PDA

View Full Version : AI case issue

243LPR
06-09-2017, 11:07 PM
I have a 6mm Rem AI that I have been shooting for quite a wile now. I've only ever used a Lee collet for neck sizing and noticing lately that loaded rounds are chambering kind of hard. So I ordered a Redding body die and no matter how I have it adjusted they still are tight when chambered. Cases are not over length and it seems like it is pushing the shoulder back some, just not having the desired effect. Any suggestions?

Robinhood
06-10-2017, 06:16 AM
Trimmed to length?

m12lrs
06-10-2017, 07:25 AM
Have you used a headspace gauge to measure how much you are bumping the shoulder?

You probably need to bump about .002

Of course the base of your brass might have expanded too. Measure brass the chambers easy to brass that doesn't and compare.

This is why many who neck size periodically full length resize. This is.why i quit neck sizing and went to full length resizing.

Zero333
06-10-2017, 03:55 PM
Full Length sizing die is what you need.

When the brass chambers but the bolt is hard to close, you need to bump the shoulders at least 0.003" to 0.004"

A body die squeezes the body of the brass, forcing it to reshape. Therefore consequently the shoulders of the brass try to go forward.

Think of a water balloon, and squeeze it's sides. The other sides expand as a result.
Brass sizing to some extent does the same thing.

243LPR
06-10-2017, 09:32 PM
I was under the impression that a body does the same thing as a FL die except not sizing the neck. I'm setting the shoulder back approx. .005". I'll try measuring the base.

243LPR
06-10-2017, 10:51 PM
Brass is not over-length. Bases measure .471,which according to cartridge drawings,that is right at max. I have the case as far in the body die as I can get it. looks like I bought a die for nothing.

mjcmichigan
06-11-2017, 11:08 AM
I guess one last-suggestion, make sure your chamber is clean. I know it matters on shotguns. I have run into that on a bottle neck case. I would have said bump the shoulder 0.001-0.002. I suppose you could bump 0.01 and see if that helps it chamber. I do use the collet die on my 3006, but the bump approach works fine for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

390fe
06-11-2017, 03:37 PM
Do you have your Redding body/shoulder die set up so that the shellholder cams-over - making full contact at the top of the stroke?

If that doesn't solve your problem, you may need these:
http://www.redding-reloading.com/online-catalog/35-competition-shellholder-sets

390fe
06-11-2017, 03:42 PM
I guess one last-suggestion, make sure your chamber is clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very good point.

243LPR
06-11-2017, 04:40 PM
Do you have your Redding body/shoulder die set up so that the shellholder cams-over - making full contact at the top of the stroke?

If that doesn't solve your problem, you may need these:
http://www.redding-reloading.com/online-catalog/35-competition-shellholder-sets

Yes it is.

mjcmichigan
06-11-2017, 05:23 PM
Lol. Feeling like Colombo today, "one more thing", did your 6mm come from the factory? Or did some one rechamber it?

You are on the right track. Some thing is not fitting, and most the time it's a die adjustment, if the reamer for AI wasn't done properly, that can open up harder to answer questions if the die adjustment doesn't get you there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

243LPR
06-11-2017, 08:27 PM
It is a Shaw barrel from Gunshack. My concern is that if I buy a FL die from Redding it will be the same dimensions for the body as the body die.

snowgetter1
07-07-2017, 01:07 AM
I have just gone through this with my 22-250AI. I had the Redding bump shel holders and that still did not set the shoulder back. Ended up grinding a little at a time off the full lenght size die until the brass would chamber.

Randominator
07-08-2017, 03:27 PM
I have two different custom dies sets for wildcat chamberings that would not touch the shoulder after fire-forming the parent case. In both cases, I had to chuck the sizing die up in a lathe and trim about .010" off the length of the die in order to get it to make enough contact with the case shoulder to bump it back. It's the difference between the die dimensions from the manufacturer and whoever reamed the chamber in the gun.

Zero333
07-11-2017, 09:25 AM
Maybe the bullets are jamming in the rifling ???

Iowa Fox
07-11-2017, 04:42 PM
The Redding body die is a good one, will do everything a FL die will do except size the neck, or should I say pull them crooked. I can't get anyplace close to touching the shell holder with any of my Redding dies or they would all set the shoulder to far back.

1-Redding body die cleaned well internally
2-Redding shell holder
3- good sizing lube applied with your fingers , the brass has to move freely in the sizing die
4- correct OAL of case
5-clean chamber
6- clean bolt, no primer bits in the firing pin or spring.
7- call Redding If its an issue on their end they will fix you right up.
8- Maybe this should have been #1 tools to measure whats going on.

This is not meant to be a smart but reply.

243LPR
07-13-2017, 04:56 PM
Maybe the bullets are jamming in the rifling ???
Does it with an empty case.

243LPR
07-13-2017, 04:58 PM
Maybe I just have a tight chamber.