfield standard rings to mount the scope.

I need to know themodel and SN of the gun you want to scope. I also need the distance fromthe receiver ring to the rear of the dovetail. I’ve attached apicture so you know what I mean.

It’s about 3-3/16” on the 99 fixed frames; 3.160” measured with acaliper. The older takedowns are usually around 3” - but it does vary.

The 1899 models rear sight is about 5-3/8” from the receiver ring. Ican build one but it is a longer lead time.

I get $170 shippedfor it in the U. S. $195 to Canada. I accept PayPal in the U.S.with a $5.00 markup to cover their fee - $8.00 for Canada.

See the attachedand let me know your decision.

TinBC
06-13-2017, 07:49 PM
Thank you Big Al1!

Model24
08-08-2017, 11:15 PM
Pardon me if I'm kicking a zombie thread. I'm curious what you ended up doing.

I've recently a acquired an EG that's been D&Td. I'm very torn about scoping it at all, and it doesn't help that the action is so far forward. Currently available scopes have short tubes and short (3 - 4 inch) eye reliefs. None of the mounts I've found set the scope back far enough. My advice is to check your cheek weld and eye relief carefully before committing to a scope. The only solution I've found is a vintage scope with a long tube, or the Bushnell 3-9x40 Multi-X (613947) that has a 6 inch eye relief.