PDA

View Full Version : Savage Model 10 Stock Questions

WYGuy23
06-09-2017, 10:45 AM
I have an early 90's model 10 in .300WM with a wooden stock that has seen better days, I am looking to build this rifle up a little bit, and am starting out with the stock. The rifle is primarily my elk and mule deer gun. I have done quite a bit of searching on this forum and have read most of the relevant threads but I guess I am just looking for an opinion before I buy. I am pretty much set on a Bell & Carlson stock, simply because it falls within my price range, I like the color options they have available, and they get favorable reviews. My rifle is a staggerfeed, blind magazine, top bolt release with the standard barrel, which is a sporter profile I believe. I see that B&C has the Medalist stock, as well as the newer M40 style stock which would fit this rifle. The M40 is contoured for the heavy barrel profile. Would the extra space in the barrel profile be that much of an issue with the M40 stock? I do plan on a bipod, and I see that the M40 has an extra stud for attachment. Is one stock better suited for hunting than the other? Is the M40 going to be noticeably heavier? I am a taller guy, is LOP going to be an issue with one vs. the other? Any other options out there I should be looking at in that price range?
Thanks for the help.

darkker
06-09-2017, 10:55 AM
1) The M40 is contoured for the heavy barrel profile. Would the extra space in the barrel profile be that much of an issue with the M40 stock?
2) I do plan on a bipod, and I see that the M40 has an extra stud for attachment. Is one stock better suited for hunting than the other?
3) Is the M40 going to be noticeably heavier?
4) I am a taller guy, is LOP going to be an issue with one vs. the other?
5) Any other options out there I should be looking at in that price range?
Thanks for the help.

1) The only "issue" is if you get bent out of shape about having more relief around the barrel. Some people don't like the way that "looks", and want things tighter. Has zero bearing on the functioning of the rifle.
2) The double is so you can use a bipod and a sling at the same time, but from different mounting locations. Use whichever one you personally like better for any given task.
3) Will have to ask B&C, but likely it will be somewhat heavier unless they use a VERY lightweight resin.
4) Again you'll have to look at the specs, or measure yourself. If memory serves, measure from the inside of your elbow to the tip of your trigger finger.
5) Never gave the prices, so hard to say. Really at any price, if you like the feel of a stock and can afford it; then anything else is irrelevant.