PDA

View Full Version : CBI 25" Varmint 260 Rem Match-- Lack of Muzzle Velocity

Pages : 1 [2] 3

SageRat Shooter
06-12-2017, 07:50 PM
Have you tried any other bullets? Maybe look into the Berger VLD or Hybrid with a little bit shorter bearing surface and see if that improves velocity any.

Stomp,
I haven't tried any other bullet yet. I have another 200 ELD-X to load up, and am getting ridiculous accuracy with them. I di tell myself that if the ELDX didn't shoot for me then I'd try the Berger or SMK. I'm still new to reloading and not aware of the things that can affect load velocities other than charge, primer, seating depth, and what grain pill is being used. That may explain a little, as PSharon97 is getting so much more velocity from a barrel only 1 inch longer. I know all barrels are different, I just didn't think it would be that much different.

Thanks for the suggestion (as well as the bearing surface information) I'll look into it and give them a try after I've got the ELDXs shot up.

Phrangue,

I've found 3 loads that are acceptable for "go to loads"... and the IMR 7828 load was"lights out" accurate. So I've pretty much narrowed it down to H4350, H4831, IMR 7828. I'll take those to the field/range/hunt whatever it may be and live with the velocity that I have with them. As Stomp said earlier... "A Slow hit beats a Fast miss any day of the week".

LOL!! I just saw the other posts from Phranque and Foxx... :peace: I think I'll keep her guys... Thanks for the humor I do appreciate it!!

Phranque
06-12-2017, 08:09 PM
I'll give ya a hundred for it. ;)

LMAO.... back off, I'm at a buck-twenty five.

Phranque
06-12-2017, 08:13 PM
So I've pretty much narrowed it down to H4350, H4831, IMR 7828. I'll take those to the field/range/hunt whatever it may be and live with the velocity that I have with them. As Stomp said earlier... "A Slow hit beats a Fast miss any day of the week".

Dang... I wish I could just find some freakin' H4350 around here.

LoneWolf
06-12-2017, 09:18 PM
That's not what I wanted to hear... (I do appreciate the honesty though) I built the gun so I could shoot the High BC 6.5 Pills at long range (800-1000 yards) Dropping down to a 130 defeats the entire purpose of the build. the 130 BC drops clear down to .5 something from .625... :(

The 130 is solid with its additional velocity. Similar bridges the gap between 6 & 6.5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hafejd30
06-12-2017, 09:26 PM
You should try that in another chronograph. Just to make sure. I'm running a cbi 26" barrel (260 Rem match) with 142 smk in lapua brass using h4350 running 2835 fps. 10 ft from muzzle. Your numbers seem pretty low. Maybe use a different brass. Hornady was always softer than lapua in the rifled I've used.

I run 42.5 gr and could have went higher but went with 42.5 to save some barrel and brass life. Shot over a mile with mine

psharon97
06-12-2017, 09:45 PM
I remember... I was using your results when I was ordering my barrel because we only had an inch difference in barrel length. but you're getting 200 more fps with only a half grain difference in the H4350 load. I just got a "SLOW" barrel I think.... Figures!!! It's the story of my Life... (If it can go wrong.... IT WILL)

Others have said to try a different bullet. One would expect that the 143gr eld bullet that hornady makes would shoot the same as a 140gr berger hybrid, or a 139gr lapua scenar. However, all of these bullets will shoot differently.

SageRat Shooter
06-13-2017, 09:57 AM
Dang... I wish I could just find some freakin' H4350 around here.

I've been stockpiling it for the last 2 years, as I use it in my 30-06 for Elk, and had figured I would use it in the 260 also given how many guys have had great results with it. I've got about 3.5 pounds left. I will be moving over to all Lapua brass after the hornady brass is toast. I did go check my sheet again last night and I did get up to the 2700 FPS mark with the 42.5 H4350 load. Have yet to see what the 43 gr. load chronographs at.

Thanks as always guys!! I appreciate all the positive feedback... And I will take a look at the 130 if I can't find the happy medium with the 140s.

SageRat Shooter
06-13-2017, 10:18 AM
LMAO.... back off, I'm at a buck-twenty five.

