PDA

View Full Version : 12 fv 223 sss upgrades

bigbuster1
06-09-2017, 02:09 AM
Im planning to buy the savage 12fv in 223. When i get it i would like to send it to sss to have the barrel fluted and a muzzle brake installed.
My question to you all is, has anyone tried the muzzle brake and are the really as quiet as advertised. Sss claims 60% noise reduction.
Has anyone tried one of these? Also i they say thar most cannot tell where the barrel ends and the brake starts.

Please give me any feed back you may have.

Thanks
Jeff

J.Baker
06-09-2017, 03:06 AM
Im planning to buy the savage 12fv in 223. When i get it i would like to send it to sss to have the barrel fluted and a muzzle brake installed.
My question to you all is, has anyone tried the muzzle brake and are the really as quiet as advertised. Sss claims 60% noise reduction.
Has anyone tried one of these? Also i they say thar most cannot tell where the barrel ends and the brake starts.

Please give me any feed back you may have.

Thanks
Jeff

I think you're a little confused Jeff. Muzzle brakes don't reduce noise, they reduce felt recoil by redirecting gas. The 60% is a recoil reduction, not a noise reduction. Also, that's an average percentage and the % of recoil reduction will greatly depend on the cartridge. With a .223 you're not going to see a huge reduction as 1) there's not much recoil to start with, and 2) it's a small case meaning a much smaller volume of gas. There will be a noticeable reduction, but it's not going to be a night and day difference like going from no brake to a brake on a magnum cartridge.

And yes, I had a 26" Shilen barrel on an AR15 that had one of Fred's brakes on it.

bigbuster1
06-10-2017, 04:49 AM
Of course i know what the brake is for but reading sss description it clearly says noise on he varmint calibers. Coppied and pasted bellw.

We manufacture and install our own muzzle brakes. They are symmetrical designed with 30 radial holes and 6 linear holes for sound control. On most varmint calibers the reduction is approximately 60%. Most people can't tell where the barrel ends and the brake begins. Price includes installation.

m12lrs
06-10-2017, 05:27 AM
I certainly would not waste my money on a brake for a .223. It will just get louder and pizz off.those at the range near you.

Now Fred does great work. Just don't be in a hurry. He is a craftsman. You can't rush them.

I had him do his time and true, benchrest trigger, new stock and bedding on one of my target actions. It is such a profound improvement it isn't even like the same rifle.

bigbuster1
06-10-2017, 03:45 PM
I am
Only interested because it boasts noise reduction.

m12lrs
06-10-2017, 05:33 PM
I am
Only interested because it boasts noise reduction.

Noise reduction and reduced recoil?

Buy a suppressor

Nor Cal Mikie
06-10-2017, 07:05 PM
Muzzle brake on a .223? Had one and it was a waste of time. Did look slick tho.

psharon97
06-10-2017, 10:26 PM
I have their brake on a 7mm rem mag and by no means is it a quiet rifle, but it does significantly reduce felt recoil. It would say is brings the felt recoil down to a 223. Instead of focusing on reducing recoil by installing a brake on a 223, I would look at this: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/678973/graco-breako-mercury-recoil-reducer-standard-7-8-x-4-14-oz

It cuts down felt recoil down about 35%. Easy to install, just make sure it have a tight fit inside the stock.

holescreek
06-10-2017, 11:52 PM
Of course i know what the brake is for but reading sss description it clearly says noise on he varmint calibers. Coppied and pasted bellw.

We manufacture and install our own muzzle brakes.
They are symmetrical designed with 30 radial holes and 6 linear holes for sound control.
On most varmint calibers the reduction is approximately 60%.
Most people can't tell where the barrel ends and the brake begins.
Price includes installation.

I can't get on that site from this computer but if you break down the quote you posted above by sentence it's a little less confusing. "6 linear holes for sound control" merely adds forward venting so the entire blast isn't forced out of the sides, lessening the concussion. From a sound perspective it won't make any difference but there is a reason for that. By BATFE definition any muzzle device that reduces the sound by any amount is considered a suppressor and subject to the NFA rules. No manufacturer of a (non-suppressor) muzzle device would ever make a statement that their device reduced the sound by 60%.