PDA

View Full Version : Lab radar

Frog
06-09-2017, 08:56 PM
Took out for the first time today with a 6.5 cm. I shot 50 times. Note to self: make sure you activate it prior to shooting. I had issues with it capturing all the readings from all 5 distances. It would always get the first 2, but I never had it get more than 3. Is this an alignment issue? I'm gonna get a small round laser or something, I had trouble pointing it. It's hard to hit up and down and side to side. I read using a speed square but there's got to be fool proof way. I'm just guessing this is why it would not capture all the distance readings. Oh, this was at 100 yards also. I ordered the usb battery with it but it died just when I was going to see if it could capture a 25g 17 wsm bullet. So I'm gonna find a bigger one that will last longer. Any suggestions on a tried and true battery? I was impressed with it other wise. It did capture every shot it was spose to. I had I 5 shot group that had an sd of .2. Neat stuff.

Phranque
06-10-2017, 01:18 AM
Yes, it does help to activate it... :rolleyes:

I have the screensaver & arm times set at the longest available times (10 minutes & 5 minutes), have used it for 6 solid hours, and this USB battery was only about a third down at the end of the day: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AANQLRI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What distances do you have set up to read at? With my 7mm-08, I have it set up at 20, 40, 60, 70, 80. I typically have 100% pick-up out to 70yds, and start getting dropped velocities at 80, and since your 6.5 is a bit smaller, I might expect a little shorter distance (smaller the round, less radar range).
Also, is your radar on the bench next to you? If you look at your string of data, are you getting more pick-ups at the beginning of your shooting, and dropping more distance shots later in your shooting? If so, even though you were initially aligned, repeated recoils vibrating through the bench can eventually "walk" your unit's base, causing the radar cone to shift from it's initial aim... I usually use a couple of small bar clamps to lightly secure it to the table (doesn't need to be guerrilla tight). If I'm running the suppressor and have to get it out in front of the muzzle, I clamp it to a shelf board and extend that out in front of the bench.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t93/phranquey/Bench%20a_zpsep3nioru.jpg

noname
06-10-2017, 08:28 AM
Been thinking of getting one of these,but have waiting to see other reports befor spending the cash.
Like the first poster says about his,makes me wonder about it..Then I could get rid of my other
barrel mounted mag 2...So hope to seemore positive reports..

bearcatrp
06-10-2017, 09:08 AM
Put a straw or something similar to help you aim the unit. Told labradar when they do a version 2 to incorporate an aiming device. BTW, just go an email back from them about the blue tooth. Around August it should be released. Will be nice to not touch the unit when making adjustments.

Phranque
06-10-2017, 11:22 PM
Been thinking of getting one of these,but have waiting to see other reports befor spending the cash.
Like the first poster says about his,makes me wonder about it..Then I could get rid of my other
barrel mounted mag 2...So hope to seemore positive reports..

Absolutely love mine... Though I'm sure there are a few bum units out there, especially with something new like this, most of the negatives I've seen can usually be attributed to user/setup/aiming error. As I posted in another thread... last time I had mine out, I had it on the most sensitive setting so it would pick up my suppressor shots, had a 338 w/brake 3 benches down, and it picked up all 150 of my shots without a single error or mis-read.

I do have to admit that with the base, carry case, and USB battery, nearly $700 was a pretty tough spend, but I haven't had any issues with mine, or a single moment of buyer's remorse. Certainly nothing wrong with the Magneto's... I've used them, and really have nothing against them other than having something strapped to the end of the barrel. I'm usually not one to jump on the "new tech" bandwagon, but I couldn't resist this one, and admittedly have become a fanboy.

noname
06-11-2017, 08:06 AM
certainly appreciate the added reply's.A friend of mine is thinking of getting one so
maybe I will let him get his and borrow it..lol

Frog
06-11-2017, 10:23 AM
I am glad I got it and would do it again. Pricey, but you only live once. If you have the usb power pack hooked up and batteries in it, what one does it use first??

Aiming straw, simple. I like it. thanks for that. Tab duh moment for me.

Phranque
06-11-2017, 05:05 PM
I am glad I got it and would do it again. Pricey, but you only live once. If you have the usb power pack hooked up and batteries in it, what one does it use first??

Aiming straw, simple. I like it. thanks for that. Tab duh moment for me.

Manual doesn't say not to, but I never have AA batteries in the unit if I'm running the USB pack... I just keep a set in the bag just in case something were to happen to the USB in the middle of a shooting session.

I never tried the straw aiming... speed square always worked for me. If I were to, I'd take a small needle file and smooth down the panel lines inside the v-notch so the straw nestle down in there nice and flush without rocking around.

Frog
06-18-2017, 02:56 PM
It picked up 18 out of 20 shots out of my ruger mark 2. .22 pistol.