PDA

View Full Version : Savage Hog Hunter Rail Mount problems

mfulton12
06-12-2017, 12:15 AM
Hey everyone,

First time poster here and I have a question about the rail mount that I just bought for my savage hog hunter model 11. After doing some research on multiple forums and on the Vortex website I decided to purchase an EGW rail for my rifle. Upon trying to install the rail I noticed that either a) the torx screws that came with the rail are to big, as in fat or wide. When looking more closely at the rifle and the pre drilled holes for mounting I noticed that there may be 6-48 dummy screws inside of the pre-existing mounting holes.

So here are my questions.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Can I remove the dummy screws?

If so what tool can I use to do so?

Do I just need to find slimmer torx screws?

Thanks for your help!!

-Michael

LoneWolf
06-12-2017, 08:03 AM
I would check to see if the EGW rail is set up for the heavier 8-40 screws. If that is the case the best thing would be to have your action re-tapped for the heavier screws as they are more reliable under recoil. Otherwise I would exchange the rail with EGW for one that will fit the factory threads.

As far as removing the "dummy" screws. I believe the are most likely set screws filling the holes since the HH comes with Iron sights. They're most likely going to be allen head screws. If you can't see the top of the screws use a flashlight to identify before attempting removal.

Robinhood
06-12-2017, 09:55 AM
assuming you do not have dial calipers, test the screws by inserting the threaded end though the bottom of the mount. Test the head by turning the screw upside down and sliding it into the counter sink.