PDA

View Full Version : New Owner, Old Savage

TinBC
06-11-2017, 07:10 PM
Hello to All,
I am the proud new owner of my father's 1956 .308 Model 99. It originally had a Monte Carlo stock on it but he didn't like it so he handed to my Grand-Father and asked him to cut it down. I remember as a young boy watching Grampa use his jack-knife to do the initial work then fine tuning that with a piece of sandpaper. Today you would never know that the stock was ever touched. As Dad likes to say, "1956 was a good year for me. I got a new rifle, shot a beautiful buck (just missed making the books), got a new car and also got a new son (that would be me)." I always laugh at his order of things but at least I made the list.
I had been doing some research on the rifle when I came across this website. It appears to be a great place for information and interesting posts about the Savage and I hope to be able to get some feedback on the many questions I have about the gun. I used to bow hunt but had gotten away from it for years and this fall I will be trying gun hunting for big game for the first time. Living in British Columbia, Canada affords me ample opportunities to hunt different species in wide variety of terrain.
Looking forward to posting and reading about other owners do with their Savage. Good shooting to all.

drybean
06-11-2017, 07:42 PM
Welcome aboard

mjcmichigan
06-11-2017, 08:46 PM
Welcome aboard. My father-in-law has a 99F in 308win. Loves it. Tack driver. 4 or 5 bears and a lot of deer. You enjoy the lever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ttexastom
06-12-2017, 10:46 AM
Welcome to the forum

ragsflh
06-12-2017, 11:30 AM
howdy

Hotolds442
08-14-2017, 08:46 AM
Welcome!