Ahhh.... Come on fellas!!!! She's worth at least $2.00 just cuz she's so pretty to look at LOL!! Ohhh.... and I hope you Boys are LEFTIES!!

http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p385/SageRatShooter/260%20Rem2_zpsipl7ynbw.jpg?1497456512913&1497456514629&1497456514775&1497456552285

darkker
06-13-2017, 10:32 AM
Have you tried any other bullets? Maybe look into the Berger VLD or Hybrid with a little bit shorter bearing surface and see if that improves velocity any.

It doesn't, not to any significant effect like people wish it would anyhow.
When I was putting the BS claims around the FlatLine bullets to the test, I also did some testing of the Berger VLD's, SMK's, FL, and ProHunters. Across two different rifles, the same load with the same relative jump to lands, yields the same pressure and velocity. I'm sure that there is a technical difference, but it isn't one that the average Joe will see or take advantage of.

LoneWolf
06-13-2017, 11:39 AM
It doesn't, not to any significant effect like people wish it would anyhow.
When I was putting the BS claims around the FlatLine bullets to the test, I also did some testing of the Berger VLD's, SMK's, FL, and ProHunters. Across two different rifles, the same load with the same relative jump to lands, yields the same pressure and velocity. I'm sure that there is a technical difference, but it isn't one that the average Joe will see or take advantage of.

Every bullet is different. In my 243Win I tested both the 105 Hybrid and the 105AMAX. With the same charge the 105AMAX was around 80fps faster. There's no perfect science to what a bullet will do in a barrel.

RC20
06-13-2017, 02:15 PM
Once you get out past 400 yards, there is no such thing as a laser.

At least a modern gun is going out have (40 inch?) drop at 1000 yards.

So yours is 41.5 inches.

Is it accurate ? If so, good to go.

SageRat Shooter
06-13-2017, 03:36 PM
It's the most accurate barrel I've ever had thus far... I had my first "literal" One hole group @ 100 yards with the IMR 7828 load. I couldn't hold the same spot every time because the hole just kept getting bigger. By the 5th shot I was holding "in the middle of the hole".

rjtfroggy
06-13-2017, 05:20 PM
And this is why you always set elevation 1" above POA.

SageRat Shooter
06-14-2017, 02:30 PM
And this is why you always set elevation 1" above POA.

So please explain to me how that would affect by Dope inputs taken from my ballistic calculator for a 1000 yard shot. (Or is it kinda like I'm one inch high at 100 yards, so my zero is actually 175 yards?) and then calculate drop from there?

wbm
06-14-2017, 02:33 PM
So please explain to me how that would affect my Dope inputs

http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.1.cgi

SageRat Shooter
06-14-2017, 02:52 PM
Thanks WBM,

I just ran that one against my strelock app and the drop is the same... My windage however is off... mine shows 5.9 MOA and the JBM shows 7.0 MOA.... Strange.... I would have thought the elevation would have been different before the windage...

rjtfroggy
06-14-2017, 04:28 PM
The reason should have been obvious. the 1" higher is for aiming at a point on the target with out destroying that point.
Reset your elevation then use your App. and get your dope and you are good to go.

LoneWolf
06-14-2017, 04:31 PM
The reason should have been obvious. the 1" higher is for aiming at a point on the target with out destroying that point.
Reset your elevation then use your App. and get your dope and you are good to go.

I only offset my POI from POA during load dev. Otherwise I want it to hit precisely based on my aim point/holdover.

It's the way the reticle is designed to work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SageRat Shooter
06-14-2017, 04:56 PM
Ok... That makes sense.... I thought froggy was saying to just setup your scope with that one inch above POA and then leave it there.... That's the part that was confusing me. I get what he was saying now.

Thanks again all,

RC20
06-14-2017, 07:04 PM
If a group happens to fall on point of aim for me its an accident.

This is just my take.

Otherwise I will shoot all 5 as long as they are on the target (marking it of course when I get to the target that was what it was and its data string)

If the next 5 are not where I roughly want them, they get shot as well and then another move.

I look to move it over so its falling someplace about an inch around the POA.

If I ever do any match shooting POA and POI need to be the same though as I recall one type of shooting you could go for groups size or closest to the POA as your choice.

If going for POA, then you should shoot separate sub target each time. Of get it out far enough it self separates and is not an issue.

Me, if the group is good I don't need to hit a given point. Not sure if that is heresy or not.

When range gets long enough and win becomes an aspect that gets different. Happy to shoot my groups in the meantime.